What should I ask grad students exactly?

Phil2013

So I have my first acceptance. The grad committee head asked if I wanted to talk to some grad students. I'm actually a bit confused what I should ask grad students there. There are a lot of things I would be tempted to ask that might be a bit gossipy (things like "what professors suck?"), so I'm wondering if any of you out there have any advice as to what's appropriate to ask grad students and what main sorts of question I should ask. Thanks!

I'm not sure if this is the "right" thing to do, but I'm planning on asking questions about student life and the surrounding area - what cultural events happen in town, what the restaurant/grocery store situation is like (food prices in my current town are pretty cheap!), the best places to live off-campus, that kind of thing. Again, I don't know if that's what one is supposed to do, but that's what I'd like to ask!

First of all, congratulations!!! :)

Since we are in different programs, some of these may not apply, but some of the questions I have asked  are (and these are to students working in the labs I am interested in joining):

1. Could you describe the lab dynamics, especially in regards to how students are guided through their initial year? This will help you to understand if you are expected to figure everything out on your own, or if maybe they will pair you with a senior member of the lab as your "go to" person for any questions you may have. It also helps you to understand if the lab is very competitive (in a bad way) or if everyone gets along and likes to help one another out.

2. How often do you consult with the PI? Is he/she very involved or more hands off?

3. Were you assigned a research project or did you choose your own?

4. What is a typical week like in your group? (this will help you understand if you are expected to be there 80+ hours a week, or if a 40-60 hour work week is more typical as long as it is productive)

5. Are there any opportunities for leadership positions (i.e., student organizations)?

6. How do you like X University? How do you like working for Dr. Y?

7. What are some fun things to do in the area?

8. What communities are the safest to live in? Do many students commute? What is parking like on campus?

Those are just some ideas though to hopefully get you a better understanding of what living there and working there might be like :)

I talked to students when I was making my decision and I found it to be really helpful.  These are some questions that I used to guide our conversation. You'd be amazed by some of the answers.

1. What is the one thing you wish someone told you before starting this program?

2. What has been the biggest surprise to you about the program? 

3. What are some of the challenges you faced in the program?  

4. What are some of the successes you have had in the program?

5. What are the cohorts like? Do they support each other? Does it tend to be competitive?  

These were really open questions and it offered an opportunity to get information I wouldn't have expected.  I of course also asked about my advisor, places to live, commuting time, expectations etc.  

Good luck. And remember these people are your potential peers. It was so great when I started my program to have some people I sort of already knew because I had been in touch (I stayed in touch with one).  

I asked what it was like to work with my potential advisor. One answer that I got from one of his postdocs: "He's the best boss I've ever had!" Well, that did it for me. Think about what you're most concerned about... your colleagues? The faculty? Work conditions? Living options? Nightlife?

make sure to ask what their experience with the POI was like. Specifically ask if they have had any conflicts with this person. Find out how much availability the POI has for graduate students --- you probably want a supervisor who you will see somewhat regularly, who will meet with you on request, and who is available and responds by e-mail. It would also be useful to find out your POI's approach to reviewing your writing. Some POI's will write brief comments in the margins. Some will go to town changing absolutely everything in track changes (I prefer this style personally).