2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Very random, but has anyone considered buying a laminator for grad school? Now that I have officially made a decision (yay!), I am trying to make a list of things I will need.

Does having your own laminator seem practical, or too much?

Very random, but has anyone considered buying a laminator for grad school? Now that I have officially made a decision (yay!), I am trying to make a list of things I will need.

Does having your own laminator seem practical, or too much?

I would wait because they might have one in the department for students to use. The one thing FSU mentioned that students are required to buy is a digital voice recorder. I would contact someone who went to the open house and ask if they mentioned any items that students need to get before the program starts :)

Does anyone know what would happen if I accepted an offer and then chose not to attend? Even if it was after a deposit? I was accepted to my last choice....Wait listed at one of my top choices and still waiting to hear back from two schools. My decision has to be made by April 13th. I don't think I'll have heard back from the wait list by then. I know a lot of people have turned down the acceptances so there is a chance there. Some people don't even hear back until May for all three of these schools. I'm so torn about what to do....... 

You'd potentially lose the deposit, but it may be worth it to hold your place in case the other one doesn't come through.

Has anyone been accpeted to the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock or ETSU and are planning on not accepting?? I am wait listed at both and I am just worried that my wait lists will be my only hope!

Also, when is Valdosta State suppose to notify everyone??? I mean with an initial decision....April 15 is 9 days away......

I would wait because they might have one in the department for students to use. The one thing FSU mentioned that students are required to buy is a digital voice recorder. I would contact someone who went to the open house and ask if they mentioned any items that students need to get before the program starts :)

Very good point. Maybe I'll just focus on a new wardrobe instead :P. I recently lost about 60 lbs, so I need to get some new warm weather clothes!

I've been absent from the threads for a while but I've been keeping up with everyone.  Congrats to everyone who's gotten good news! To everyone else, don't despair - I do believe everything happens for a reason. You'll end up exactly where you need to be, even if you don't know where that is yet!

I officially accepted McGill's offer this morning. Looks like I will be returning to Canada after all :) It was very hard to turn down my alma mater but I just know this is the right decision. So excited for the upcoming adventure!!

Very random, but has anyone considered buying a laminator for grad school? Now that I have officially made a decision (yay!), I am trying to make a list of things I will need.   Does having your own laminator seem practical, or too much?
Want to share what's on your list so far? lol I've started to think about what I will need and I just don't know where to start! I thought about creating another forum to discuss this, what do you think??

When I log in to check my application status it says "referred." Does anyone know what this means? (it's for East Tennessee State)

Want to share what's on your list so far? lol I've started to think about what I will need and I just don't know where to start! I thought about creating another forum to discuss this, what do you think??

I think you should create a discussion about this topic. I have been trying to think of everything I can but it's hard. Plus I want to start picking things up here and there when I have the money too rather than one big shopping spree, and any advice would be great!

I think you should create a discussion about this topic. I have been trying to think of everything I can but it's hard. Plus I want to start picking things up here and there when I have the money too rather than one big shopping spree, and any advice would be great!

Agree!

Agree!

When I log in to check my application status it says "referred." Does anyone know what this means? (it's for East Tennessee State)
Check the discussion board for ETSU and you may find some answers there. It seems the everyone's says "referred" or "on grad waiting list"... So "referred" is ambiguous at this point! Also, one poster explained that the results are rolling as the admissions coordinator has been out of the office.

Check the discussion board for ETSU and you may find some answers there. It seems the everyone's says "referred" or "on grad waiting list"... So "referred" is ambiguous at this point! Also, one poster explained that the results are rolling as the admissions coordinator has been out of the office.

thank you :)

Today I officially declined my admission offers from Northwestern, Emerson, and NYU, and took myself off the waitlist at BU. Hopefully that will help a few people! Now I have to make a very difficult decision to make between MGH and Columbia. I love both programs but for different reasons, and there are so many advantages and disadvantages to either staying in Boston or moving to NYC.  I'm completely stuck! At this point it looks like I'll be making a decision at the last minute, which is driving me crazy (although I know how lucky I am to have this problem).

My mom is so cute :P. She has been texting me a bunch of ideas/materials that she thinks I would be able to use during therapy. I think she's almost more excited than I am!

Good luck with your decision, rcavemek! Two great programs to choose from! Maybe you should think about where you eventually want to end up after graduation? MGH will allow you to make great contacts in Boston while Columbia will do the same for the NYC area. Obviously, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Congrats!

Officially attending FSU :)

YAAAYYYYYY!!!  :D  Go Noles!! I'm still waiting to hear back from SFSU, but I'm 75% sure I'm going to FSU. SFSU's mascot is the Gator.. how ironic is that!

why r u doing this to me ucf why its been several days why

I've seen scattered acceptances over the past few days from UCF. Also, the notorious April 15th is coming up ;). Don't lose hope!

I've seen scattered acceptances over the past few days from UCF. Also, the notorious April 15th is coming up ;). Don't lose hope!

thanks :( should i give up hope for USC since you had to let them know by friday? also is april 15 like the deadline for all schools or

thanks :( should i give up hope for USC since you had to let them know by friday? also is april 15 like the deadline for all schools or

A lot of schools abide by the April 15th date. However, I know some schools use a different notification timeline. Don't lose hope until you've officially heard a response from every place. You're still waiting on UCF and Northeastern, and you were waitlisted at UF too!

rpatty---  I have visted Univ of Tulsa, so I can give you some insight since you said you don't know too much about it yet.  Have you ever been to Tulsa?  I grew up in Tulsa, so I know it quite well.  TU's program is a great program, very well respected here in Oklahoma.  The people I met with there were extremely kind, helpful, and welcoming.  The campus is small, but beautiful.  The program is pretty small as well, I think they aim to have about 12-15 students in each class.  The clinic itself is a little small (but I haven't visited anywhere else yet so I don't have anything to compare it to), but they make very good use of every bit of space they have.  As for Tulsa, if you've never been here, let me know and I can give you some info on the city too! :)  Good luck making a decision, I know I am completely lost right now!  (But extremely happy & grateful to have wonderful choices)

I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  Unfortunately, I've been very sick for the past few weeks and I just haven't had the energy to get back on the forum.  Anyway, I'm feeling better now and I wanted to let you know much I appreciate your willingness to offer me some advice! I have not and will not have the opportunity to visit before decisions need to be made (in a week, eek!) so really anything you can tell me about the program is appreciated.  I did know that the program was small from their website, but that's not necessarily a bad thing to me.  I've never been to Tulsa before so I really know nothing about the city at all.  Again, anything you can share with me is appreciated!

Have you gotten any closer to making your decision? I just spent some time reading through all of the posts since the last time I was on, but I don't think I saw any posts from you about where you might be leaning towards going.  I know I'm pretty stressed about having to make this decision by next week.  I'm just really stuck because I see so many different pros and cons to each program.  Anyway, I hope you have been experiencing some more clarity than I have recently and that you are close to making your decision (if you haven't already!)!  Thanks again for your offer to help, it means a lot!