2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

i'm always so tempted to call and then im like nope...just have to be patient haha

I have this insane fear that if I call and ask just out of curiosity (and not with a real concern) that I would immediately be put on the rejection list due to overannoyance of the staff, it's what keeps me being patient. 

I have this insane fear that if I call and ask just out of curiosity (and not with a real concern) that I would immediately be put on the rejection list due to overannoyance of the staff, it's what keeps me being patient. 

I do too!  I feel like they would be like "well this girl is obviously too annoying to deal with so you just lost your shot!"  I also feel like they will tell me when they tell me........ bugging them probably won't make it go any faster!

WOOHOO!!!  I heard something positive from Western Carolina -- I just entered it on the results page.  SO glad to finally hear something.  I have to submit a supplemental application (March 4th) and will hear admissions results on March 8th.  (might take up to March 15th to be notified, but should happen during that time). 

Edited by kcald716

Has anyone's status on ApplyYourself changed? I used it for UVA and UNC-CH, and they both still say submitted. Has anyone's changed to under review?

Mine for all of my applications still states "submitted" on application status.  

Did you feel as though the interview went well? Sometimes a really positive interview can help with negative factors (i.e. poor grades).

It did go well, because I got accepted ;)

Edit: I also have SLPA experience on my hands.

Edited by Umami

It went well.  I spoke with Dr. Fisher.  I was a little nervous because I haven't had an interview for anything other than my current job over a year and a half ago.  I am really looking forward to hearing back in April.  It would be awesome to continue working, while my current job pays for a certain number of credits. LaSalle was super expensive so I'm looking to spend as little as possible on my grad degree.  I know a few graduates from the Nova program and regardless of what anyone says about it being online, they definitely know their stuff and are excellent SLPs.

Did they give you an approximate start date?

Great. I'm sure you'll get in.

I'll be in the Tampa live this summer. I live in Tampa right now (moved from Blkyn) and I can't afford to go anywhere else. USF's requirements are too high, so I didn't bother. And I don't want to leave Tampa. So NSU was my only option. NSU is very expensive since it is private. Is LaSalle equally as bad?

Orientation in May. I have to take some prereqs that was not offered at my previous institution. I start either May 6 or May 13. I'm thinking it's the the latter. 

Right now I'm trying to figure out how much I'll need to take out in loans for 3 prereq classes in the summer for NSU. I'm getting ahead of myself, but do you even expect less here at thegradcafe ;)

Edited by Umami

I applied to the master's program for fall 2013 in speech pathology at University of Akron, Kent State, Ohio University, and Cleveland State. I was rejected from University of Akron on Feb 8 2013. I haven't heard from the other schools yet. My bachelor's is in speech and hearing science and I graduated from The Ohio State University. My letters of reference were written by professors in speech pathology. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.58 and a major GPA of about 3.49. I have over 30 hours of observation in speech pathology and have been volunteering at an autism center in the speech  department since Novemeber 2012. I think I may have been rejected from University of Akron due to my low GRE score. I took the new GRE and have a verbal reasoning score of 148, a quantitative score of 144, and an analytical writing score of 4.0.  Would anyone else be willing to share their GRE scores and other stats?

I applied to all of the same schools as you!!  I was interviewed at Akron but I'm not feeling very confident about how it went. My stats were 3.8 GPA, 151 on both GRE sections and 4 on the writing section.  If you do not mind me asking, how did they let you know you were rejected?  I'm currently playing the waiting game with them to hear back.

AWESOME!!!! I am so excited for you!

Thank you. I was rejected twice before lol  Just goes to show you that you should: never give up

Edited by Umami

hopefulslp88,

Thanks for the info :) I applied to Adelphi, Post, Hofstra........the suspense is killing me!!

I applied to Adelphi and Hofstra as well.The suspense is definitely eating away at me (especially because yesterday someone posted that they were accepted to Adelphi on the results board..eek). I promise I will let you know if I hear from them lol haha. I also applied to LIU, but the Brooklyn campus. I was very impressed with Adelphi's Garden City campus- did you apply there or the Manhattan program?

Just a (now former) lurker saying hi.  This whole application process is so stressful, and I can't decide if gradcafe is making it better or worse.  Either way, dying to hear something soon!

Edited by occamstoothbrush

Got a waitlist letter from UGA today :-/

I think the prospect of waiting until April 19th for a definitive answer is the worst part!

Yep, being wait-listed is not fun ... but at least you still have a chance!!  I'm expecting to get a rejection letter in the mail soon from UNC Chapel Hill ... I think it must have been a reach for me anyway, despite having done my undergrad and 1st grad degree there.  We're with you ... waiting as patiently as we can!  Keep looking up!! :-) 

WOOHOO!!!  I heard something positive from Western Carolina -- I just entered it on the results page.  SO glad to finally hear something.  I have to submit a supplemental application (March 4th) and will hear admissions results on March 8th.  (might take up to March 15th to be notified, but should happen during that time). 

Me too! Very exciting news!

Ahhhh that is awesome! Congrats! It's crazy to think that we will be getting (most of) our decisions within the next couple weeks--- the end is in sight! :D

Also, UNC- Chapel Hill finally updated my online application portal status. (Until this afternoon, it still said "Submitted" despite receiving  phone call earlier.) I got an email telling me to check the portal for a decision, but it wouldn't hurt to check just in case yours is updated before your notification email :) 

Yep, being wait-listed is not fun ... but at least you still have a chance!! I'm expecting to get a rejection letter in the mail soon from UNC Chapel Hill ... I think it must have been a reach for me anyway, despite having done my undergrad and 1st grad degree there. We're with you ... waiting as patiently as we can! Keep looking up!! :-)

Why are you expecting a rejection from UNC?

Also, UNC- Chapel Hill finally updated my online application portal status. (Until this afternoon, it still said "Submitted" despite receiving phone call earlier.) I got an email telling me to check the portal for a decision, but it wouldn't hurt to check just in case yours is updated before your notification email :)

Still nothing for me :(

Why are you expecting a rejection from UNC?

My undergrad GPA isn't as high as the admissions results from previous years, and below the range given for accepted students in the past.  Plus, my previous grad degree at UNC doesn't do grades, they do HP, P, and LP (which are NOT ABC), and the SLP folks will understand that because that's how THEY grade... but doesn't translate into any kind of GPA that could make up for my 3.3 in undergrad.  :-/  My undergrad program required more hours than most - music performance plus music education pre-req's, which they DO take into account, but I just want to be realistic about my chances so I don't get my hopes up for what ultimately is probably out of my reach.