MFA Photography - post your results

glittergrill

Hey Joker, I’m still working with film too…as well as digital…and more recently making albumen prints from scratch. My focus is combining old and new processes…so not sure how this will go over with the schools I applied to. I love to hear people are still working analog. I think everyone should step in a darkroom at least once. Do you work digital at all? I was a late convert, and basically enrolled in a commercial digital photography program just to keep up with technology. Turns out I love digital just as much as analog and both have their place in my work.  

Hey meanabelle,

That's awesome your making albumen prints, I have never made those before but I would imagine it can be a little messy with all of those broken eggs. But thats a really cool idea trying to integrate old photographic processes with new ones for sure. I don't do anything digital except scan my negatives. I'm a total stubborn die hard film user and silver printer, but I suppose if pressed, I would experiment with something else. Lately I have gotten very frustrated with straight photography. All of the work that i submitted to school is all 4x5 and 8x10 silver gelatin straight stuff. And I just look at and think is that it? Haha nothing about it shows anything new, so I'm thinking I need to create something different that goes beyond the parameters of my own perception. So, I have been scratching and melting/ intentionally distressing my negatives. I'm going for a rough analogue look, which is altered and essentially something different than what I visualized initially. I just feel like photo deals so directly with how we perceive "real" to be and we spend so much time trying to perfectly represent it, I want to change how we perceive real.

Has anyone heard from Columbia College Chicago or Bard (not ICP-Bard) yet? I know Bard interviews. Not sure about Columbia College, though. 

It looks like a few of us are waitlisted at UIC (Seems like they have a total of about 4 or 5 people in their incoming classes.) Anyone have any insight into when we might hear back about our status?

Others stats:

CCA--interview

MassArt--interview

Hartford Art School--interview

Hey Joker, I’m still working with film too…as well as digital…and more recently making albumen prints from scratch. My focus is combining old and new processes…so not sure how this will go over with the schools I applied to. I love to hear people are still working analog. I think everyone should step in a darkroom at least once. Do you work digital at all? I was a late convert, and basically enrolled in a commercial digital photography program just to keep up with technology. Turns out I love digital just as much as analog and both have their place in my work.  

Hey meanabelle,

That's awesome your making albumen prints, I have never made those before but I would imagine it can be a little messy with all of those broken eggs. But thats a really cool idea trying to integrate old photographic processes with new ones for sure. I don't do anything digital except scan my negatives. I'm a total stubborn die hard film user and silver printer, but I suppose if pressed, I would experiment with something else. Lately I have gotten very frustrated with straight photography. All of the work that i submitted to school is all 4x5 and 8x10 silver gelatin straight stuff. And I just look at and think is that it? Haha nothing about it shows anything new, so I'm thinking I need to create something different that goes beyond the parameters of my own perception. So, I have been scratching and melting/ intentionally distressing my negatives. I'm going for a rough analogue look, which is altered and essentially something different than what I visualized initially. I just feel like photo deals so directly with how we perceive "real" to be and we spend so much time trying to perfectly represent it, I want to change how we perceive real.

Joker, definitely nothing wrong with straight photography. Aside from my Polaroid work, all my work was straight stuff until I started working digitally, now I’m all about having fun with crazy/wild/different colors…still straight though in the darkroom…I think there’s nothing better than a beautifully printed gelatin silver print. Scratching and melting sounds fun…I’ve always had an interest in doing something like that but haven’t gotten around to it yet. What types of things are you shooting? I’ve always wanted to work 8x10, but 4x5 is about the largest I’ve gone so far. That’s the size I’ve been shooting and contact printing my albumen prints…though, I’m going to take a stab at making digital negatives soon. I am totally still at the trial and error stage with the albumen process. I’m working on finding the proper negative density, experimenting with papers, and mixing up the right albumen and toner solutions. There are a lot of variables to work with and my time on this has been limited since I work full-time and go to school part-time/sometimes full-time. The whole process has been fun...I love all the trial and error and the amount of time it takes. It really furthers my appreciation of 19th century photographic processes.

