Archaeology Applicants: The Waiting Game - Fall 2013 - Share your progress!

Armadilla

Armadilla- thank you! their forensic anthro, in a strange way, was a big selling point for me- all of the programs i applied to are terminal MAs that have good forensic anthro, bioarch, and/or zooarch electives, plus enough wiggle room for me to get a little more experience with bones. plus, everyone i've talked to in chico's department has been so sweet! being a non-resident would make them a bit more expensive, but it'd be worth it.

platypus- welcome to purgatory, hah!  :D i feel you on the lack of access to HI. my job can cover the fees, but not the airfare or accomodations- considering how little i make, i'd be seriously screwing myself over if i spent that much. alas. one day, we'll be superstar grad students, who use their powers of awesomeness and brilliance and academic charm to woo our programs into fully funding our attendance!

Hi, I've also been a lurker for a while. I'm finishing up my MA and applying to five PhD. programs. My concentration is the 18th and 19th century Chesapeake/Mid-Atlantic. This waiting process has been miserable for me. The seemingly endless wait has just caused a lot self-doubt and anxiety about everything I may have done wrong on various applications. Today I finally heard back from two schools. I got wait listed at one and I got into the other, so I can now stop worrying about what I will do if I don't get in anywhere. I'm still waiting to hear back from the other three schools, including my top choice. 

Hello Everyone!

I am following the common thread of everyone here.  I have been lurking around the results page and am finally posting here.  I have been rejected from University of Florida but am still waiting to hear from UIC, ASU, and Vanderbilt.  It was interesting when I opened the letter from University of Florida, I thought "Okay, so this school is not where I was meant to be."  My focus is on bioarchy, specifically bone chemistry and paleopathology.  The whole waiting period is driving me crazy and I am hoping I have more positive news coming soon!

heck yes for public archaeo, the nw, and bioarchaeo! sounds like we've got a few things in common :) and i'm oh-so-envious of that last bit- despite my abiding interest in all things bones, i've never actually had any hands-on experience in bioarch. i shadowed for an ME's office when i was considering a post-bac for forensic patho, but man, what i wouldn't do to be dusting away at some old bones in a crawlspace..

It does sound that way! :D Ooooh sounds so awesome to shadow an ME's office. What a cool experience! 

I was nervous about one of my applications because the letters of rec all arrived after the deadline. Been reading horror stories on here about automatic rejections for that reason. I called the department today and fortunately, they said that it shouldn't be a problem at all. Phew! But...they aren't going to start reviewing applications for a week or two so let the wait commence.

Greeting fellow archaeologists. 

I also am in the Fall 2013 cycle, and also applied to and was accepted to Albany, the most likely school for me to go to. I also applied to Brandeis (accepted, but good lord it's expensive, even with the scholarship offer), and am waiting on Vandy and Indiana. 

The wait it killing me, but it's killing everyone else too, so that helps. 
Edited by christianhol

I also am in the Fall 2013 cycle, and also applied to and was accepted to Albany, the most likely school for me to go to. I also applied to Brandeis (accepted, but good lord it's expensive, even with the scholarship offer), and am waiting on Vandy and Indiana. 

woohoo, fellow albany admit!  :lol: i applied for the MA program, so you'll be there a lot longer than i will, but still. woo!! 

where are you from, what's your niche in archaeo, and what are you up to these days? also, are you ready for an overexcited flood of questions from me? (harhar)

woohoo, fellow albany admit!  :lol: i applied for the MA program, so you'll be there a lot longer than i will, but still. woo!! 

where are you from, what's your niche in archaeo, and what are you up to these days? also, are you ready for an overexcited flood of questions from me? (harhar)

I'm from Atlanta, my niche is Meso archaeology, the Maya specifically, economics/exchange/ceramics/politics/Terminal to Late Classic, all that fun stuff. I'm still attempting to make sure I get my BA, this is my last semester and I'm going for it (phd) right out of graduation. So let's pretend I asked you all those questions as well. I hear it's cold there, quite a bit different than Atlanta (hotlanta is not a made-up concept). 

i figured you'd be a meso person! albany has an incredible meso program- i get totally starstruck every time i correspond with dr. masson, haha!

albany is indeed quite cold. i'm an nyc native, so i think of it as a smaller city, but it has a lot to offer- plus, if you're into outdoorsy stuff, the area surrounding the city itself is awesome for all things involving mountains and rivers. if you have a car, it's probably worth bringing up- i've never owned a car(!) but i may invest in one if i end up in albany. plus chains, of course. boston and nyc are easy to get to by bus if you need a weekend getaway. sorry i'm not much of a help! i've visited friends in the surrounding area a few times, but spent most of that time hiking and snowboarding, so i'm not too familiar with the city itself.

Just got accepted to UConn this morning, pending my official transcripts.   Pretty excited, although I’m not clear on the funding and I still want to hear back from the other two schools I’m waiting on.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! 

Just wanted to drop a note on the arch part of the forums. Good to see that we are represented, even in such small numbers.

I do US historical archaeology, I'm finishing up my terminal MA program now and am in limbo waiting on my results... 

More than a little worried. It's been longer than I expected... I'm just waiting for the rejection email now to put me out of my misery.

Still, I thought I would say hello!

Congrats to everyone getting good news! 

I've been wondering...where are all the Mediterranean/Middle East archaeologists? I've lurked Classics, but those guys all seem to be the Greco-Roman epigraphy-obsessed types. I know this thread is in the Anthro forums, so makes sense to have a lot of hist. arch. and Meso represented, but I feel like there's no where for us Old World people to go if we're not into the language end of things. Anyone? Bueller? 

Interesting point. I'm a meso person, and I rarely meet anyone in archaeology that does Old World stuff. Only Meso/Andes/and rarely Indus folks. 

Who does Roman and Greek archaeology? I haven't met them. Guess we're closer geographically to the Americas and so that's what we trend toward. 

Wish I had a better answer to this. I know the professors are out there in tons of universities, but the students seem to be few and far between, but then again I go to a meso-heavy school with meso-heavy students. 

Christianhol, 

It's not that I'm looking for professors (there are plenty!), just trying to figure out where the home for archaeology that is not Meso or Historical is here on Grad Café. At the graduate level, archaeologists end up all over the place-- Classics, Anthropology, History, and in the few straight-up Archaeology departments out there like the Joukowsky Institute (Brown) or the Cotsen Institute (UCLA). I've thus far been of that last group, but applied to two anthro. departments for PhDs. Just trying to find some kindred spirits!

Archae-lol-ogist, I'm personally not waiting on Stanford, but I haven't heard of anyone hearing anything from them yet. I'm not saying they haven't given decisions because I don't know for sure, but Stanford has been silent for those in my network.

I've been getting a lot of mixed signals about UCLA...does anyone have any clear answers? I think they've done a first round, but my advisors seem to think they're not done with the admissions process yet. I really have no idea what to think.