Acceptance Freakout Thread

Question for you all: do you feel like you're driving your friends CRAZY with all of your grad school talk? Only two of my friends are applying at all this year, and they both applied to 1-2 programs that they pretty much know they'll get into. They don't talk about it very much.

I try to talk about it as little as possible, since the last thing I want to do is drive them crazy. One of my roommates is applying to Vet School, so we can sorta commiserate together, though the process is pretty different. Her apps were done in October, yet she still has to interview this month. Meanwhile, mine weren't all done until early Jan and I'm already out of the hole (in that I know I have someplace to go for sure).

Basically, I've let them know when I've gotten accepted someplace (I mean, it's hard for me to contain it!) and the places I get rejected from I'll just keep to myself unless asked.

Hey there,

I'm a current and future UB student, I'd be happy to do so if it's permissible (I haven't copied from the special collection, so I don't know how it's regulated).  I should be up there in a week or so (I'm currently student teaching and don't go often), so PM me what you want and I'll try to snag you a photocopy.

Congratulations!!!!

Yay!!! I'll send you a PM. We should chat!

Question for you all: do you feel like you're driving your friends CRAZY with all of your grad school talk? Only two of my friends are applying at all this year, and they both applied to 1-2 programs that they pretty much know they'll get into. They don't talk about it very much.

Meanwhile, I feel as if every other sentence I've spoken since October has been related to my applications somehow. I hear myself doing it, I think "stop, stop, no one cares!", and yet I can't help myself. Word vomit! I keep apologizing for it and I know they love me anyway, hah, but I hate that I've become like a broken record. Maybe it's not as annoying as I think it is.

I try my best not to annoy people, but it's hard. It's such a huge life event! I have a few friends that are in the application process, but I'm afraid to talk to all except one because the others haven't heard back from their schools yet (or if they have it's been negative). Hence why thegradcafe is my new go to place. 

I know I'm just a lurker, who occasionally pops out to post, but I just got the interview-email-thing from Umass! I'm so happy... it's not only where my fiancee is currently studying, but is also a great fit! ... and after so many rejections last year, it's so nice to start this whole thing off with an acceptance. I actually shrieked aloud, ran around the room, and terrified my dog. I know it's actually just the interview... but... I reckon I can get through that!

I know I'm just a lurker, who occasionally pops out to post, but I just got the interview-email-thing from Umass! I'm so happy... it's not only where my fiancee is currently studying, but is also a great fit! ... and after so many rejections last year, it's so nice to start this whole thing off with an acceptance. I actually shrieked aloud, ran around the room, and terrified my dog. I know it's actually just the interview... but... I reckon I can get through that!

You are not alone in hollering madly; I danced up and down in a room that's essentially made of windows in the middle of a teaching day.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!  :D

I can't believe it; I was sure I was out of the running, but I just received my acceptance to UB.  I want to jump up and down and blather ecstatically.  I feel like the little engine that could.  I've lost my command of the English language.

:D

Yay!!!!!!! Congrats! Glad it worked out for you!!!!!

I try to talk about it as little as possible, since the last thing I want to do is drive them crazy. One of my roommates is applying to Vet School, so we can sorta commiserate together, though the process is pretty different. Her apps were done in October, yet she still has to interview this month. Meanwhile, mine weren't all done until early Jan and I'm already out of the hole (in that I know I have someplace to go for sure).

Basically, I've let them know when I've gotten accepted someplace (I mean, it's hard for me to contain it!) and the places I get rejected from I'll just keep to myself unless asked.

daayyyumm just noticed you're in at northwestern, chicago and ucla. what's on your resume/app that's been so desirable?

very cool! if you happen to be up there on friday 2/22, let me know. looks like there are a couple grad seminars, & i've got a conference to go to that weekend so i'll be [sort of] in the area.

I'm probably going to the standard welcome week thing April 1st. If in May you find yourself in the mood to meet several additional CSU students who've just gone through this process we are in, check out this year's Significations conference, which I believe is May 11. CFP's should be trickling out.

I'm probably going to the standard welcome week thing April 1st. If in May you find yourself in the mood to meet several additional CSU students who've just gone through this process we are in, check out this year's Significations conference, which I believe is May 11. CFP's should be trickling out.

i will definitely do that. i presented last year & really enjoyed it.

you just reminded me that abstracts for (dis)junctions are due on the 15th! gotta get on that.

i will definitely do that. i presented last year & really enjoyed it.

you just reminded me that abstracts for (dis)junctions are due on the 15th! gotta get on that.

Do you have a link for the (dis)junctions conference? I was trying to find it before but couldn't for some reason.

I found it... did they extend the deadline? On the Penn CFP it says Feb 11th.

Edited by sebastiansteddy

guys, I'm so close to actually being legit in this thread -- I got a phone call today from a school.  They left a message, but, just as my luck would be, the message GOT CUT OFF!!.  There was just enough message to make me think that it's either an acceptance or waitlist at one of my schools, but . . . .?  (I sent email and left phone message with the program to let them know that I was returning phone call, but haven't heard back yet.)

nuuu-i-wuz-so-close-.jpg

Do you have a link for the (dis)junctions conference? I was trying to find it before but couldn't for some reason.

I found it... did they extend the deadline? On the Penn CFP it says Feb 11th.

oops... sorry, i got it mixed up with the deadline for CDIP.

Congrats! And thanks for saying "I reckon." I say "I reckon" all the time and people look at me like I'm a relic.

Congrats!!!!! :)   Did you get an e-mail or just check the website? Mine is still "in review."
Thanks! Found it on the website first, and an email came about 30 mins later. My official admit letter won't load though. Oh well!

guys, I'm so close to actually being legit in this thread -- I got a phone call today from a school.  They left a message, but, just as my luck would be, the message GOT CUT OFF!!.  There was just enough message to make me think that it's either an acceptance or waitlist at one of my schools, but . . . .?  (I sent email and left phone message with the program to let them know that I was returning phone call, but haven't heard back yet.)

nuuu-i-wuz-so-close-.jpg

I would probably cry if that happened!