Joker, definitely nothing wrong with straight photography. Aside from my Polaroid work, all my work was straight stuff until I started working digitally, now I’m all about having fun with crazy/wild/different colors…still straight though in the darkroom…I think there’s nothing better than a beautifully printed gelatin silver print. Scratching and melting sounds fun…I’ve always had an interest in doing something like that but haven’t gotten around to it yet. What types of things are you shooting? I’ve always wanted to work 8x10, but 4x5 is about the largest I’ve gone so far. That’s the size I’ve been shooting and contact printing my albumen prints…though, I’m going to take a stab at making digital negatives soon. I am totally still at the trial and error stage with the albumen process. I’m working on finding the proper negative density, experimenting with papers, and mixing up the right albumen and toner solutions. There are a lot of variables to work with and my time on this has been limited since I work full-time and go to school part-time/sometimes full-time. The whole process has been fun...I love all the trial and error and the amount of time it takes. It really furthers my appreciation of 19th century photographic processes.

When I distress/alter my negatives I normally only use self portraits. It's odd its the only subject I feel compelled to deconstruct. I call the technique the advanced photo 1 because I feel like just about everybody let loose in a dark room experiements with somehow altering their negatives. i'm trying to figure out a way to continually work with film/negative so its not just whether the shot is any good its about creating something that wasn't in the original visualization. I mean I could just be a fool in the rain, but I guess I won't know until I devote some time and try it. I think as long as we continue to make images, we are progressing.

So, does anybody have any news from Columbia University/RISD/MICA for photo?

I know MICA/RISD have emailed interviews for some other programs like graphic design, but I haven't heard anything, has anybody else?

Has anyone heard from Columbia College Chicago or Bard (not ICP-Bard) yet? I know Bard interviews. Not sure about Columbia College, though. 

It looks like a few of us are waitlisted at UIC (Seems like they have a total of about 4 or 5 people in their incoming classes.) Anyone have any insight into when we might hear back about our status?

Others stats:

CCA--interview

MassArt--interview

Hartford Art School--interview

We should be hearing from Bard (not ICP-Bard) this week regarding interviews. 

From the Bard website http://www.bard.edu/mfa/calendar/:

around February 19, 2013 Applicants notified of interview status

Fingers crossed and good luck!

Woah! Out of the blue phone call from UCLA. Quick 15/20 minute phone interview it was casual and not stressful and a really nice conversation!

I thought UCLA doesn't do interview?

When I distress/alter my negatives I normally only use self portraits. It's odd its the only subject I feel compelled to deconstruct. I call the technique the advanced photo 1 because I feel like just about everybody let loose in a dark room experiements with somehow altering their negatives. i'm trying to figure out a way to continually work with film/negative so its not just whether the shot is any good its about creating something that wasn't in the original visualization. I mean I could just be a fool in the rain, but I guess I won't know until I devote some time and try it. I think as long as we continue to make images, we are progressing.

So, does anybody have any news from Columbia University/RISD/MICA for photo?

I know MICA/RISD have emailed interviews for some other programs like graphic design, but I haven't heard anything, has anybody else?

Joker, your process sounds cool! I’d love to see some, but I know you don’t have a website…same here with me. I’m always interested in self-portraits, particularly because that’s what I primarily shoot. I never liked having my picture taken, but I accidentally started taking self-portraits a few years ago, and I’ve become addicted to the process. It was the challenge of being both model and photographer that drew me in…it really is a different experience than being behind the camera…you don’t see the same way, and I think there are both positives and negatives to this. I’ve become so used to this way of shooting that sometimes it feels somewhat strange for me to be completely behind the lens. It’s funny, with as many self-portraits as I’ve taken, I still feel quite self-conscious about people seeing them. I just had my first exhibit opening of my self-portraits last week and it made me so queasy. 

Interview request from Parsons tonight by email. But for those of you who don't get one, remember someone said earlier that Parson's accepted them mid March without an interview. My work is kinda out there, I'd interview me too. No word from Rutgers, though people in the other forum seems to be getting acceptances.

In a period of less than 24 hours I was first rejected from Bard and then accepted to Rutgers.

Bard notified by email 2/19, Rutgers by email 2/20 though it wasn't an official email. Stephen Westfall emailed that I was accepted and mentioned that my phone number was incorrect in slideroom. I'm supposed to call him back. 

super psyched about Rutgers!

Congrats longfeb (I like your name) and hdsl!!

Still crickets for me...but hopefully something soon. Here's where I'm at:

I did not get an interview notification from SAIC, so just waiting for the rejection letter.

After completing my application, I received an email from RIT of their timeframe, which would put me hearing approx. the end of this week.

I recently spoke with someone from Columbia College and was told they do not interview for photo, notifications go out via snail mail and prob phone call, with an approx. timeframe of three weeks from now.