What are you reading?

At present, I find myself reading Vanity Fair, in the midst of an independent exploration of the 19th century British novel. No, really, it's not quite as painful as it sounds. Next on the docket will be either a little Trollope or Dickens. Any suggestions?

I know you didn't ask about Bronte, but have you read Villette? I loved it!

Moi, I too like Vanity Fair; I think Thackeray has a great narrative style: at once pompous, fawning, omniscient, and unreliable. A very compelling work, indeed.

The only work by a Bronte sister that I have read is Jane Eyre (gasp!--not even Wuthering Heights?!); perhaps I'll take the road less traveled and opt for Villette. Thanks for the suggestion!

At present, I find myself reading Vanity Fair, in the midst of an independent exploration of the 19th century British novel. No, really, it's not quite as painful as it sounds. Next on the docket will be either a little Trollope or Dickens. Any suggestions?

If you decide to go with Dickens, I personally love Bleak House. It's pretty massive, but wonderful.

While ya'll read the intellectual Literary novels, I am going to be in this corner consuming some YA fiction. In addition to being a Harry Potter fanatic, The Book Thief may be one of the most beautiful and heart-breaking pieces of prose I've ever read. I am in the middle of The Fault in Our Stars right now, and I love it. Next up, I have Code Name Verity.

Where my YA fans at?! Holler.

While ya'll read the intellectual Literary novels, I am going to be in this corner consuming some YA fiction. In addition to being a Harry Potter fanatic, The Book Thief may be one of the most beautiful and heart-breaking pieces of prose I've ever read. I am in the middle of The Fault in Our Stars right now, and I love it. Next up, I have Code Name Verity.   Where my YA fans at?! Holler.
YES The Fault in Our Stars broke me though. On the subject of John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson was one of the worst books I read last year (after It's Kind of a Funny Story and Perks of Being a Wallflower). I write this to distract myself from Ulysses.

While ya'll read the intellectual Literary novels, I am going to be in this corner consuming some YA fiction. In addition to being a Harry Potter fanatic, The Book Thief may be one of the most beautiful and heart-breaking pieces of prose I've ever read. I am in the middle of The Fault in Our Stars right now, and I love it. Next up, I have Code Name Verity.

Props to YA. My shelves are full of it because of two children's lit courses I took. I've always wondered about The Book Thief. Maybe I'll try it out! Almost finished with Beloved (second time starting it). Will I be kicked out of the English major club if I say I don't...like...it? 

YES!! Anyone who reads John Green is a friend of mine. Are you a fully assimilated nerdfighter, or just a fan of the books? I'm on a YA lit kick myself, but I've been reading a lot of self-published stuff lately. I'm actually kind of amazed how good some of this stuff is.

YES!! Anyone who reads John Green is a friend of mine. Are you a fully assimilated nerdfighter, or just a fan of the books? I'm on a YA lit kick myself, but I've been reading a lot of self-published stuff lately. I'm actually kind of amazed how good some of this stuff is.

I'm loving this conversation. I feel like I've been creepily listening and now I must join, because I've been on a serious YA kick too. Loved The Book Thief, loved The Fault in our Stars (and read An Abundance of Katherines--not as good). Code Name Verity is high on my list, so tell me how it is, proflorax! The best one I read recently was the Divergent series, but I'm trying to hit up all the big series [The Selection (better than I thought), Beautiful Creatures (saved only by the Southern Gothic elements), Delirium (didn't expect to enjoy so much), Chaos Walking (thought it'd be better)] right now because they're a great distraction from this purgatory we're all waiting in, haha. 

On a random note, just finished The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, and it was probably the best book I've read in the past year. 

Any other suggestions? I'm thinking of starting Fledgling . . .?

Oh, The Book Thief broke my heart so many times. Wonderful, wonderful. 

YES The Fault in Our Stars broke me though. On the subject of John Green, Will Grayson, Will Grayson was one of the worst books I read last year (after It's Kind of a Funny Story and Perks of Being a Wallflower). I write this to distract myself from Ulysses.

Haha Perks isn't that bad... but it definitely needs to be read at age 14-16 and then never needs to be read again. I absolutely indulged in the movie version last week, and I have NO REGRETS........

Edited by asleepawake

Haha Perks isn't that bad... but it definitely needs to be read at age 14-16 and then never needs to be read again. I absolutely indulged in the movie version last week, and I have NO REGRETS........

I will say that's probably fair. I really didn't like coming of age stories then either. Holden Caulfield is such a phony.

Woot! Glad I'm not the only YA fan in the house. 

YES The Fault in Our Stars broke me though. 

Oh no! I'm worried about that... My brother had cancer when I was in high school, so some of the plot points hit a bit too close to home. I have a feeling this book is going to destroy me!

Props to YA. My shelves are full of it because of two children's lit courses I took. I've always wondered about The Book Thief. Maybe I'll try it out! Almost finished with Beloved (second time starting it). Will I be kicked out of the English major club if I say I don't...like...it? 

Do it! Do it! The Book Thief transcends the YA genre and is just a really great book. And don't feel bad about Beloved. I didn't really love it until I read it in a class; I needed a professor to guide me through the novel to really appreciate it.

This is my first John Green book! Which is the next I should read?? AND WHAT IS A NERDFIGHTER?! I want a piece of that action!

The best one I read recently was the Divergent series, but I'm trying to hit up all the big series [The Selection (better than I thought), Beautiful Creatures (saved only by the Southern Gothic elements), Delirium (didn't expect to enjoy so much), Chaos Walking (thought it'd be better)] right now because they're a great distraction from this purgatory we're all waiting in, haha. 

On a random note, just finished The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood, and it was probably the best book I've read in the past year. 

I love the quick, brief reviews for all the series! I now have some more books to throw on my queue. I'll let you know how I like Code Name Verity when I'm done! 

Woot! Glad I'm not the only YA fan in the house.

This is my first John Green book! Which is the next I should read?? AND WHAT IS A NERDFIGHTER?! I want a piece of that action!

!

Nerdfighters are the super awesome fans of John Green and his brother Hank. They've been doing a series on YouTube since 2007 (the vlogbrothers) and they're basically amazing. Hank is actually the producer of The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. If you haven't watched them yet, you need to. All of you.