2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

So excited for you!! You picked a great program for sure. Tampa is such a diverse area, you will have an awesome experience. Congrats again!!

Thank you!! :) USF was always one of my top choices... I just never thought I could get in! I am so excited to head down there and start. It's going to be a time. :)

Thank you!! :) USF was always one of my top choices... I just never thought I could get in! I am so excited to head down there and start. It's going to be a time. :)

I'm so happy for you. Tampa is a great city and will provide a lot of great opportunities (It's my hometown!) Congrats on your decision!

Just spoke with someone in the department at Saint Cloud State - she said that the letters were put in the mail either Wednesday or yesterday.

Now it is all I can do not to take the rest of the day off work and go sit by the mailbox.

Ditto I keep calling Montclair and they keep saying "your application is still under review" and I'm like yea i get that based on the portal, but its been that way for 4 months haha I'm with you i just want an answer now. I wish you luck as well....maybe well be classmates next semester :P (there's still hope!)
yes don't give up hope!!! mine finally changed to decision made this morning, i'm not sure what to think cause it seems like people got acceptances earlier in the week with emails (i didn't get an email) and people posted that they got rejections in the mail yesterday.. no idea what to think! i live only about 20 min away so hopefully something will come in the mail by like monday! any news for you today!? wishing you the best, and yes we could be classmates, not giving up hope yet! GOOD LUCK! :]

Rejected from all schools.  It makes you feel so worthless. Dost toho. 

I really just want to give you a virtual hug. I've been there and it is one of the worst feelings in the world. I'm fearful that I may end up having the same fate this year as well. Do you really know all of those languages? That seems pretty talented and makes you stand out to me.

I'm very sorry that you had to experience this. The application process is confusing, and rarely seems fair. I will be keeping you in my thoughts. 

First of all....you are not worthless, far from it. I know it sucks, it really does. My biggest problem last year was having someone (admissions committee) tell me I wasn't good enough,it is hard not to take it personally. With that being said, I used that feeling as fuel for the fire. It doesn't have to be over, if in your heart you know that SLP is for you, you can make it happen. Start working on Plan B, C, and D if you haven't already. If you want things to change you have to be the force behind it! Contact the schools you applied to after the season winds down and ask what they think you should improve. If you need any advice or someone to chat with PM me, I really know the feeling, but so many things can change in a year! Don't lose hope....

Just got accepted to Montclair! One of my top choices! Started to panic this morning when I saw my portal changed to decision made around 7:30 and thought it was a waitlist or rejection when I didn't have an email. Then around noon I got an email saying I was accepted! I called my mom screaming! Yaaay!!

I was rejected from the University of Utah this morning, which is the last school I was waiting to hear from. Fortunately, I have other options. Time to start making decisions.

Edited by Tuck

Sorry to hear that, DShenge. This is a competitive field right now, and admissions decisions definitely aren't a referendum on your worth.

Hang in there, take a little bit of time to nurture yourself and relax, then get back on the horse and start thinking about ways you can improve for next year. I have seen a lot of folks on here who have successfully reapplied!

Tuck, you have some great choices there :) I wish you luck with your decision making!
& DShenge, I hope you will keep trying to attain your goal of becoming a SLP, and like Tuck and a few others have stated, it's important to destress and then slowly get back to applications. Also, some schools do have later deadlines if you look into ASHA Edfind, or Spring Admission (Fort Hays, St. John's).  I will certainly keep you in my thoughts. Best

My last school finally responded to me earlier today. Although it was a rejection, I breathed a sigh of relief because this enables me to finally make my decision. I'm going to stay with my current post-bacc program, Cal State Los Angeles! Relieved.

My only bittersweet reservation lies with my disappoint/anger for my friends who haven't heard such good news. I wish them and everyone else who is still waiting, the best. Please hang in there and know that there is more than one path to your goal and that path is rarely clear. If there's one thing I can share, it's a quotation that my cousin/mentor shared with me when he was riding with Lance Armstrong a few years back: "Never straight, always forward."

Just keep pushing forward.

Nothing in the mail from Saint Cloud today.  It made me glad that I didn't stalk the delivery person around the neighborhood until she got to our house, which was my first inclination.

I make no promises about tomorrow, though.

I am submitting my decision to USF tomorrow. This has been the most difficult decision of my life to make, but I feel like I'm making the right one.

YES! haha see you there :) I just went to the open house today and it seems like a stressful program to be honest. The girls I was talking to at my table said their friend dropped out this year because it's very much sink or swim. But I'm still excited :) after touring the clinic and hearing about everything they offered, I'm still totally on board! 

YES! haha see you there :) I just went to the open house today and it seems like a stressful program to be honest. The girls I was talking to at my table said their friend dropped out this year because it's very much sink or swim. But I'm still excited :) after touring the clinic and hearing about everything they offered, I'm still totally on board!

That makes me really nervous :( How did it seem stressful to you?

That makes me really nervous :( How did it seem stressful to you?

Well I've heard that JMU's program is really stressful too...I think most programs are stressful. I think that UVA's program is just a lot more chill so anything will feel a little stressful to me. 

