Does anyone actually get accepted after being waitlisted?

Emdave

Hi all, I was recently wait listed at Johns Hopkins after applying and doing an interview by phone. The specific professor I was hoping to work with emailed me to tell me that he was still hopeful I would get in but...... does anyone actually get accepted after being waitlisted?

In other words, does that happen a lot? Is there still a good chance or does 'wait list' really just mean 98% chance of 'no'?

Thanks

Yes, it is very possible.  The people with offers probably have numerous offers, and therefore will have to reject possibly many schools and that opens up spots for others.  So don't lose hope yet!!  Especially if your POI says he's hopeful, that's a good sign.

Just hang in there. You may have to wait a while as they slowly hear back from students who have chosen a different school, but as long as you're high on the list, you definitely have a decent chance.

Possible, but you never know. Last season I was waitlisted at 2 top English PhD programs. Ultimately, I didn't get into either. One of the schools (my top choice) let me know the day before the national deadline of April 15. Ouchhhh. It really depends on a lot of factors. Good luck!

I don't know. I was waitlisted last year at 2 programs and never got in. It depends on whether the school is one of the top programs in the field (that means most people will accept their offers) or not. You've got a better chance than most I believe since your POI still wants you to get in, so there's hope.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody. The day they sent me my waitlist notice, the prof emailed me to say that he was hopeful for me. He told me he's lobbying the grad admit board for me, but he's also a pretty young prof, so I'm not sure how much pull he has.

I've been trying to keep on his radar via an email about once every month and a half. The last time I contacted him was mid-February and he basically said: "most people don't tell us till close to the deadline." I really need to start planning which city I'll be living in, how to navigate the money situation, finding an apartment, etc, so I would rather know sooner than later. Would it be too desperate-sounding to send him an email today or in the next few days, given that it *is* so close to April. I have an offer out at another university (which I will only take if I don't get into Hopkins), and I don't want to get into a situation like someone mentioned above wherein I have to make important irreversible life decisions in three days.

Thanks people, you're wonderful

I was waitlisted at UNC; I didn't even find out until I contacted the graduate admissions coordinator. He said in his email that he himself was pulling for me so I remained hopeful that I would be admitted, and I got a fully funded offer two days later. So you really can get off of a waitlist and be offered funding as well!

Kimolas, you give me hope.

Yes, it definitely happens, and fairly often!  Not sure I'd rely on it if you have other options (if the timing doesn't allow you to wait to make your decision), but if you have the time, see what happens.

I got accepted off the wait list to my top program after my POI told me he was "hopeful." It definitely happens. That said, you have no idea what happens behind the closed doors of the adcom meetings...

I would err on caution contrary to what's being posted and say you should assume you won't get off the waitlist. It's definitely possible, but the odds are against you and it's better to play the probabilities and assume you're not getting then (so if you do, you're delighted, and if you don't, you're not disappointed). 

While many applicants are cross-admitted and necessarily must decline schools, schools also try to account for this by overadmitting by as many was 4-5x their expected matriculating class. So often, a few people slip through the waitlist, but it's definitely not as frequent as you might hope and you shouldn't count on it. 

Play it safe and go with what's certain. If you're on a waitlist, plan for not getting in. You still might, but don't hold your breath.

That's sound advice bamafan, but I would also ask the DGS what the waitlist situation is like. I know for the program I am waitlisted at, they only accept as many people as they can fund. As soon as someone declines, they admit someone from the waitlist with full funding. My current program does the same thing with their PhD. admissions. So I think it really depends on the program. 

^ You're certainly right, but my point is more than since one doesn't know how many people are above you on the waitlist nor what the matriculation rate will be of accepted students, it'd be folly to play as if you'll get it. When waitlisted, the best course of action is to assume you won't make it off the list so you can plan accordingly. 

You wouldn't plan for a tomorrow assuming you'll win the lottery if you haven't won it yet, and while that example is hyperbolic, the principle is the same. With so many unknowns that can vary so wildly year-to-year and program-to-program, the chances of getting off the waitlist could be 50% or higher in some cases but also it could be 0% (as it often is). 

