Teachers College

ctcpx084

I received an offer with $16K in TC scholarships for my 1 yr program. Any idea how that stacks up in a relative sense?

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a high amount from TC. WordlTraveler mentioned receiving 8k, so you've received more than that, but I am just basing judgement on what I've read on here and a few other sites. Depending on your program, I have also read that you can earn credit and/or money through working for your department (as a research and/or teaching assistant).

There seem to be many on this thread of the opinion that TC provides much less funding to people than other schools, so I am curious - what are other schools offering? I've received offers from other programs, but the percentage of tuition cost covered has been about the same for all of them. While some of the programs cost less overall (such as my in-state program), I wonder if TC is worth the extra financial burden of 10-20,000$? People I have talked to at my current institution have said that the cost is worth it in terms of doors opened (while I want to teach for a while, I do hope to eventually become a principal as well as obtain a PhD or Ed.D, so that's important for me).

I'm not sure what sort of responses I will receive since this thread seems populated with bashers, so to speak, of TC...

I'm honestly not sure where I want to be in 10-20 years. I've participated in some research and conducted my own research as part of my studies, and I really enjoyed those experiences. I also enjoyed teaching that I've done in one form or another over the past few years (not in a formal classroom - tutoring and similar things), and I think that I likely would enjoy both conducting research and teaching during my professional career. 

So, where does that leave me? I think I'd rather have 20,000$ @ ~5.41% interest (higher or lower depending on which loans I obtain) paid off over about 10 years = 26,000$ less in my lifetime and keep more doors open than not. This of course neglects what I have from undergrad.

I do see your point - pay the minimum necessary to be certified and teach. No biggie. For me personally, another issue I have is whether I want to be in my state and attend the university where I would be eligible for in-state tuition. I am not from New York, but I do want to live there, complicating that aspect form.

It seems like you are currently at student at TC wjdavis - is this correct? If so, any recommendations for what you would have done before attending (such as applying for certain scholarships, jobs, etc)?

As far as I can tell, this seems to be a high amount from TC. WordlTraveler mentioned receiving 8k, so you've received more than that, but I am just basing judgement on what I've read on here and a few other sites. Depending on your program, I have also read that you can earn credit and/or money through working for your department (as a research and/or teaching assistant).

There seem to be many on this thread of the opinion that TC provides much less funding to people than other schools, so I am curious - what are other schools offering? I've received offers from other programs, but the percentage of tuition cost covered has been about the same for all of them. While some of the programs cost less overall (such as my in-state program), I wonder if TC is worth the extra financial burden of 10-20,000$? People I have talked to at my current institution have said that the cost is worth it in terms of doors opened (while I want to teach for a while, I do hope to eventually become a principal as well as obtain a PhD or Ed.D, so that's important for me).

I'm not sure what sort of responses I will receive since this thread seems populated with bashers, so to speak, of TC...

Where do you find your financial package??

@Dain - As wjdavis said, the packages started coming out yesterday. My friend who was also accepted to a program at TC received an email with the package (I think). I have not received anything as of yet, so I cannot tell you where to find it (sorry :( ). My fingers are crossed. 

Why is it you are at TC wjdavis?

Edited by Intellectual_Lensings

I will try to chime in to the discussion here, based on my perspective on being accepted to two of the top schools in education and also to the third one I applied. My opinions are based on the numerous (over 20) alumni and current students I spoke to at both programs and extensive research, attending visit days etc etc.

First, for those of you considering TC-there is an extra $30,000 about to become available as I'm going to decline their offer. While I love the confidence TC has shown in me, with almost full funding for a 9-month program, I have a better (full) offer from Harvard and have every intention of taking that. So, I would piggy-back was wjdavis said and say take heart and wait for that revised letter.

