2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I have a GRE question...

I have heard mixed things about how schools look at GRE scores. If you have taken the GRE multiple times, will most programs take your best score of each of the sections? Or will they just look at the most recent test date that you have sent?

ETS does not approve of taking scores from different test dates which is why they won't let you mix-and-match the scores you send to schools.

However, the schools I've talked to said that they will look at your best scores regardless of if they were all from the same test date.

Hi guys, I'm new, anxiously waiting for decisions, and found this thread. Was just rejected from UNC-CH :/

Has anyone applied to SDSU, IU-Bloomington, NYU, Montclair State or TC-Columbia and know when we'll hear back from them?

My stats are mediocre compared to a lot of people here so I'm not expecting any good news in March but I'm still hoping I'll get in somewhere..

Hi - I applied to NYU and TC-Columbia.  I already heard back from NYU (rejection) and I have no idea when columbia is letting people know.  On the website it says for programs w/out rolling admissions or early application deadlines it will be mid-May, which seems a bit ridiculous.  Looking at the board from last year seems it will be early-mid March.  Don't worry about stats! Schools look at everything. 

Hi guys, I'm new, anxiously waiting for decisions, and found this thread. Was just rejected from UNC-CH :/

Has anyone applied to SDSU, IU-Bloomington, NYU, Montclair State or TC-Columbia and know when we'll hear back from them?

My stats are mediocre compared to a lot of people here so I'm not expecting any good news in March but I'm still hoping I'll get in somewhere..

San Diego State should be sending out notifications late next week, if last year's results are any indication ...  :unsure: I'm ready for SOMETHING, this waiting is killing me. (the actual applicant, less so, he seems to be in a zen state about the whole waiting game)

My husband and I decided that if I don't get in anywhere, we are expanding our geographical search next time. It's only two years for school anyway, and after all I have learned in the forums this year... We probably should have applied in more nearby states, too. Waiting and praying for all of you!

Two of my universities sent results by this time last year, and Eau Claire said they would send results by mid February, and I have nothing! I give a few days for the snow, but I'm ready to have a breakdown! Also, it's March, why is it still snowing? And Jmarti, don't get too down yet! If I read right, you went to UNC? Your grades will be fine, remember you got them at a tough school! They told us here tgat they do look at that. I mean my overall gpa is a 3.65, but had I gone elsewhere it could have been different. Chin up, this isn't over! You sound like a very intelligent person who definitely shouldn't give up hope!

My husband and I decided that if I don't get in anywhere, we are expanding our geographical search next time. It's only two years for school anyway, and after all I have learned in the forums this year... We probably should have applied in more nearby states, too. Waiting and praying for all of you!

I have a very positive feeling that things are going to work out in your favor this time around. Thinking of you.

Two of my universities sent results by this time last year, and Eau Claire said they would send results by mid February, and I have nothing! I give a few days for the snow, but I'm ready to have a breakdown! Also, it's March, why is it still snowing?And Jmarti, don't get too down yet! If I read right, you went to UNC? Your grades will be fine, remember you got them at a tough school! They told us here tgat they do look at that. I mean my overall gpa is a 3.65, but had I gone elsewhere it could have been different. Chin up, this isn't over! You sound like a very intelligent person who definitely shouldn't give up hope!

I didn't go to UNC, but I went to a very competitive undergrad program. We took classes that were very difficult, like anatomy (the same as for premed students) in addition to our speech anatomy! Plus I double majored, so it's not surprising to me that I don't have a 3.9. I have a 3.65 and the lowest grade on my transcript is a B.

It's not over for me until I get that very last rejection!

My friend who is applying next year just asked me if I feel like I applied to schools in my range, of if I feel like I'm not going to be accepted anywhere. Cue the panic!

It's only the beginning of March, everyone!! I really hope everyone gets into at least 1 school.

jmarti, I see you have USC on your list. Have you considered South Carolina state university as a backup? The deadline is in June, so you have time to apply...but it is really a backup because I think the semester starts later or something..it was on my list but I took it off because it's too far away for me and I know NOTHING about South carolina lol. You might wanna check it out if you don't mind the location. Also, Hampton University in Virginia has a late deadline too... i think it's on June 1st as well.

Just some options, you can totally ignore it as well :) Good Luck everyone!

It's only the beginning of March, everyone!! I really hope everyone gets into at least 1 school.

jmarti, I see you have USC on your list. Have you considered South Carolina state university as a backup? The deadline is in June, so you have time to apply...but it is really a backup because I think the semester starts later or something..it was on my list but I took it off because it's too far away for me and I know NOTHING about South carolina lol. You might wanna check it out if you don't mind the location. Also, Hampton University in Virginia has a late deadline too... i think it's on June 1st as well.

Just some options, you can totally ignore it as well :) Good Luck everyone!

I haven't! I put USC on my list because they have a wonderful cochlear implant/AVT program, which is what I want to do. I chose most of my schools because they had a focus on that area/medical. 

I'm hoping that I'm accepted into at least one of them. I don't consider my GPA to be low, and I was very involved. Only time will tell :)

For every story like this though, I feel like there are additional circumstances. Low GRE, poor program fit, etc. I haven't heard that either school is impossible to get into, but they are looking at more competitive applicants. That, and they get a lot of applications per year.

This person had a high GRE and high GPA. Did a honors research project and two professors wrote a recommendation for her. I was shocked that she was rejected.

I got into NYU!!! I just received an email this morning expecting a rejection and I see "Congratulations..."  :D

The bad news is that I missed the FAFSA deadline for NYU (February 2, so early!) but I really like NYU's program and if I don't get in anywhere else, I'll just have to make it work out with a lot of loans I suppose :/

I got into NYU!!! I just received an email this morning expecting a rejection and I see "Congratulations..."  :D

The bad news is that I missed the FAFSA deadline for NYU (February 2, so early!) but I really like NYU's program and if I don't get in anywhere else, I'll just have to make it work out with a lot of loans I suppose :/

Congrats!!!  It's worth asking them if you turn your FAFSA in today if you can have an exception?  You may lose out on some scholarships but might still be eligible for assistantships, etc.

So glad to hear so much Friday good news!

Congrats!!!  It's worth asking them if you turn your FAFSA in today if you can have an exception?  You may lose out on some scholarships but might still be eligible for assistantships, etc.

So glad to hear so much Friday good news!

Thanks! I turned in my FAFSA yesterday and I really want to get in touch with them and see if it will be ok. At the very least, I hope for some federal loans.

Superstorm Sandy affected me a bit - I sent in my NYU application at the last minute and I believe my official GRE scores got there after the deadline so I really hope they can make an exception because it's been financially hectic for me.

jmarti, I am hoping you get good news today!  I feel like you have been waiting too long!  Why are these schools sooooooooo slow sometimes!

Aw thanks! I'm hoping we all get some relief soon. 

I received an e-mail from the university of West Georgia that notifications for interviews have been sent out.  The e-mail said that they usually do a second round and sometimes a third round of interviews. 

DShenge, I also applied to the University of Utah. I saw that your other two choices were both in GA. How did you choose Utah?