2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

My undergrad GPA isn't as high as the admissions results from previous years, and below the range given for accepted students in the past. Plus, my previous grad degree at UNC doesn't do grades, they do HP, P, and LP (which are NOT ABC), and the SLP folks will understand that because that's how THEY grade... but doesn't translate into any kind of GPA that could make up for my 3.3 in undergrad. :-/ My undergrad program required more hours than most - music performance plus music education pre-req's, which they DO take into account, but I just want to be realistic about my chances so I don't get my hopes up for what ultimately is probably out of my reach.

I'm still holding out hope for both of us. It's not over until you're rejected, and I have a feeling you're a much stronger applicant than you realize. Keep your head up!

The only thing keeping me hoping is that I DO have a previous grad degree with a LOT of "HP" grades - hard to get from UNC professors - and 6 years teaching in public schools.  I know I will definitely be grateful to be accepted anywhere, even if a ranking is technically lower.  All of the programs I applied - as I'm sure the rest of you guys - are going to be great programs because ASHA certification is very strict and holds all programs to very high standards.  :-) 

I applied to UNC CH too, but I am considering it a rejection already too. I didn't realize just how competitive it actually was when I applied a few months ago. Even though it's not over till it's over, I still would prefer to think of it as a rejection so I don't get my hopes up. :) 

Btw, anyone here apply to Umass amherst? Their link says that they notify applicants via postal service, but stats from last year claim they heard via website..

I saw that too. Jmarti, I read that you felt worried that you didn't get an acceptance yet even though some people have been accepted already via phone. But I just read an acceptance from 2011 where a student was accepted but didn't receive a phone call like the other applicants before her. Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't see that :)

I saw that too. Jmarti, I read that you felt worried that you didn't get an acceptance yet even though some people have been accepted already via phone. But I just read an acceptance from 2011 where a student was accepted but didn't receive a phone call like the other applicants before her. Just thought I'd let you know in case you didn't see that :)

True, it's just a lot of applicants being accepted via phone this season. Is your decision on the ApplyYourself portal?

True, it's just a lot of applicants being accepted via phone this season. Is your decision on the ApplyYourself portal?

No, It still says submitted.. I submitted my application around Dec. 11th or 12th.. when did you submit yours?

Yep, feeling the same way, y'all.  If it is going to be a rejection from UNC Chapel Hill, it would be nice of them to just go ahead and let us know.  But... then part of me says "PUHHH-LEEEEZE" keep me on the wait-list until a spot opens up!  LOL!  

My type-A personality is irritating me tonight.  I realized that I had written down the list of pre-req courses I needed to take for each university... but never entered that list into my computer... and lost the paper... Since we are coming up on the time to register for the summer courses, I needed to keep a mental list of what classes I have to take depending on where I get accepted / choose to attend.  So anyway, I just finished looking up the pre-req info AGAIN on all of my chosen applications to take note of which last 2 courses I might need to take during the summer session.  

Oh, and is anyone else annoyed that AP credit for statistics doesn't count at UNC?  When I asked for more detail about this, they claimed it was an ASHA change.  Well, I checked the ASHA document and contacted someone at ASHA as well as the university where I am currently taking pre-reqs (Longwood U).  The only change was that instead of saying "math, can include statistics"  they made the requirement specifically a statistics course.  And ASHA has no problem with a course awarded through AP credit.  So... in this matter, UNC's conflicting information confuses me.  I was AWARDED AP credit for statistics for undergrad at UNC... and it was good enough then ... somehow no longer good enough anymore!  

Done venting... my point, I guess, is that I have to take 2 classes over the summer if I am lucky enough to get into UNC - my last SLP prereq (speech science) and now a statistics course.  It's all a bit confusing when universities choose to interpret the ASHA (KASA) document differently. The other universities I will have to take 2 courses, with one exception (Greensboro - I need 4 more classes for them).  I can do it... especially with my type-A personality that annoys me so much... HAHA!! 

Edited by kcald716

I just can't tell why they wouldn't notify everyone of acceptances/wait lists/rejections all at once. Why space it out? I have no idea about my status right now, and other people are finding out. The stress is too much and I just want to know, dammit.

I applied December 1 so I can't tell why I haven't heard. :(

Does UNC-CH review applications by submission date? Anyone know? I know it's a far reach for me, but I keep doing what everyone else seems to be doing...looking at these results coming in and wondering where my decision is - one way or another. Somehow I think finding this site has made me more impatient.

Does UNC-CH review applications by submission date? Anyone know? I know it's a far reach for me, but I keep doing what everyone else seems to be doing...looking at these results coming in and wondering where my decision is - one way or another. Somehow I think finding this site has made me more impatient.

It doesn't seem likely. I applied on 12/1/12 and I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure how they're notifying people, or what method. It seems totally random to me right now, since there have only been acceptances via phone and then a few rejections via website.

I would just like the relief of a decision.

It doesn't seem likely. I applied on 12/1/12 and I haven't heard anything. I'm not sure how they're notifying people, or what method. It seems totally random to me right now, since there have only been acceptances via phone and then a few rejections via website.

I would just like the relief of a decision.

Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't really be a logical method. Hopefully they don't make us wait too much longer. I think I'm just getting carried away.,,I've been anxiously checking my e-mail and snail mail daily , even though I know it's too early for most places I've applied.

Haha, kcald, I was doing the same thing with my prereqs today. I still need a language development class and aural rehab. I am hoping to be able to take them both during the summer here, but the department is still trying to figure out what will be offered this summer.

To complicate things, two of my schools' policies about prereqs are a little hazy, at least based on the websites. I think I'm going to be coordinating a lot of moving parts soon - calling graduate coordinators for confirmation/clarification, haranguing my department about the summer schedule, looking at calendars, etc.