Oh, I completely agree with you. I just feel very lucky to have a DGS/POI who was very open with me about the whole waiting list process when I asked.  I realize that my fate right now is in the hands of other people. And while I am hopeful that I will get off my waitlist, I don't really expect I will. But then I am also the type of person who would rather go through life expecting not to get something and be wonderfully surprised if it comes through rather than expecting to get something and being terribly disappointed if I don't.

Advice time: Do you think I should email the DGS of Hopkins and ask about my status?

Background: The last time I emailed with my would-be adviser, he said that we should hear a yes/no soon and just to wait, but no answer yet. That was a week ago. IN THE MEANTIME someone on gradcafe who was going to work with him specifically (accepted and all that) declined the offer. This person also heard from my would-be adviser that this person was the only one accepted for him AND that I am the only one on his waitlist. Possibly another admitted Americanist declined as well.

I haven't heard anything back since a week ago. Does that mean "no"? Does that mean "we're changing the name on the paperwork"?

My nerves are dying from this stress.

16 Days Until April 15

Advice time: Do you think I should email the DGS of Hopkins and ask about my status?

Background: The last time I emailed with my would-be adviser, he said that we should hear a yes/no soon and just to wait, but no answer yet. That was a week ago. IN THE MEANTIME someone on gradcafe who was going to work with him specifically (accepted and all that) declined the offer. This person also heard from my would-be adviser that this person was the only one accepted for him AND that I am the only one on his waitlist. Possibly another admitted Americanist declined as well.

I haven't heard anything back since a week ago. Does that mean "no"? Does that mean "we're changing the name on the paperwork"?

My nerves are dying from this stress.

16 Days Until April 15

That sounds like a pretty good set of circumstances for you :) But I would still recommend being patient. Don't want to be a downer, but realistically, there could still be other hurdles in your way of getting an acceptance. For example, once the above student declined, that might have opened up a spot for the entire department, not just for your advisor. So, your advisor may have to convince the committee/department that he should get the spot etc. It all depends on how the department works! In general, departments work on very long timescales so admitting zero Americanists this year might not be a big deal to them since it can just average out in later years. 

However, one week isn't a very long time at all! The department could be dying to get you that offer letter but like you said, it takes time to do the paperwork? Probably the grad school has to first process the original student's decline, then the department can make a new offer, then the grad school has to process that offer too and send you a letter/email! 

I would remain hopeful though -- it does sound like things are in your favour as much as possible to get into this school :)

That sounds like a pretty good set of circumstances for you :) But I would still recommend being patient.

But does "being patient" mean emailing the DGS (or my adviser again-- in like 2-3 more days) or just twiddling my thumbs and refreshing my email every five minutes?

I don't want to be pushy or to sound too desperate (I *do* have another offer, but this is my top choice school!), but seriously..... 16 days

But does "being patient" mean emailing the DGS (or my adviser again-- in like 2-3 more days) or just twiddling my thumbs and refreshing my email every five minutes?

I don't want to be pushy or to sound too desperate (I *do* have another offer, but this is my top choice school!), but seriously..... 16 days

I don't think asking them will affect their decision (positively or negatively). And, it sounds like they do want you there, so once they have decided, they will probably let you know ASAP. They are also aware that April 15 is fast approaching, and that a lot of people they have on their waitlist (e.g. you!) are good students and will likely have other offers and the closer they get to April 15, the less likely they will be able to get someone good off their waitlist. 

But since it probably doesn't really matter if you ask, then if it would help your stress/anxiety etc, then definitely go ahead and ask. I know how you feel! Personally, I try to not ask / hurry up decisions if knowing the info won't really make a difference (other than for my sanity) so I would probably try to wait until the end of this week (i.e. about a week before Apr 15) before checking in with them (by saying something like "I have to make a decision at [other school] in a week, any news?" etc. If you write them an email to ask, it likely won't hurt you and they will probably understand that Apr 15 is coming soon so people want to have information to make decisions! If you're worried about being pushy and do want to wait a few more days / a week, then maybe consider writing a draft email and just saving it until later this week. Last year, I found it sometimes helped me to be patient by just doing that and not sending it until a few days later!

• 3 weeks later...