I was talking to 2 girls and they said they had a friend who dropped the USF program this year because she felt like the clinical supervisors were not supportive and they didn't guide her very much. They put you through a "boot camp" for about 3 weeks and then you're in the clinic with clients by mid september. Dr. Bahr actually addressed this point though- she said that you just have to work hard and adapt. No one is going to hold your hand in a real job, so you've just got to be self-reliant. 

So yeah. maybe a little stressful. But I really think by attending the USF program I will be prepared to be an SLP, and all the professors I talked to were so approachable. So I think it'll be fun :)

Well I've heard that JMU's program is really stressful too...I think most programs are stressful. I think that UVA's program is just a lot more chill so anything will feel a little stressful to me.

I was talking to 2 girls and they said they had a friend who dropped the USF program this year because she felt like the clinical supervisors were not supportive and they didn't guide her very much. They put you through a "boot camp" for about 3 weeks and then you're in the clinic with clients by mid september. Dr. Bahr actually addressed this point though- she said that you just have to work hard and adapt. No one is going to hold your hand in a real job, so you've just got to be self-reliant.

So yeah. maybe a little stressful. But I really think by attending the USF program I will be prepared to be an SLP, and all the professors I talked to were so approachable. So I think it'll be fun :)

Hmm, I wonder how the clinic supervisors were not supportive. At my undergrad institution, it seems that the students are always very stressed as well. I think graduate school may just be a stressful time regardless of the program. After all, it is 2 years of intensive training before we enter the work force. They don't want to produce graduates who aren't fully prepared.

I'm really hoping that I'll be able to make it through the entire program.

Hmm, I wonder how the clinic supervisors were not supportive. At my undergrad institution, it seems that the students are always very stressed as well. I think graduate school may just be a stressful time regardless of the program. After all, it is 2 years of intensive training before we enter the work force. They don't want to produce graduates who aren't fully prepared.

I feel like we should just be happy with where we are now, and take things as they come. You can only be so prepared- you just gotta jump in and do it right!? I'm super stoked about the future...it'll be hard but totally worth it  

I think the important thing to consider here is that there is a BIG difference between being overwhelmed and drowning, and being overwhelmed and seeking advice/help. At the end of the day, the graduate programs want their students to succeed, and will do what they can to make things manageable for you. I'm pretty sure everyone in an MS-SLP program will be overwhelmed at some point, but it's how we handle it that will make a difference. I don't think you should be worried about whether or not you'll make it through the program. If you have the will to make it through, and the humility to ask for help if you need it, you'll do just fine. :)

Does anyone know what would happen if I accepted an offer and then chose not to attend? Even if it was after a deposit? I was accepted to my last choice....Wait listed at one of my top choices and still waiting to hear back from two schools. My decision has to be made by April 13th. I don't think I'll have heard back from the wait list by then. I know a lot of people have turned down the acceptances so there is a chance there. Some people don't even hear back until May for all three of these schools. I'm so torn about what to do....... 

I think the important thing to consider here is that there is a BIG difference between being overwhelmed and drowning, and being overwhelmed and seeking advice/help. At the end of the day, the graduate programs want their students to succeed, and will do what they can to make things manageable for you. I'm pretty sure everyone in an MS-SLP program will be overwhelmed at some point, but it's how we handle it that will make a difference. I don't think you should be worried about whether or not you'll make it through the program. If you have the will to make it through, and the humility to ask for help if you need it, you'll do just fine. :)

yup, totally agree. 

I mean that was one girl who decided not to stay with the program, out of 60. and it maybe just wasn't a good fit for her, you just never know. Maybe she wasn't willing to take the initiative to ask for assistance? maybe she was having family issues? maybe a hundred other things that won't apply to you. There's not really a point to stress out too much about it. I really enjoyed the open house today, for what it's worth 

Well, there's no going back for me. I'm just going to do my best, and maybe a lot of outside research :P, to make sure I can help my clients as much as possible. I know that grad school is meant to make you self sufficient, and I would expect that anywhere.

Plus, at a real job, there won't be a supervisor telling me what to do with every single client. I'm hoping that I see a wide range of clients at USF! It sounded like we can see almost everything, which is exciting.

However, I am going to try and find a small part time job. Since all of the assistant ships went out, I'll have to find something else!

Does anyone know what would happen if I accepted an offer and then chose not to attend? Even if it was after a deposit? I was accepted to my last choice....Wait listed at one of my top choices and still waiting to hear back from two schools. My decision has to be made by April 13th. I don't think I'll have heard back from the wait list by then. I know a lot of people have turned down the acceptances so there is a chance there. Some people don't even hear back until May for all three of these schools. I'm so torn about what to do....... 

I did this for a school that I was initially accepted to. While I did not make a deposit, I already sent my official acceptance in the mail. A few days later, I got unexpectedly accepted off the wait list to a program that was a better fit for me. I sent the department chair of the first program an email explaining the situation and apologized for the fact that I now had to decline my offer and was sorry for any inconvenience that it would cause. Luckily she was very understanding and had no problem with it. I think if you just explain the situation, as long as you give them plenty of time to fill your spot with someone on the wait list, I think you should be okay. After reading these forums, I think this situation happens more than you would think so it is probably nothing new to them.