is it a good idea to call and ask about the admission decision?

zoule

I am an internaitonal applicant for the journalism program at berkelely. The timeline on the school's website says the admission decision is made and announced after Feb. I wonder if it is a good idea to call the admission officier to ask about my status as a way to show your keen interest in their program?

The application deadline for my program is Dec 1 and I have already had an interview in Jan. My guess is that if their is a decision, they should have made it by now.

I was wondering the same thing.  For some reason my transcripts didn't arrive.  I think it's a mix-up between my maiden name and my married name.  I've been tracking my application online at The Graduate Center.  I kept seeing that my transcripts were not there.  Then I received an email from the department asking for my to send  unofficial transcripts as my application was under review and I could verify with official transcripts later.  I scanned them and sent them right away.  I don't know if that was  a good sign or just sop (standard operating procedures).  I want to give it at least another week, but I am so anxious!  This is my top choice and the only school I applied to.  I so hope that I get in!

I am an internaitonal applicant for the journalism program at berkelely. The timeline on the school's website says the admission decision is made and announced after Feb. I wonder if it is a good idea to call the admission officier to ask about my status as a way to show your keen interest in their program?

The application deadline for my program is Dec 1 and I have already had an interview in Jan. My guess is that if their is a decision, they should have made it by now.

I don't know too much about your field, but you may want to think twice about calling before the officially stated decision notification dates have passed.  What you might intend to communicate dedication and interest might be perceived as nagging.  Of course, it may also depend on who you call (the Director of Graduate Studies, your POI, the graduate advisor...).

That's just my two cents, though - I'm in History, so take it for what it's worth! :) Best of luck to you!

I don't know too much about your field, but you may want to think twice about calling before the officially stated decision notification dates have passed.  What you might intend to communicate dedication and interest might be perceived as nagging.  Of course, it may also depend on who you call (the Director of Graduate Studies, your POI, the graduate advisor...).

That's just my two cents, though - I'm in History, so take it for what it's worth! :) Best of luck to you!

what i intend to call is the person whom i have been writting back and forth about interview and stuff..she is probably one of the admission officier...the intention of my call is probably to get some updates on my review process and ask when is the earliest time i will get an answer..never applied for American school so no idea if it is appropriate

will asking them can increase your chances for admission?

you already had the interview and imo that was the time when they must have seen your keeness ( if that matters).

guess what you are saying is a no...thanks....

If you hadn't already interviewed, I would say it would be fine to send a polite email inquiring about the status of your application. Being that you interviewed with them so recently, I am inclined to discourage you from pressing them for an answer prior to the stated decision notification date. They undoubtedly receive many such premature inquiries which are very likely a nuisance to them--a nuisance you don't want to be a part of! :)

If you hadn't already interviewed, I would say it would be fine to send a polite email inquiring about the status of your application. Being that you interviewed with them so recently, I am inclined to discourage you from pressing them for an answer prior to the stated decision notification date. They undoubtedly receive many such premature inquiries which are very likely a nuisance to them--a nuisance you don't want to be a part of! :)

not even asking what would be the earliest time that i can hear back from them about the decision..that way i can make my schedules ahead of time :(

My thoughts exactly.  Everyone applying to your program is in the same boat, and the people involved in the admissions process likely receive many such inquiries.  Keep in mind that if you're accepted to the program, you'll be relying on those people throughout your graduate career there (and possibly beyond).  You don't want to give them a negative association with your name - hopefully you made a good impression at the interview! :) Just try to remain patient - easier said than done, I know!

My thoughts exactly.  Everyone applying to your program is in the same boat, and the people involved in the admissions process likely receive many such inquiries.  Keep in mind that if you're accepted to the program, you'll be relying on those people throughout your graduate career there (and possibly beyond).  You don't want to give them a negative association with your name - hopefully you made a good impression at the interview! :) Just try to remain patient - easier said than done, I know!

i see your points...thanks so much for the advice...i guess nobody wants a nagging student..anyway actually i was not interviewed by the admission people...as a matter of fact, i have not met a single facutly from the school...since i am based in Beijing, they invited one of their alumni to interview me, who is a very nice lady..hopefully i made a good impression...good luck with your application too:)

i called once last week and once today just to find out if interview invites have been sent out yet. was this a bad idea? the admissions office asked for my name, so i'm a little freaked out now that it will affect their decision! 

I called in December just to get a sense of when one of my programs would start notifying (info wasn't posted on the website). When asked for my name, I gave a fake one. Used a friend's phone for the call. :ph34r:

They can't count it against you if they don't know who you are...

I called in December just to get a sense of when one of my programs would start notifying (info wasn't posted on the website). When asked for my name, I gave a fake one. Used a friend's phone for the call. :ph34r:

They can't count it against you if they don't know who you are...

You are an application ninja!  Thanks for the laughs and interesting information.

There are many instances of people who learned they are accepted while they called the admission office. ( check the result page info )

So take that in mind too , especially when providing fake names :D