2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

What kind of experiences do you have so far?

I had a peer advising position on campus, was an executive board member of NSSLHA, and had an internship at the Governors Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. SLPA are not allowed in my state at all. I wasn't sure if hooking up with an SLP and shadowing/volunteering was good?

Yes! remain calm tay! :)

& Jmarti, i think you still have a good chance! I am definitely rooting for you!

But I will list some things I did (from my resume) that might help, since you asked: You probably have some of this done anyway...

- Volunteer/observe in at least 3 different settings (children's clinic, rehab/hospital center, nursery school/school)
- Have SLPs sign off on hours to get the 25 pre-required ASHA hours
- Take bunch of classes in education, I think its required for some locations if you want to work in a school setting.
- Take ASL.
- Retake classes relating to CSD lower than a B.
- Volunteer with PTs and OTs to see how all three work together with common patients, because sometimes that does occur- where patients have physical and speech disorders. Quite an interesting dynamic if you wanna work in a hospital!
- Try to pick up more than 1 language....tough one.

- Teach children..

-  Do as much community service (over 200 hours) as you can.

I know you are brilliant jmarti. You will make it!!

I realliy enjoy the program. It's a pretty decent size and the faculty are all very competant and helpful. UWM is definitely my top choice for a variety of reasons but mostly because I like the area and don't really feel like starting over at this point in my life . Did you apply for any of the assistantships that went out?
I applied for the only one I could find, the same one that they emailed to us. The only other one I could find was for those writing a thesis, which I don't think you can qualify for as a first year. I'm a bitnervous though since they said they will hire one assistant! :( Did they send out other assistantships? I couldn't find any others on their site.

Yes! remain calm tay! :)

& Jmarti, i think you still have a good chance! I am definitely rooting for you!

But I will list some things I did (from my resume) that might help, since you asked: You probably have some of this done anyway...

- Volunteer/observe in at least 3 different settings (children's clinic, rehab/hospital center, nursery school/school)

- Have SLPs sign off on hours to get the 25 pre-required ASHA hours

- Take bunch of classes in education, I think its required for some locations if you want to work in a school setting.

- Take ASL.

- Retake classes relating to CSD lower than a B.

- Volunteer with PTs and OTs to see how all three work together with common patients, because sometimes that does occur- where patients have physical and speech disorders. Quite an interesting dynamic if you wanna work in a hospital!

- Try to pick up more than 1 language....tough one.

- Teach children..

- Do as much community service (over 200 hours) as you can.

I know you are brilliant jmarti. You will make it!!

I actually double majored in CSD and deaf studies, so I do sign! And we get over 40 hours of observation here :). I'm just feeling a little clueless.

I had a peer advising position on campus, was an executive board member of NSSLHA, and had an internship at the Governors Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing. SLPA are not allowed in my state at all. I wasn't sure if hooking up with an SLP and shadowing/volunteering was good?

Do you have any experience personally working with children or adults who have speech or language disorders? It seems you have more leadership experiences than actual hands-on experience. Volunteering at hospitals, SLP clinics and working with your target demographic (bilingual children or adults with Huntington's) would be a good idea

Edited by mystiqueSLP

I think that anything involved with special needs is good. Volunteering is always a positive thing. You could look into volunteering with Autistic children or if you are more interested in adult..volunteer with people with TBIs. Every state is different so I am not sure what all they allow or have where you are from, but lots can benefit. My sister taught a pronunciation class to pilots from China from a military base so they could say all of their commands correctly so nobody misinterpreted them. You could volunteer at a school for the Deaf or a school that focuses on cochlear implants and hearing aids. Also you could start taking classes towards and Autism certificate. If relocation is an option you can come to somewhere like Minnesota where you can be an actual speech teacher with a temporary license or move somewhere if you land a SLPA job.  

I applied for the only one I could find, the same one that they emailed to us. The only other one I could find was for those writing a thesis, which I don't think you can qualify for as a first year. I'm a bitnervous though since they said they will hire one assistant! :( Did they send out other assistantships? I couldn't find any others on their site.