That said, why am I declining TC's offer of MA in Private School Leadership knowing that it is the best/most prestigious/oldest/richest program in the country (the world?) for leadership in the private education world as well as my top choice? Money has nothing to do with it-I'm sure they'd match Harvard if it came down to that. Despite the fact that each and every one of the people from my program I spoke with loved it and lauded it no end (alumni from seven to one years ago), TC in general does have the diploma mill vibe. That is something which is impossible to get away from and as someone said on yelp, if you want an Ivy League degree that's not worth the paper it's written on, go to TC. I know that's a terrible exaggeration and that the real story is probably not even 1% accurate-but when you're dishing out that much money in cash and opportunity cost, you don't want to make even a 1% chance.

I also agree with wjdavis that dropping that kind of cash on Teacher Education is not worth it. Unless you wish to go into elite private schools (which I did), this is a poor return on investment from a financial standpoint. From a personal growth standpoint..well, that's priceless. But I never saw a person struggling financially (think an additional car payment for the next 15 years as the same as the cost of financing an Ivy League education) experience a lot of personal growth. If you have a good shot at getting into these schools, apply to a second tier school like Rice University, get fully funded to attend there, enjoy the weather and CHEAP cost of housing.

In the end, what decides these things is your gut feeling and your own financial wherewithal about your particular situation. What made the decision for me were too things:

1. TC's overall reputation as a diploma mill at the master's level-despite the same not being true for my program/department.

2. My family's reaction to me getting into Harvard (which came after Columbia) and was so much more heartfelt than Columbia.

Initially, I was concerned about Harvard's hands-off vs. Teachers College much more personal recruiting style. TC called me a lot and gave me a lot of time during the application process when I called them. But since I've been admitted, Harvard has tried everything to get me to attend from calls from program director, alumni, current students and other members of the faculty.

Hope this helps you. I am very available, willing and eager to help with the decision making if you want to bounce ideas and looking forward to being contacted by future applicants if you guys need any help. Hope my input puts something at ease for you :)

So I am in the Education Policy department at TC and I have found the program to be worth it. I came in with a pretty large amount of funding for a masters (16K) and believe that I have gotten what I want out of the program. I suggest TC to those people who know what they want out of graduate school and have considered their decision wisely. I have enjoyed my classes in the department, feel that I am learning from true experts in their field, and have a good group of colleagues to bounce ideas off of. 

That said, I would never suggest coming to TC to get a masters in teaching if you plan to work in public schools as a practitioner, unless the money is of no object. I want to move into nonprofit management, consulting, or policy research and thus TC will provide a return on my investment. But for those planning to teach, it will not. 

I've actually declined TC for reasons I elaborated in detail above. I'm attending HGSE.

Feel free to contact me if you want to hash out together what the options going forward are.

I'm trying to pick between TC and another program - I was wondering if there are any current students or alums from TC who could help me over PMs? Maybe wjdavis and OCD or Perfection - would you all be willing to please help?

Should I call TC to ask about the PhD in CIE? Seems like that department hasn't sent out decisions (according to the gradcafe results search). I need to reply to BU by March 28... and with international mailing, there isn't much time left for TC to get back to me. Then again... what can a phone call do considering they know about deadlines and are probably doing the best they can?

To call or not to call?

I officially made my decision this morning. So instead of Columbia, I'm going with JHU! 

I did get a 16k offer around the 19th, but as OCD mentioned the Yelp reviews were a major deterrent. My SO who is an AP at a top-ranked public HS also indicated the negative vibes of Columbia as not being student-focused. He was a comparative lit major before he became an educator and he knew the reputation Columbia had in English, but understood that they didn't give a rats ass about student education but were more about recruiting renowned faculty (which wouldn't make a difference if you're being taught by graduate students if the Yelp reviews are true!) I even made a Reddit thread and the students who went/are also saying the diploma mill / low morale statements. This sucks, because it was originally my #1, but career-wise I think JHU would be the best for me. :) 

My personal reasoning  is that it's better to be in a smaller, student-focused program with an advisor who doesn't treat their advisees as inconveniences than to simply get the "ivy league" stamp on your degree. These stronger relationships will earn me better LORs that can vouch for my viability as a PhD candidate and someone working upstairs. I just didn't want to be Columbia Graduate #5244. 

