Acceptance Freakout Thread

guys, I'm so close to actually being legit in this thread -- I got a phone call today from a school.  They left a message, but, just as my luck would be, the message GOT CUT OFF!!.  There was just enough message to make me think that it's either an acceptance or waitlist at one of my schools, but . . . .?  (I sent email and left phone message with the program to let them know that I was returning phone call, but haven't heard back yet.)

nuuu-i-wuz-so-close-.jpg

Oh my god, I'd be losing my damn mind! I hope it turns out amazing for you. You have to let us know as soon as you find out!

Question for you all: do you feel like you're driving your friends CRAZY with all of your grad school talk? Only two of my friends are applying at all this year, and they both applied to 1-2 programs that they pretty much know they'll get into. They don't talk about it very much.

Meanwhile, I feel as if every other sentence I've spoken since October has been related to my applications somehow. I hear myself doing it, I think "stop, stop, no one cares!", and yet I can't help myself. Word vomit! I keep apologizing for it and I know they love me anyway, hah, but I hate that I've become like a broken record. Maybe it's not as annoying as I think it is.

Yes. I definitely understand. My wife is understandably really tired of hearing about it, although she has also been a pretty good sport. She's anxious to know where we'll end up moving, of course, but my obsessive email checking does strike her as awfully overwrought.

Question for you all: do you feel like you're driving your friends CRAZY with all of your grad school talk? Only two of my friends are applying at all this year, and they both applied to 1-2 programs that they pretty much know they'll get into. They don't talk about it very much.

it is in sentences like this that I understand my relatively nontraditional background.  I like the implication that "only" having two friends applying "this year" is supposed to be some sort of aberration.  I am 29 and the majority of my friends do not have undergrad degrees of any sort, much less graduate aspirations.  And no, I don't talk about it. 

Edited by thestage

guys, I'm so close to actually being legit in this thread -- I got a phone call today from a school.  They left a message, but, just as my luck would be, the message GOT CUT OFF!!.  There was just enough message to make me think that it's either an acceptance or waitlist at one of my schools, but . . . .?  (I sent email and left phone message with the program to let them know that I was returning phone call, but haven't heard back yet.)

nuuu-i-wuz-so-close-.jpg

Not sure I could handle this. I feel like I would go straight to the bottle if this happened to me.  :unsure: Fingers crossed for you! 

I'm excited for all the PhDs...I got into Delaware for a fully-funded MA a couple weeks while ago and found out after a hellish flight back from the States. Waiting on Georgetown. Good luck people.

Congrats! And thanks for saying "I reckon." I say "I reckon" all the time and people look at me like I'm a relic.

Heh, I know your pain. I use words like 'Oopsy daisy', 'codswallop', 'tosh', and the like... and thanks to all who sent well wishes!

Lemme tell you why assumed rejections are a bad idea...

From the looks of the results survey, UMass Amherst had already contacted its applicants for an interview with their Writing Program. Yesterday, I sighed and crossed them off my list mentally. It's cool, I told myself. I never really wanted to live in Massachusetts (that was a lie). 

It is 6:03AM in California. I woke up five minutes ago to check my email (because I can't help it). When I saw that I had two emails, I whispered, "curses Groupon Getaways!" But then I saw the subject line... "Acceptance from UMass Amherst." 

Holy shit guys, I GOT INTO UMASS AMHERST!!!! 

The email says they I will be contacted by the Writing Program for an interview soon. It also says that I GOT INTO UMASS AMHERST! I got into a PhD program, ya'll! I already called my husband at work, but it's too early to call my friends and family... So I'm sitting in my bedroom, hopping around my mattress because I GOT IN. Weeeeeeeeee!

Sursie- I just have to say I love your picture! I am very interested in your opinion about the twilight alicorn debate. You can pm if you want just had to say. :D

For the record, I have no idea what twilight alicorn is! But if it's as hilarious as my icon, then I'm in full support. (Derp and a My Little Pony?! I knew this was the avatar for me.)

