Geography Application/Acceptance 2013

Jumat

Meant to add that I'm also applying to UCSB (MA/PhD program). Heard unofficially that my application was referred - very excited to hear officially! I don't know how long it takes them to send out, though. UCSB website says "end of March or early April" which is still awhile from now.

Posted this in another thread but here is what I know:

Syracuse is meeting again soon, applicants should be notified in the next 2-3 weeks.

Clark told me about a month ago that they would be contacting people either way in mid-February.

I haven't heard anything definitive from any of the other schools I've applied to. Georgia's grad secretary retired right around the same time apps were due which delayed the process a bit. I'm not sure if this is going to affect when they contact applicants or not.

Lots of rejections from UW Seattle yesterday. Email said "We received over 130 applications for just 14 places in our program, and so it was an extraordinarily competitive process." Too bad! Congrats to the lucky few who were accepted.

Meant to add that I'm also applying to UCSB (MA/PhD program). Heard unofficially that my application was referred - very excited to hear officially! I don't know how long it takes them to send out, though. UCSB website says "end of March or early April" which is still awhile from now.

Have you been accepted by UCSB?

Another day, another Clark waitlist. I'm not sure if I should feel really good or really bad about the fact that I haven't heard anything from them.

Gave in and called Clark, just asked very broadly and used my partner's phone to try to ward off any "bad luck" that might come with asking. If you applied and haven't heard anything you should by this afternoon or tomorrow.

Thank you for applying for admission to the Clark University Graduate School of Geography.  We have completed our admissions process in which we gave your application careful scrutiny.  We regret to inform you that we will be unable to offer you admission to our program despite your fine qualifications.

The admissions policies of the Graduate School of Geography restrict annual entries to about 10 students, and the School receives far more qualified applicants than it can possibly accept.  As you can imagine, the selection process is a most difficult one, involving a variety of considerations including the balance of students within our various fields of research.

We very much hope that you will be able to pursue your graduate studies in geography elsewhere, and we wish you every success.

Welp, at least I know.

On the bright side, 13 minutes after getting that, I got an email from the DGS at FIU letting me know I have been nominated for a presidential fellowship ($30k/yr stipend for 3 years, tuition waiver, insurance, with a 1 year TA requirement.)

Welp, at least I know.

On the bright side, 13 minutes after getting that, I got an email from the DGS at FIU letting me know I have been nominated for a presidential fellowship ($30k/yr stipend for 3 years, tuition waiver, insurance, with a 1 year TA requirement.)

Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Thanks! If I get the fellowship it's going to make leaving really hard. Even though I know it's not generally good idea to stay at your undergrad for graduate studies and FIU is not a big name program, but the program is a really good fit for me.

Welp, at least I know.

I am in the same position  with FIU as well, on the anthropology side.  FIU is a fantastic fit for me as well.  Good luck with your other applications.  Perhaps we will see each other at FIU in the fall.  I am glad that I will be going somewhere.

Edited by Panama Slim

Thanks! If I get the fellowship it's going to make leaving really hard. Even though I know it's not generally good idea to stay at your undergrad for graduate studies and FIU is not a big name program, but the program is a really good fit for me.

Well our overlap is Rutgers. Perhaps we can work together there ^-^

I am in the same position  with FIU as well, on the anthropology side.  FIU is a fantastic fit for me as well.  Good luck with your other applications.  Perhaps we will see each other at FIU in the fall.  I am glad that I will be going somewhere.

Good luck! Maybe we'll see each other in Theory and Inquiry in the fall. If you don't mind my asking, who are you looking at for your POIs? My undergrad is a dual degree in Anthropology/Sociology (anthro track) and Geography so I'm familiar with nearly all of the professors in the department.

Well our overlap is Rutgers. Perhaps we can work together there ^-^

Maybe! What's your subfield?

Good luck! Maybe we'll see each other in Theory and Inquiry in the fall. If you don't mind my asking, who are you looking at for your POIs? My undergrad is a dual degree in Anthropology/Sociology (anthro track) and Geography so I'm familiar with nearly all of the professors in the department.

There are several professors on my list.  My interests are African Diaspora culture and religion in Latin American and Caribbean countries, generally (Cuba and Haiti more specifically), and transplantation to the US.  I'll PM you some specific names.

Maybe! What's your subfield?

well my topic might be some issues like power, practice of everyday life, mass media, a little bit poststructurism. how about you?

well my topic might be some issues like power, practice of everyday life, mass media, a little bit poststructurism. how about you?

feminist/anarchist political ecologies