thesis block

Porridge

When this happens I put aside my work (not being productive in these circumstances anyways), go exercise until I'm absolutely exhausted, and then get a good night's sleep. The next day my writing is SO much better. Everyone has their own little rituals for these things, although I firmly believe that one of the best things to do when you're frustrated mentally is some sort of physical activity. Go run, swim, bike, walk your dog, whatever. Just get out of the library/lab for a short time and let your brain digest everything you're doing.

I agree with barca, I do just that. I get a mental block, then I change to my running gear and do 5-6 miles. When I'm back, I'm even better with ideas and I end up writing atleast one page. But, that one page gives me something to work on for the next day.

Write. It doesn't matter what it says for now. Don't worry about the flow, structure, etc. Just write. Get your thoughts down on paper and rearrange them into a thesis later. If you are writing a MS based thesis or writing in definable sections, write the sections that come easiest first and then address the more difficult sections at a later time. When you get to a section that has been giving you trouble, have a couple of drinks and try again. It might help.

Exercise is a great way to break the block. In general, anything that can take you mind away from the thesis once or twice a day will help you get writing again.

I don't know what your field is or how your program is structured, but while I was starting my MA thesis (which I just finished!), I was also taking a seminar on a totally unrelated topic. While it didn't make that semester a lot of fun, it did force me to think about ideas and issues other than my thesis topic, which made me feel a bit mentally refreshed whenever I came back to it.

Also, definitely seconding (or thirding or fourthing) the need to just sit down and write regularly and worrying about revisions later.