Has anyone applied to HDFS?

slowness

I wonder if there's anybody applying to Human Development and Family Studies.

Are you? :) Then let's share the info here!

(I've received one rejection until now. tears*)

I wonder if there's anybody applying to Human Development and Family Studies.

Are you? :) Then let's share the info here!

(I've received one rejection until now. tears*)

I'm applying to a related field...my POI has an HDFS doctorate.  He emailed me the day after the app due date and I spoke with him for almost an hour via phone the following day (yay?), the day before the adcom met for the first time (Friday).  Nervous as f#ck that I will or will not get in (both are scary).  If you want to PM me I'd be happy to share some more details.  I looked at quite a few HDFS programs, probably the same ones you did.

I applied to HDFS programs too! I also applied to OSU and haven't heard from them yet. Did any of you apply to Penn State?

I applied there!  Haven't heard anything from them yet...maybe hopefully next week? (wishful thinking)

How neat! Would be so cool if we ended up at the same place. I did want to let you know that I called OSU and found out that letters will go out by the end of the month. *fingers crossed for everyone* Are any of you applying directly out of undergrad?

That would be really neat if we all got in the same school!  I graduated a year ago last May and am taking this year to get some more research experience, and it has been really beneficial!  Were you applying right out of undergrad?  I couldn't imagine doing all those applications during my senior year, I was already piled with work, so kudos to you!

Edited by eaboo316

That's so smart! I'm beginning to wonder if I should have done the same thing. The biggest challenge I've had so far is my LOR's. One of my professors is on sabbatical and another abruptly left academia last summer and I haven't been able to get a hold of her. It has definitely been a stressful process! LOL.

Admittedly, I applied with little research experience. I did the McNair program at my university, so the only meaningful research I have was via the summer research internship. I am hoping that + my research method courses will make up for my lack of experience. 

Who were your POI's for the program?

That's so smart! I'm beginning to wonder if I should have done the same thing. The biggest challenge I've had so far is my LOR's. One of my professors is on sabbatical and another abruptly left academia last summer and I haven't been able to get a hold of her. It has definitely been a stressful process! LOL.

Admittedly, I applied with little research experience. I did the McNair program at my university, so the only meaningful research I have was via the summer research internship. I am hoping that + my research method courses will make up for my lack of experience. 

Who were your POI's for the program?

Ahhh I know what you mean about the application process being stressful!  Even though everything is done I am still stressed out just checking my e-mail every second of the day haha.  That's awesome that you did the McNair program, I know it's a really prestigious program and I am sure it will help your application!

I will PM you the POI's. :) 

How neat! Would be so cool if we ended up at the same place. I did want to let you know that I called OSU and found out that letters will go out by the end of the month. *fingers crossed for everyone* Are any of you applying directly out of undergrad?

I am applying directly out of undergrad. I've had a fair amount of research experience, but when I hear about others' experiences I start panicking! Who is your POI at OSU? PM me!

Edited by Silverstars

I hope we would all end up at the same school! Ohio and Penn State are both well known schools for HDFS program. So, is Ohio going to send out letters at the end of this month? Mail or E-mail I wonder.. And has everyone applied to PhD program?

I hope we would all end up at the same school! Ohio and Penn State are both well known schools for HDFS program. So, is Ohio going to send out letters at the end of this month? Mail or E-mail I wonder.. And has everyone applied to PhD program?

I'm thinking it might be both email and letter. I wasn't feeling so confident after a friend of mine told me she was admitted to her program of choice at OSU two weeks ago. She received an email from the director of the program. I've been trying to get a feel for general dates and methods of notification through the results section of this site, but I think that's just crazy-making. ;)

When I visited OSU in October, I was told that they had so many people moving onto the PhD that they only offer the PhD program now. 

Yeah, I only applied to PhD programs. Penn State is my first option but OSU would be pretty neat too! Where else did you apply?

I applied to HDFS programs too! I also applied to OSU and haven't heard from them yet. Did any of you apply to Penn State?
Maryland, Purdue, Iowa State.. (including OSU and PSU) Maryland is my dream school, but I am afraid that my research interests did not fit with any professors there. They put focus on policy, yet I am not quite interested in that area. Other schools are not bad at all, but basically I want to live near the city.

The wait is terrible.  I also regularly use my e-mail during work so it's even more nervewracking haha!  One of my co-workers is telling me to relax but it's-so-hard!

Also, for those who applied to Penn State, I'd be interested in knowing your POI's (and telling you mine as well), PM me whenever you have time :)