I'm trying to pick between TC and another program - I was wondering if there are any current students or alums from TC who could help me over PMs? Maybe wjdavis and OCD or Perfection - would you all be willing to please help?

I'm a current student, feel free to shoot me a message.

I officially made my decision this morning. So instead of Columbia, I'm going with JHU! 

I did get a 16k offer around the 19th, but as OCD mentioned the Yelp reviews were a major deterrent. My SO who is an AP at a top-ranked public HS also indicated the negative vibes of Columbia as not being student-focused. He was a comparative lit major before he became an educator and he knew the reputation Columbia had in English, but understood that they didn't give a rats ass about student education but were more about recruiting renowned faculty (which wouldn't make a difference if you're being taught by graduate students if the Yelp reviews are true!) I even made a Reddit thread and the students who went/are also saying the diploma mill / low morale statements. This sucks, because it was originally my #1, but career-wise I think JHU would be the best for me. :) 

My personal reasoning  is that it's better to be in a smaller, student-focused program with an advisor who doesn't treat their advisees as inconveniences than to simply get the "ivy league" stamp on your degree. These stronger relationships will earn me better LORs that can vouch for my viability as a PhD candidate and someone working upstairs. I just didn't want to be Columbia Graduate #5244. 

While I certainly understand how the Yelp review would deter you, I know for a fact that the classes in your program(if you're doing bio education) are among the smallest, usually 10 students per class. You would get to know your professors pretty well.

Congratzz, Have you completed your P.H.D program?

No, I have not even started yet! I applied and was accepted for Fall 2014. :) But I don't think I am going to TC anyway. No funding offered.  :(

Does anyone know the likelihood of getting into the PhD from the EdM at TC? This would be through the IED/CIE department. Sifting through the doctoral profiles, 15 out of 32 did their EdM/MA degrees at TC before transferring to the doctoral program. The FAQ also says "It is common for applicants to the Ed.D. and Ph.D. programs to be accepted first into the Ed.M. program."

While I know it's not a guarantee, I was wondering if any current students could speak into the transfer situation. Also, do you know if I would be able to transfer credits from the EdM to the PhD to save some time?

Been accepted to Boston U's EdD with full funding and a generous stipend, but TC's always been my dream...

Yeah, feel free to message me, I'm in the Mathematics, Science, and Technology department, but I can also give you info about Social Organizational Psych, as well as Human Development.

How many of the admitted students who weren't offered any funding with their acceptance have received an award letter since the 17th March? I am wondering if there is any point in waiting any longer, or should I just accept my other offer.  :mellow:

Wait longer. I was called and notified of my scholarship decision three weeks ago. And then I received it by email two days ago. The official email info stated it was $2000 less than what I had been told on the phone, was a minority scholarship (no thank you) and was not guaranteed ("all TC scholarships are subject to change").

Thank you both. :)

I do not have a specific deadline from the other University, but aren't I obliged to answer by 15th April? I thought it was like this for all universities. And, I am an international applicant, not living in the US, so I will probably send an email instead of calling. Thanks! :)

Yes, of course, email. I never actually called them either, as I was abroad when I applied. You're right about having until the 15th, or thereabouts. If you really wanted to ride it out and see what happens, you could always accept the offer and pay the deposit and see what happens. The deposit is non-refundable, though, so you would lose it if you didn't end up going. That could be a way to hedge your bets and give them a chance to provide financial aid/scholarship decisions.

Question - I received a pretty nice scholarship from Columbia, but if I accept it, can they still alter it afterwards? Is it possible to receive more? I wonder how the relocation of funds is handled after people reject Teachers College and their scholarships.

Thanks ahead for your answer. :)