I applied to both that they e-mailed to us. First year students can qualify for the CGSA award (the one that involves writing a thesis). You are just required to complete a research thesis during your time at UWM. I'm torn about the TA assistantship. It's be an awesome opportunity and would help with the financial burden of grad school but I know how much the TA's work as they are the assistant to the entire department. I'd be scared that I would become overwhelmed way too easily.

I actually double majored in CSD and deaf studies, so I do sign! And we get over 40 hours of observation here :). I'm just feeling a little clueless.

Wow. Good for you. That is amazing. How were your essays and letters of rec?

I applied to both that they e-mailed to us. First year students can qualify for the CGSA award (the one that involves writing a thesis). You are just required to complete a research thesis during your time at UWM. I'm torn about the TA assistantship. It's be an awesome opportunity and would help with the financial burden of grad school but I know how much the TA's work as they are the assistant to the entire department. I'd be scared that I would become overwhelmed way too easily.

Ah, ok. I'm planning on doing a thesis but I'm not entirely positive so I wouldn't have applied for the CGSA yet anyhow. 

I'm a bit worried about becoming overwhelmed, but I figured that I have zero chance of getting the TAship anyhow, that I can at least apply and see what happens.  I'm nervous that they're going to be picky with my application (I'm out of field, but with pre reqs).   I mean I have everything they want (except for a statistics course, but they said you can be admitted without and take it later), but still.  Plus, Milwaukee has all sorts of places to do externships nearby because it's such a big metropolitan area, and you can really find everything there, so aside from Madison (pesky waitlist), it would be the ideal place to end up.

Wow. Good for you. That is amazing. How were your essays and letters of rec?

I'm assuming they were great. I'm just not sure what is holding me back from being accepted.

I don't know if you've already done this jmarti, but maybe you can look at applying to programs that have an emphasis on deaf children, cochlear implants, etc. since they may be more impressed with your double major of deaf studies. If I don't get accepted this year I may look at applying to more programs that have an emphasis on autism since that is my area of strength.

I don't know if you've already done this jmarti, but maybe you can look at applying to programs that have an emphasis on deaf children, cochlear implants, etc. since they may be more impressed with your double major of deaf studies. If I don't get accepted this year I may look at applying to more programs that have an emphasis on autism since that is my area of strength.

That was my thinking when I applied to USF and USC. They have a cochlear implant focus. I'm wondering if its strictly my GPA and lack of hands on experience.

Okay, the people having discussions in the results search are still driving me crazy. I have started reporting all the non-results entries as spam. However, I don't know if this is helpful to the mods or if it drives them crazy.  ???   Anyone with me?

Also, did y'all see this gem from results search? It was regarding the Univ. of Nebraska - Kearney:

"DO NOT call them with questions until you receive a letter in the mail and DO NOT address a person by their first name when they have their doctorates. I made this mistake and got this response "oh you were the one who addressed me as (first name) and not as (dr. ____) yes I said do not contact me until you have received a letter and obviously you have not received a letter yet." I might have ruined my chances here. But do I really want to go to a program where the people are THAT rude?! Yikes. What are other people's experience with staff here???"

Okay, the people having discussions in the results search are still driving me crazy. I have started reporting all the non-results entries as spam. However, I don't know if this is helpful to the mods or if it drives them crazy. ??? Anyone with me?

Also, did y'all see this gem from results search? It was regarding the Univ. of Nebraska - Kearney:

"DO NOT call them with questions until you receive a letter in the mail and DO NOT address a person by their first name when they have their doctorates. I made this mistake and got this response "oh you were the one who addressed me as (first name) and not as (dr. ____) yes I said do not contact me until you have received a letter and obviously you have not received a letter yet." I might have ruined my chances here. But do I really want to go to a program where the people are THAT rude?! Yikes. What are other people's experience with staff here???"

Haha, I've been reporting them all week. I was happy to see a post related to TC and some really chatty posts disappear.

And why would you ever address someone with a doctorate by the first name especially for a school you're trying to get in? You should be very polite and respectful..

Edited by mystiqueSLP

haha yes tuckerma, i saw that post. My mother works at a University, and the people with the PhDs hate when inferior Professors and other staff, let alone students/ prospective applicants forget to address them as Dr. So I definitely feel bad for that person..hopefully they make it off the waitlist regardless of their um error.
I also saw another about someone getting a "rude  and abrupt" rejection...that must be awful, as rejections are cruel/ rude in and of themselves. So tired of waiting...

