2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm paranoid UF will find me on here, so I don't want to say the exact number. I'm insane? It's in top 10, though.

Top 10 is so promising!! Would you be willing to say if you're in the top 5? I think you still have a shot left though.

Top 10 is so promising!! Would you be willing to say if you're in the top 5? I think you still have a shot left though.

NOOO. waaahhhh:(((( its like..towards the higher end... :( thanks though. i sent a letter of continued interest and they were nice about it idk ahhhhhh

NOOO. waaahhhh:(((( its like..towards the higher end... :( thanks though. i sent a letter of continued interest and they were nice about it idk ahhhhhh

Still, top 10 is great. Don't lose hope yet!! I'll be checking often for your good news. :)

YAY! I think that you have a good shot too. :)

ETA: I'm happy that you sent in a LOCI, it certainly doesn't sound like it hurt! 

Edited by DeafAudi

NP :). Trust me, I'm freaking out just as much as you are! lol. That's kind of nice that you will get a straight answer next week...I could potentially be waiting all summer, ugh. 

Still haven't heard from Western and didn't receive an email like others are taking about . . . So I guess I'm at the bottom again year two of trying. I feel to old to wait another year. I'm so depressed and feel so stupid. Maybe I'm not traveling down the right road for me. Maybe trying to get in as a leveler is just not going to happen for me. Can anyone give me advice: I'm about to turn 25 and have one year of teaching exp and do not have any pre reqs. Should I teach again and take online pre reqs OR take pre reqs on campus as a Post bacc student? This school is is the top 40 and could increase my chances next yr. THOUGHTS??

Bcjami,
In my opinion, I think taking pre-reqs is very important not only because most schools require them but it'll make you feel more knowledgeable about the subject matter you are going to pursue. Most post-bach programs take a year or less. I took pre-reqs and I feel as though without them I wouldn't have gotten into any schools. If you are taking pre-reqs and doing really well in them..it will prove to grad schools that you know basics of the subject matter that you are going to delve into when starting a graduate program. It also makes one look better rounded when they have more than 1 field of interest..

Still haven't heard from Western and didn't receive an email like others are taking about . . . So I guess I'm at the bottom again year two of trying. I feel to old to wait another year. I'm so depressed and feel so stupid. Maybe I'm not traveling down the right road for me. Maybe trying to get in as a leveler is just not going to happen for me. Can anyone give me advice: I'm about to turn 25 and have one year of teaching exp and do not have any pre reqs. Should I teach again and take online pre reqs OR take pre reqs on campus as a Post bacc student? This school is is the top 40 and could increase my chances next yr. THOUGHTS??

Is there any reason why you applied to just two programs even though this is your second time applying? A lot of re-applicants usually apply to a lot more programs to ensure they get in somewhere..

I don't think not having the pre-reqs is an issue but taking them could increase your chances.

Are you limited to the GA/western NC region?

I think taking pre-reqs may be a good idea. My only worry about doing that is spending a lot of time and money and still not getting accepted to an SLP program for whatever reason. It seems really important to get near-perfect grades if you do go the pre-req route, and you may want to consider retaking your GRE if it's on the lower side.

Good luck!

Edited by midnight

Anyone hear anything about Radford University? There were like no waitlists on here which i hope would be a good sign, but they were like the 1st to send word out yet i've heard nothing for this round.  I wonder when the accepted had to accept by... I have 2 wait lists one of which was montclair that had so many people post waitlists and radford my 1st and last letters and nothing from either...im dying

on a different note I am so happy for all who are getting good news in the second round and making their decisions! And hold on hope those who are still waiting to hear something!

Bcjami, In my opinion, I think taking pre-reqs is very important not only because most schools require them but it'll make you feel more knowledgeable about the subject matter you are going to pursue. Most post-bach programs take a year or less. I took pre-reqs and I feel as though without them I wouldn't have gotten into any schools. If you are taking pre-reqs and doing really well in them..it will prove to grad schools that you know basics of the subject matter that you are going to delve into when starting a graduate program. It also makes one look better rounded when they have more than 1 field of interest..  
Thanks so much for your advice:)

Is there any reason why you applied to just two programs even though this is your second time applying? A lot of re-applicants usually apply to a lot more programs to ensure they get in somewhere..   I don't think not having the pre-reqs is an issue but taking them could increase your chances.
I kick myself for not applying to more this year. I don't know what in the world I was thinking. This year was my first year teaching and needles to say its been crazy/challenging and I think I got sidetracked with branching out. I should have, I want this soooo bad.