Holy shit, proflorax! Congratulations! That's a neat program and, I think, a wonderful place to live. Oh, boy, I'm jealous! Have you ever been to the Pioneer Valley of Western Mass?

Also, thanks for the narrative. Cute! And omg, I know what you mean about the irrelevant emails! GO AWAY GROUPON GETAWAYS. ;)

Holy shit, proflorax! Congratulations! That's a neat program and, I think, a wonderful place to live. Oh, boy, I'm jealous! Have you ever been to the Pioneer Valley of Western Mass?

Also, thanks for the narrative. Cute! And omg, I know what you mean about the irrelevant emails! GO AWAY GROUPON GETAWAYS. ;)

Thanks! No, I have never been in Massachusetts. I'm a Californian through and through, so living on the East Coast could definitely be an adventure! And yes, I have unsubscribed from so many email lists (MoveOn, Groupon, etc) out of pure frustration and impatience! 

Congrats Proflo! Please channel your excess goodness to us downtrodden and proceed righteously. :-)

Abso-fucking-lutely! Channeling positivity and optimism to all my GradCafe peeps! And thanks!

Like a lot of people on these boards, when I first applied to grad school, I was rejected outright from all PhD programs. I was devastated. I went to a great MA program, learned tons, made some great friends, and started dating my husband. It all worked out wonderfully, but that sting of rejection never really left my system. So, to now have an acceptance under my belt is an overwhelming feeling of redemption. Good luck to ya'll, and learn from me; assumed rejections mean nothing! 

Arggggh!  Why am I out of upvotes?  Have this:

tumblr_m1u5p7YPwY1qg6z0o.gif

I WILL HAVE IT! I WILL HAVE IT ALL DAY! THANK YOU!

An acceptance AND my very own gif... I just don't know how this day can get any better. I'm thinking celebratory burritos. 

Edited by proflorax

Thanks! No, I have never been in Massachusetts. I'm a Californian through and through, so living on the East Coast could definitely be an adventure! And yes, I have unsubscribed from so many email lists (MoveOn, Groupon, etc) out of pure frustration and impatience! 

Giant congrats Proflorax!!!!!!

Amherst is SUCH a lovely town, I bet you will love it - will you visit?

The email says they I will be contacted by the Writing Program for an interview soon. It also says that I GOT INTO UMASS AMHERST! I got into a PhD program, ya'll! I already called my husband at work, but it's too early to call my friends and family... So I'm sitting in my bedroom, hopping around my mattress because I GOT IN. Weeeeeeeeee!

YAYYYY!!!

And guess what -- me TOO! ;)  That mysterious cut-off phone message yesterday is resolved . . . . phew!!

proflorax, that means we're like, potential cohort-mates B)

First notification this season, and first acceptance.  Yes, 2013 is looking good so far.

Now we can go chat up the Writing Program interview and other stuff in the Amherst thread, but wanted to share in y'all's acceptance freakout first! 

YAYYYY!!!

And guess what -- me TOO! ;)  That mysterious cut-off phone message yesterday is resolved . . . . phew!!

First notification this season, and first acceptance.  Yes, 2013 is looking good so far.

Congrats Imogene! I'm so happy for you!

YAYYYY!!!

Now we can go chat up the Writing Program interview and other stuff in the Amherst thread, but wanted to share in y'all's acceptance freakout first! 

Congrats to you, potential fellow Umie! :D

YAYYYY!!!

Wooooooo!

CONGRATULATIONS! Amazing program and amazing area! And thanks for the positive message for the acceptance-less folks out there. :)

Thanks! I have never been to Massachusetts, so I'd glad to hear it's amazing! 

Giant congrats Proflorax!!!!!!

Amherst is SUCH a lovely town, I bet you will love it - will you visit?

Thanks! I would love to visit during my Spring Break, which is the first week of April. I'm thrilled!

YAYYYY!!!

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! Congrats! *scurries over to the Amherst thread*