Okay, the people having discussions in the results search are still driving me crazy. I have started reporting all the non-results entries as spam. However, I don't know if this is helpful to the mods or if it drives them crazy.  ???   Anyone with me?

I laughed a bit...I thought it was obvious to not use just their first names?

I call all professors "Prof. so and so", or "Dr. So and so", until they specifically tell me to do otherwise.  I thought that was common sense? 

Okay, the people having discussions in the results search are still driving me crazy. I have started reporting all the non-results entries as spam. However, I don't know if this is helpful to the mods or if it drives them crazy.  ???   Anyone with me?   Also, did y'all see this gem from results search? It was regarding the Univ. of Nebraska - Kearney:   "DO NOT call them with questions until you receive a letter in the mail and DO NOT address a person by their first name when they have their doctorates. I made this mistake and got this response "oh you were the one who addressed me as (first name) and not as (dr. ____) yes I said do not contact me until you have received a letter and obviously you have not received a letter yet." I might have ruined my chances here. But do I really want to go to a program where the people are THAT rude?! Yikes. What are other people's experience with staff here???"
THANK YOU for reporting the coversation posts! The clutter is nuts. And wow to that post. The Dr was brusque but justified, in my opinion. Always use formalities, everyone!

THANK YOU for reporting the coversation posts! The clutter is nuts. And wow to that post. The Dr was brusque but justified, in my opinion. Always use formalities, everyone!

The Dr. was a bit over the top, but totally justified.  I mean I if I were a professor I wouldn't be too picky if someone called me Ms. versus Prof. versus Dr., but if someone posed an email saying 'hey first name', I would lose a bit of respect for the student. 

I did however once have a professor who got up on day one and said "My name is Joe.  Anything else doesn't fly here".  And we all called him Joe.  This also was a small graduate seminar, so it was slightly different. 

The Dr. was a bit over the top, but totally justified.  I mean I if I were a professor I wouldn't be too picky if someone called me Ms. versus Prof. versus Dr., but if someone posed an email saying 'hey first name', I would lose a bit of respect for the student. 

I did however once have a professor who got up on day one and said "My name is Joe.  Anything else doesn't fly here".  And we all called him Joe.  This also was a small graduate seminar, so it was slightly different. 

I am sure that the poster who addressed the professor by his/her first name is pretty upset with themselves right now. I am sure it was just a slip. I wish him/her luck with what ever schools they have remaining. I just hope they didn't make this mistake with all of their applications or emails to schools.

I was accepted to the same university and I have nothing but positive experiences with the professors and the graduate school in general.

The Dr. was a bit over the top, but totally justified. I mean I if I were a professor I wouldn't be too picky if someone called me Ms. versus Prof. versus Dr., but if someone posed an email saying 'hey first name', I would lose a bit of respect for the student.

I did however once have a professor who got up on day one and said "My name is Joe. Anything else doesn't fly here". And we all called him Joe. This also was a small graduate seminar, so it was slightly different.

My lab director introduced himself by his first name as well. My general rule of thumb is to address a stranger by their highest title unless introduced otherwise.

Edited by mystiqueSLP

i feel like all i've been doing lately is refreshing my email every 5 seconds and checking this site. ready to know where i'm gonna be already! hate waiting!

Same.  I am so tired of waiting.  My F5 key has never seen so much action. 

Both of my foreign languages use informal versus formal forms of 'you'.  I made it my general rule to always use the formal one until the person requests that I use the informal one. 

However, in general conversation, the informal forms are used more often, so at the beginning of  my study abroads I slipped every now and again in formal situations, and I did appreciate that people recognized my accent and were forgiving of my learning process. 

I do hope that person learns and isn't penalized too badly. I'm sure the person didn't mean to be disrespectful.  

I've been working in autism research for the past few years as a research assistant. I was lucky enough to be trained on various assessment measures and gain a ton of experience with special populations. PM me if you're interested in hearing more.. Keep your head up! I know this process is incredibly hard