Are you confident that you are going to be able to take everything you need at your current institution this summer? If not, what's your backup plan?

I've been a little worried about prereqs as well. I know I will have to take stats and now either physics or chem per the new ASHA requirements, but I really, really hope I don't have to retake biology and psychology (I took them over a decade ago). I haven't actually read anything to suggest that, but I do worry a bit about my prior coursework "expiring."

If I have to retake all/most of those non-SLP classes to meet ASHA reqs, I'm likely looking at three solid semesters of work before I even begin my SLP master's studies in earnest, though I guess I may be able to squeeze in the ASHA reqs during the summers or even while/after taking SLP classes.

Worry and anxiety and stress, oh my!

Edited by midnight streetlight

I don't have any news from UNC on the website yet either.  I'm assuming it's going to be a rejection but I wish they would just post it so I could stop thinking about it!  Today has been kind of terrible in general so it would have been nice to just get the rejection out of the way and get to start clean tomorrow.  My birthday is in a couple of days... I bet they'll wait to reject me until then ;-)

I don't have any news from UNC on the website yet either.  I'm assuming it's going to be a rejection but I wish they would just post it so I could stop thinking about it!  Today has been kind of terrible in general so it would have been nice to just get the rejection out of the way and get to start clean tomorrow.  My birthday is in a couple of days... I bet they'll wait to reject me until then ;-)

Well, judging from your stats (and everyone else who's been waiting for UNC), I'd say any rejections are simply because they don't have the room, not because you aren't a strong candidate. It must be damn hard to be on that adcom!

Anyway, I know that barely softens the blow, but it's true. And remember--we don't even know if all the acceptances have come in, and there's still the possibility of the waitlist.

Well, judging from your stats (and everyone else who's been waiting for UNC), I'd say any rejections are simply because they don't have the room, not because you aren't a strong candidate. It must be damn hard to be on that adcom!

Anyway, I know that barely softens the blow, but it's true. And remember--we don't even know if all the acceptances have come in, and there's still the possibility of the waitlist.

You are very kind :-)  I believe that things always work out one way or another (even if it's not the way we hoped/planned).  I'm just such a planner that the waiting is making me crazy!

You are very kind :-)  I believe that things always work out one way or another (even if it's not the way we hoped/planned).  I'm just such a planner that the waiting is making me crazy!

Me too. A lot of things are psychologically on hold for me until I find out if I'm going to school and where.

And hey, maybe we'll be at UVA together!

Haha, kcald, I was doing the same thing with my prereqs today. I still need a language development class and aural rehab. I am hoping to be able to take them both during the summer here, but the department is still trying to figure out what will be offered this summer.

To complicate things, two of my schools' policies about prereqs are a little hazy, at least based on the websites. I think I'm going to be coordinating a lot of moving parts soon - calling graduate coordinators for confirmation/clarification, haranguing my department about the summer schedule, looking at calendars, etc.

Are you confident that you are going to be able to take everything you need at your current institution this summer? If not, what's your backup plan?

That is actually what I was researching last night -- I need aural rehab and speech science for UNCG, Western Carolina, and ECU ... but unfortunately I can't get aural rehab through my Longwood U pre-req program.  So I found another school online where I can get the aural rehab class by itself (I'm going to hate my transcript fees; prereqs are already at 2 places, soon to be 3).  

The back story of course is that I stumbled into this field about the end of March 2012 - and immediately investigated where I could apply, what the pre-reqs were, etc.  By that time, it was too late to get into the ECU pre-req program (only 20 spots and they had 140 on the wait list even for that program!).  So I had to hunt out of state.  I missed the deadline for Ohio State, wasn't interested in doing a second bacc with USU, and fell into Longwood.  The U of Alaska program (which has the exact classes ECU requires for pre-reqs) would have been great but they don't offer the classes during the semesters I was going to need them.

If I get into UNCG though... I ALSO have to take neurology, morphology/syntax and phonology/artic (plus speech science and aural rehab), which I can take with Longwood (except aural rehab of course).  I REALLY don't want to have to take 5 classes over the summer, but it is much easier to knock out the prereqs before entering the grad program rather than taking classes on top of the grad courseload.  

Last summer I took 3 classes and it felt like a lot, although thinking back on it, I also was recovering from foot surgery, so I wasn't constantly working on coursework either.  So... I feel like I can get the last of the classes done, but its just a matter of knowing what I need to take and if I get accepted anywhere.  I already talked with my Longwood advisor who was admittedly surprised I didn't apply to Longwood, but since they require the same courses as UNCG, I figured I would avoid the out-of-state tuition.  My advisor and I talked re: applying to Longwood for next application cycle and taking the classes 1 to 2 at a time in summer/fall/spring and she seemed fairly confident that I would have a good shot at getting in since I did the pre-reqs with them.  So... plan X is reapply next year to many of the same places but add Longwood, Armstrong Atlantic, UGA, East Tennessee (all within the geographical area we are looking at). 

I don't think you will have to re-take psychology or whatever else -- my psychology, chem, sociology courses were all during undergrad 2002-2006, and I don't think that those technically "expire."  The more recent, the better, because you will be drawing on that knowledge, but as long as you have had it, I don't think ASHA has set a term of expiration ... yet.  I am just hoping that UNC CH is the only school being so conflicting about the statistics course -- my AP credit was difficult to earn and I got it ... I do NOT want to have to retake that class this summer.  There is a local community college that offers it online, if I have to do that, I will do that during the grad program as long as the ASHA requirements are fulfilled by graduation time (and pay out-of-pocket tuition so it doesn't impact any federal financial aid I might get).  

I can't even imagine why you would be rejected from UNC-CH other than space. Your stats are outrageous (in a good way).