Has anyone applied to HDFS?

slowness

For those who applied to OSU- I called them today, and they said some of the decisons have been made this week but they are not done yet. Did anyone hear anything today? We may not hear until next week. This wait is really killing me. Fingers crossed for everyone!

AHHHHHHHHH HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD

Man I've been away too long. Anyways.

Uh, I'm a HDFS girl graduating in May with my BA in HD. Applied to four programs. Have been accepted to three, an interview at the fourth. So. It's been a good season for me. (No Penn or Ohio for me. Didn't really see much that went with my interests.)

But it's awesome to see other HDFS people!!

AHHHHHHHHH HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD

Man I've been away too long. Anyways.

Uh, I'm a HDFS girl graduating in May with my BA in HD. Applied to four programs. Have been accepted to three, an interview at the fourth. So. It's been a good season for me. (No Penn or Ohio for me. Didn't really see much that went with my interests.)

But it's awesome to see other HDFS people!!

You go!!! :) Were you by chance considering Oregon State? 

Awesome! It's nice to see so many people interested in HDFS. When I was applying, I heard a lot about how they are not as prestigious as developmental programs and it is more difficult to find jobs afterwards. Did anyone else have that experience? I decided to apply to them anyway- they seemed to be a much better fit for me than developmental psych programs!

Awesome! It's nice to see so many people interested in HDFS. When I was applying, I heard a lot about how they are not as prestigious as developmental programs and it is more difficult to find jobs afterwards. Did anyone else have that experience? I decided to apply to them anyway- they seemed to be a much better fit for me than developmental psych programs!

I never heard anything like that, but I think I'm at the biggest/one of the biggest HD department in my state, so that's probably why. HDFS and its approaches work best for what I'm interested in research-wise.

I thought I was the only one, so it's awesome to see others who are HDFS too!

I'm curious where you heard this info! I would imagine the difficulty in finding jobs would depend on what your objective is. 

I mostly heard it from developmental psych professors/students, so I suppose that explains why they might be biased. I didn't really buy it, but I was wondering if others had heard it too!

Psych has its reputation in my HD department for being special (I think the exact phrase was that they follow the beat of their own drums), so it could be that. Plus they tend to have a bit of a different research focus/bias than HDFS. Least at my University.

Hmm... I wonder how much the rankings play into what people consider prestigious. AFAIK... I haven't seen any rankings for HDFS programs. 

I think they're more general. Top program, good program, etc. I've never seen any rank list. I went purely by fit, mostly for that reason, haha.

Yeah me too! Just went with fit. What kind of career are you all looking at after a PhD?

I'd like to be a professor, probably. Wouldn't mind being an Extension faculty. I like her work/life balance (although admittedly, her youngest child is my age and she's only been a professor about 10 years). Research is a passion of mine. Not sure how much I'll like teaching, but I don't think I'll hate it. I think it'll be different when I'm not an undergrad anymore (right now guest-lecturing and the like is a bit awkward because I tend to know quite a few of the students).

Edited by nohika

Checked. Nothing yet. 

I'm not due to hear anything for another month, not until my only (and last) interview. Then again, I said that a bit ago, and was accepted early. So...

I just don't even know at this point, haha.

Do you think if OSU was going to reject us, they'd let us know by email? For the program I got rejected by, I didn't receive anything. They just updated my application status quite a while after they had sent out acceptance letters. No news better be good news!