Bioengineering for Fall 2013?

eio104

I applied to 9 schools. And I just got rejected from UCSD for PhD. I am about to go crazy thinking about what if I don't get in anywhere. How are you guys doing so far? Where did you apply? What are you doing to stop thinking and worrying about it? 

For bioengineering, I applied to MIT, Berkeley/UCSF, and Caltech. I got invites to MIT and Caltech interviews so far, and nothing from Berkeley/UCSF yet. I know how you feel about going crazy thinking about the consequences of not getting in, but remember that 1 day can change your attitude completely. I was going crazy and losing hope, but then one day, I got 2 invitations, just like that! 

I don't know what kind of situation you are in, but getting a job (whatever you might enjoy... for me it's been working at a coffee shop for a few months), volunteering (for local festivals or charities), and investing time in extracurricular activities (sports, choir... whatever you like) could take your mind off of the whole process! Keep yourself busy, think about exciting alternative plans that you could pursue IF you're not admitted. For me, I have a plan to go to France for 9 months to be an English teacher's assistant (there is a program like that for Canadians). This alternative plan gets me excited whenever I think about it, so that the thought of not getting accepted anywhere isn't such a big deal anymore. 

Don't lose hope! Best wishes.

Hey guys, I applied to neuroscience department for most programs, but applied to bioengineering at UCB/UCSF. I haven't heard anything from them either, and they are ignoring my emails. 

@iloveyourneighborhood, could you let me know here when you do hear from them anything?

• 3 weeks later...

while most of my applications go to neuroscience programs, I applied to the bioengineering program at U Pittsburgh. Haven't heard anything from it yet. Trying not to lose hope nevertheless my other apps don't seem to go well

Is there someone who also did not get a reply by MIT bioengineering? I wrote them twice, and did not get an answer. It is a bit annoying since they have already sent invites + rejections

Is there someone who also did not get a reply by MIT bioengineering? I wrote them twice, and did not get an answer. It is a bit annoying since they have already sent invites + rejections

If you haven't heard back yet I think its a cautious good sign. Even if they eventually reject you, it at least means they are seriously considering you (staggered decisions, and they've already rejected people) which bodes well for your applications to other schools.

If you haven't heard back yet I think its a cautious good sign. Even if they eventually reject you, it at least means they are seriously considering you (staggered decisions, and they've already rejected people) which bodes well for your applications to other schools.

Thanks for your reply - so some hope after all :-)

I have three other interviews in Boston and got rejected in CA, maybe because I'm international?

I am in the exact same situation. No rejections, no invitations, no replies to emails, nothing. MIT Bioengineering is yet to acknowledge my existence. Their FAQ page says that "... notification of selection takes place in mid/late February and will be posted on your online account..." so I guess there's still hope? Maybe those were just definite admits/rejects.