2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

What do you do if you're on the waitlist for one school (let's say your top choice) but you put down a deposit for another school on April 15th and then find out that a spot opened up for the school you're waitlisted on afterwards? Can you tell the school that you put down a deposit for that you won't be attending after all? I'm assuming you lose the deposit?

What do you do if you're on the waitlist for one school (let's say your top choice) but you put down a deposit for another school on April 15th and then find out that a spot opened up for the school you're waitlisted on afterwards? Can you tell the school that you put down a deposit for that you won't be attending after all? I'm assuming you lose the deposit?

I'm so glad you asked that.  I was wondering the same thing!

I had always assumed yes. You could put down deposits for 10 schools and pick one later on... if you are willing to lose that much money. I don't think a deposit legally binds you or anything.. they cant MAKE you go there. But I could be wrong..

Just wanted to give everyone an update on UNC-G. The department is done notifying applicants that were accepted and the rest of us have been put on a waitlist. Apparently they had 350 applications and needed to fill 25 spots. We will be notified of their final decision sometime between March 15 and April 15. Just got an email about this after sending them one to inquire about my status.

Just wanted to give everyone an update on UNC-G. The department is done notifying applicants that were accepted and the rest of us have been put on a waitlist. Apparently they had 350 applications and needed to fill 25 spots. We will be notified of their final decision sometime between March 15 and April 15. Just got an email about this after sending them one to inquire about my status.

Would it be wrong of me to assume that this is the same case with Northeastern?

Thank you so much for that info!  I guess I'm wait listed :/

Thanks for the UNC-G update! I was going to email just to find out and clear up the last application, but this definitely makes sense. I am secretly hoping someone else benefits by my turning down the wait list spot when they finally notify me.

Thanks for the update! Very good to know. :)

I have been wondering this too!  I am pretty sure deposits are non-refundable.  My main concern is how much departments care if you opt out after April 15th.  UW implied that it was fine to do, but it still feels a little awkward to me.  That being said, I'm also a people pleaser...

Has anyone accepted at Emerson heard anything about funding yet?

I haven't even heard from Emerson if I was accepted yet :-( They said that the second round of acceptances/rejections (for people who applied later) would go out "by the middle of this week." It's Thursday afternoon already! 

I totally agree and can relate to that statement.  I think there is much more to a school than their ranking.  I have been fortunate enough to be offered an assistantship at both Iowa and Eastern Illinois, and although Iowa may be ranked as a "better" school, it is going to be a very tough decision for me.  I applied to Eastern Illinois because of the quality and clinical emphasis of their program and the accessibility of their faculty.  I personally visited with several faculty members and the department chair and they couldn't have been more welcoming and caring, yet challenging in their approach to the education they promise you.  I think it is more important to find a school that is the right "fit" for you, rather than automatically attending the school of the highest ranking that you are accepted into.
I am actually an undergrad at eiu and although I am not a speech pathology major I would be more than happy to answer any questions you have about the town and school. I also know some things about the speech pathology department, but I am sure you probably know more than I do at this point. I am away on a college visit to Virginia so I may not be on the site much the next few days but I will be back by the end of the weekend.

I haven't even heard from Emerson if I was accepted yet :-( They said that the second round of acceptances/rejections (for people who applied later) would go out "by the middle of this week." It's Thursday afternoon already!

I haven't heard back either and was originally told decisions were sent out at the beginning of last week. I just gave graduate admissions a call and I guess there was a delay in getting decisions out, and so we should have them by the middle of next week now :-/ The nice woman I chatted with said they were being sent out today or tomorrow by mail.

I haven't heard back either and was originally told decisions were sent out at the beginning of last week. I just gave graduate admissions a call and I guess there was a delay in getting decisions out, and so we should have them by the middle of next week now :-/ The nice woman I chatted with said they were being sent out today or tomorrow by mail.

Oh, thanks for the heads up! Oh well, good things come to those who wait.

By the way, it looks like our backgrounds are pretty similar, since I was a Linguistics major at Brandeis! And I also got waitlisted at BU after an interview. 

I was actually curious about this as well. Most schools should have a refund policy regarding the matriculation agreement/deposit. I was checking into this for one of my schools and found that depending on the timeline of your withdrawal, you can get back a portion/all of the deposit. However, I can't help thinking about how I'd feel bad for committing to a school to only back out later on. I wonder how often this happens?

Accepted to Eastern New Mexico University via postal service, this was one of my "fall back" schools so I most likely will not attend. Florida schools sure are taking their time with notifications this year!

Edited by fsustar83

I was actually curious about this as well. Most schools should have a refund policy regarding the matriculation agreement/deposit. I was checking into this for one of my schools and found that depending on the timeline of your withdrawal, you can get back a portion/all of the deposit. However, I can't help thinking about how I'd feel bad for committing to a school to only back out later on. I wonder how often this happens?

I actually had to do this...

Generally speaking, once you get into a school you don't want to lose your spot and risk not getting into any other schools. And, it's your money so you should go to the best school that you can get into...

Congrats FSUstar!!

Though turning down a school after putting down a deposit is not ideal, I don't think you should stress over it if it happens. The school you turn down will pull from the waitlist to fill your spot, and you should go wherever you think is best.

Judging from past years' results, I don't think it's too uncommon. I know it seems rude or even unethical, but I believe schools accommodate for it.

Though turning down a school after putting down a deposit is not ideal, I don't think you should stress over it if it happens. The school you turn down will pull from the waitlist to fill your spot, and you should go wherever you think is best.

Judging from past years' results, I don't think it's too uncommon. I know it seems rude or even unethical, but I believe schools accommodate for it.

I don't think it's really unethical unless you are intentionally trying to hurt other students/potential students etc.  It is simply a built-in flaw in the system an you can't pass up a sure thing for a wait list.

If you do call, please post the response they give you. I am slowly dying over here waiting to find out! This is the worst process ever!
Will do! It is insanely stressful to not have heard anything. We live in Montana and have all our boxes packed to wherever the first acceptance comes from (hopefully ETSU!!) Last year they notified as early as March 4! I'll pass along info if I find anything.

I don't think it's really unethical unless you are intentionally trying to hurt other students/potential students etc.  It is simply a built-in flaw in the system an you can't pass up a sure thing for a wait list.

Agreed!

I personally don't think it's unethical, but I could see some people believing that they were essentially reneging and feeling uncomfortable doing so. They shouldn't, though, because it ultimately means someone else more than likely gets the chance to attend that school, which is a good thing.

ETA: cahurt, are you an in-field or out-of-field applicant? I noticed your MSW schools as well and am just curious. I've also considered social work as a career option.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Ug... first wait list response from Northern Colorado via a form letter which requested a reply by April 12th if you wish to remain on the list. Not a good sign for other applications. I don't know if the list is ranked, but I did ask in my reply.

Good luck to others out there, and congrats to those who got in!

- Chris

I believe they just pick someone off of the waitlist so I'm not concerned about backing out (they probably make more money by having twice the amount of deposits). But I would have mixed feelings if I was accepted through the waitlist but had put down $500 for another school that I couldn't get back, which could have gone towards books or something.

Just accepted to Portland State today!! Haven't seen many people discuss the program on this forum, so I started a new one.  But does anyone have any insight into this program?

Congrats to all :)!