Are you limited to the GA/western NC region?   I think taking pre-reqs may be a good idea. My only worry about doing that is spending a lot of time and money and still not getting accepted to an SLP program for whatever reason. It seems really important to get near-perfect grades if you do go the pre-req route, and you may want to consider retaking your GRE if it's on the lower side.   Good luck!
I would rather stay in GA, TN, OR NC. But if I apply again I'm going to apply in more places because I will have invested a lot more. Yeah, my GRE is low: 292. My MAT was a 405, I wish more programs liked the MAT. It's so scary bc I already have student loans and thinking about adding more to them for pre-reqs with a chance for getting rejected again is so scary!

In the past week I've been accepted to Syracuse off the waitlisted and (finally) rejected by Northeastern. Still haven't heard anything from Brooklyn but I'm kind of over them at this point. Unless I magically get off the waitlist at BU or Emerson, I'm headed to UVA! I'm really excited, I totally fell in love with the program when I visited. Midnight, it's too bad you didn't have a chance to check it out, because it's really lovely. But I know Colorado was your first choice to begin with.

Bcjami, I would definitely recommend taking the time to do a year of pre-reqs, it definitely helped me out. I applied to a few schools last year, and was rejected everywhere. I'm now doing a post-bacc year in person, and have had much more success with my application.

And to everyone still waiting for an acceptance: hang in there! I know how rough it is, my thoughts are with you. Like many, it appears, I check the boards here pretty frequently, though I don't often post, and this really is a wonderful community. So many people are cheering for you.

Congrats on your decision, srh! I definitely regret not checking it out in person, but it's better for me to be at Boulder since I plan to live near Denver permanently after I graduate. (On the East Coast, UVA is well-known and has a great reputation, but I mentioned it to a few people from the West during the Boulder open house, and they seemed largely unfamiliar with it. I was really surprised.)

That is surprising. I'm originally from the east coast, currently living on the west coast, and I have noticed that when I say UVA to people, they have no idea what I'm talking about. But if I say University of Virginia instead, they're like "Oh yeah, good school!" So may be they just don't know the abbreviations? The same way I didn't know Colorado was CU because of all the California UC's.

That is surprising. I'm originally from the east coast, currently living on the west coast, and I have noticed that when I say UVA to people, they have no idea what I'm talking about. But if I say University of Virginia instead, they're like "Oh yeah, good school!" So may be they just don't know the abbreviations? The same way I didn't know Colorado was CU because of all the California UC's.

Yeah, you're probably right, but it was odd! I think I said the full name, too, but it's possible that I found a few people who just weren't familiar with it. C'est la vie.

As a native Virginian, I love UVA and was thrilled to be accepted there, and I know you'll have a great experience.

Hello, fellow speechies! This is my first post :) I wish I would've found this forum earlier! Anyway, I got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Kansas!! I am so excited! Congrats to ya'll on your acceptances!

AHH I'm having second thoughts about declining NYU :/

I think it's normal to have second thoughts, but I also think the best thing about SLP is that our doubts can be lessened by knowing that job placement rates are great and nearly every program will prepare us well for whatever path we want to take.

FSU sounds like a wonderful program, and I assume you'll be getting in-state tuition rates (even better).

Edited by midnight

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances!  This has been such a stressful process.  I am excited about finally starting the SLP program in the fall, but I got caught in the ASHA changes and am now looking for a summer on-line/independant study physical science.  My University will not accept the Astronomy.  I have been researching schools trying to find a course that does not require a science background, and have not had too much luck.  My school will accept a couse without a lab as long as it is listed as PHYS or CHEM.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

I think it's normal to have second thoughts, but I also think the best thing about SLP is that our doubts can be lessened by knowing that job placement rates are great and nearly every program will prepare us well for whatever path we want to take.

FSU sounds like a wonderful program, and I assume you'll be getting in-state tuition rates (even better).

You're definitely right! I'm happy with my decision. I had a great experience during my trip to NYC last weekend and was feeling a little sad that I won't be getting that experience next year. But, I can always get the big-city experience after grad school, especially now that I will be saving a lot of money!

Hello, fellow speechies! This is my first post :) I wish I would've found this forum earlier! Anyway, I got accepted off the waitlist at the University of Kansas!! I am so excited! Congrats to ya'll on your acceptances!

Congrats and welcome!