Need advice on situation-willing to give advice in return

biochemgirl21

Hey everyone. So I interviewed at UVA on the 18th. They told me it should take them 1-2 weeks to make a decision. I have gotten other offers already. However UVA is my top choice. I called and told them I have heard back from some schools and want to make my decision shortly. The woman recogonized my name and told me to hold. She came back and said they will be making a decision within the next two weeks. Thats one month after I visited! Should I be reading too much into this? Did I just screw up my chances by telling them that I have heard back from other schools? 

Please help!

I don't think you have anything to worry about.  Some schools take longer to send acceptances.  At my first interview on January 24, I was told I would hear back on Feb. 20.  Telling them you have other offers won't mess with your chances.  They know that people do not only apply to one school and they know competitive applicants get multiple offers.  If they accept you it is because they want you at the school and hope you pick them over your other offers, having other offers should not change their admissions decision either way

Don't worry about whether you screwed up by asking and telling them about other schools. Remember that this isn't only a large decision for you, its a large decision for them. They're about to drop 50-100k per year on a grad student (thats the estimate that I've heard from departments at least. Its more than just your stipend), so they're not going to change their mind on a whim for some arbitrary reason. You're just going to have to be patient though. These are busy people and while it would be nice for you to know now where you are going sooner rather than later, they need to take their time making their decisions, and all things considered, it is still early in the game and there is a lot of time left before April 15th. 

In my humble opinion, there's no good reason not to go to the other interviews. Even if you end up at UVA, you'd be passing up networking opportunities in the field and there's always the small chance you'll end up wanting to transfer. Information is your friend, the more you know about your options, the better!

I agree with Simplyundrin. As long as it's financially feasible, interviews can be a great way to network. One of the PhD students in my current lab either knew or knew of someone at every university I applied to. Besides being great for me, that's going to be really useful for her in the future.