2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I am taking neural processes with university of Alaska anchorage online this summer... Don't know if that's the equivalent for neuroanatomy, but it could also be a possibility if you cant get it at ENMU or your current course doesn't count; they don't charge out if state tuition either.

I'm having trouble finding more info about this on their website. Do you have a link you could share?

Do you guys think it makes a difference that some programs offer more or less classes? USC has a LOT more required courses, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. 

Do you guys think it makes a difference that some programs offer more or less classes? USC has a LOT more required courses, but I'm not sure if it makes a difference or not. 

Congrats on getting into USC off the waitlist!

As for more classes, it will certainly have an effect on the tuition per semester, more classes= more credits.

Congrats on getting into USC off the waitlist!

As for more classes, it will certainly have an effect on the tuition per semester, more classes= more credits.

Oh yes, USC is calling for about $13,000 a semester (6 semesters total). I was just unsure if it made a difference at the end of my education. Will I be at an advantage?

And thank you!

Oh yes, USC is calling for about $13,000 a semester (6 semesters total). I was just unsure if it made a difference at the end of my education. Will I be at an advantage?

And thank you!

Both of your options seem great!! I anticipate that I will learn a LOT more through our hands-on clinical experiences than through actual courses.  My undergrad is in SLP, so I feel like I have a solid background in the "theory", but minimal experience with the applied practice.  

I'm just so tired of waiting... :/

Believe me I completely understand where you are coming from. I've been waitlisted for two schools and am awaiting a third decision. The middle of April could not come soon enough. It's REALLY difficult to stay positive especially if you've been rejected in the past (as I have been for two application seasons thus far). I'm thankful to have been waitlisted so at least I know I have the potential to get in, it just depends on if I make the cut or not. When I first got the thought in my mind to begin this adventure of becoming an SLP (5 years ago), I never imagined it would be so competitive and involve such an agonizing wait. Easier said that done but try to keep thinking happy thoughts!  :)

Believe me I completely understand where you are coming from. I've been waitlisted for two schools and am awaiting a third decision. The middle of April could not come soon enough. It's REALLY difficult to stay positive especially if you've been rejected in the past (as I have been for two application seasons thus far). I'm thankful to have been waitlisted so at least I know I have the potential to get in, it just depends on if I make the cut or not. When I first got the thought in my mind to begin this adventure of becoming an SLP (5 years ago), I never imagined it would be so competitive and involve such an agonizing wait. Easier said that done but try to keep thinking happy thoughts!  :)

Good luck! What schools are you still waiting to hear from?

What is the difference, in amount, for the two schools at the end of the masters program?

USC comes to about 79,000 (without semester fees) while USF comes to about 50,000.

hmm.. jmarti, USF sounds better to me because of the clinic (you can see CI patients year round), the tuition (!!), and the location (FL is beautiful). Just my opinion :) What other opportunities does USC offer besides the opportunity to see CI surgeries?

hmm.. jmarti, USF sounds better to me because of the clinic (you can see CI patients year round), the tuition (!!), and the location (FL is beautiful). Just my opinion :) What other opportunities does USC offer besides the opportunity to see CI surgeries?

I would graduate with an emphasis/expertise in cochlear implants. The CI track was essentially the selling point on USC for me. However, I'm not sure that I technically need extra the emphasis in grad school in order to work with CI patients in the future.

At MGH's open house they talked about the fact that it's two years plus an extra summer and that the number of credits has meant that some past students have been able to negotiate a starting salary based on having a master's degree plus 15 extra credits (so, basically a little salary bump).  Not sure whether or not this would be the case for you but thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck! What schools are you still waiting to hear from?

East Tennessee...was told they should be sending out decisions first week in April so I'm checking my email nonstop! lol

USF does have an emphasis:

• Listening and Spoken Language for Children with Hearing Loss

maybe not as much as USC but they still have one. Don't think its worth almost 30k more for a little more emphasis. Anyways, we're talking about Florida!! I use to live in South Carolina for 10 years, and boy does Florida kick its butt lol

Jmarti, I wanted to ask- if you got a GA position which brings you to in state tuition at SC, Would that change the decision at all? If not, it sounds like USF is a great fit for you!!!

Jmarti, I wanted to ask- if you got a GA position which brings you to in state tuition at SC, Would that change the decision at all? If not, it sounds like USF is a great fit for you!!!

It would make a huge difference to me. However, I know that they won't have that information for me before Friday. I made a large pros and cons list with my boyfriend and my mother, and it seemed like USF was really tipping the scales. It is a great overall program (though they both are), and the cost makes me much more comfortable.

I'm having trouble finding more info about this on their website. Do you have a link you could share?

They haven't updated their website to show the neural class this summer, but if you email Dr. Brigham, there is a document with more details she can send you. I have it and can forward if you want to PM me your email address... I have no clue if I can attach and send files through this website, LOL! :-)

http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/coe/degrees/master-degrees/speech-language-pathology.cfm