2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I'm thinking positive thoughts for you!

Thanks! I guess I didn't realize how much of a long-shot it was until I started reading on here. I am bracing for a rejection, although I wish I had an acceptance to cushion it with. Actually, since I've started posting on here, I am getting the impression I am not a competitive enough candidate anywhere I applied.

Not quite sure how to handle it. 

Don't give up yet! :( I am highly doubting that they call each and every accepted student... these are probably grand/fellowship recipients...

Did you receive a call? I am hoping you were the one  :)

Did you receive a call? I am hoping you were the one  :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. i wish! nope, just noticed that the 2 posts today were both contacted via phone. I feel like that is pretty unusual, and it looks like last year everyone was contacted via the online app system

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. i wish! nope, just noticed that the 2 posts today were both contacted via phone. I feel like that is pretty unusual, and it looks like last year everyone was contacted via the online app system

Aw I was so hopeful! I wouldn't have been so upset if it was a nice girl on here. Trying to stay optimistic!

Thanks! I guess I didn't realize how much of a long-shot it was until I started reading on here. I am bracing for a rejection, although I wish I had an acceptance to cushion it with. Actually, since I've started posting on here, I am getting the impression I am not a competitive enough candidate anywhere I applied.

Not quite sure how to handle it. 

Yeah, it didn't really boost my confidence to read the hard facts about Boulder in that other thread, even though I knew it was hypercompetitive when I applied.

However, as katieliz mentioned, the UNC phone call acceptances are unusual. I really believe they have to do with funding or other special considerations. I know that doesn't help much, but those acceptances in no way mean you aren't a strong candidate!

Anyone else apply at the University of Georgia? Does anyone know when they typically send out results? Thanks!

UGA applicant here. Judging by the admission results page here, it looks like early - mid March. I may lose my mind by then...

No notification from UNC for me either -- not on application status online either, still says "submitted."  I'm thinking that the early notifications are something special, maybe a scholarship or assistantship.  I agree with the analysis on last year's results having one person post results about a week before everyone else.  Holding on to hope.... for now!!!!

I was sitting in class today and I heard two girls complaining that the UW Madison letters were taking so long...I felt so horrible since I'm fairly certain all the acceptance and waitlist emails went out, and only rejections are left :(

For only having 28 days, February sure is a long month...

Hey Everyone! 

I am new to this thread but I just wanted to say good luck to you all!! You all sound like lovely people and I know that good things are coming to each one of you! I hope to hear back from more schools soon :/ I'm trying to match up my schools with my long term and long distance boyfriend of four years. I'm praying we get into the same school (that is why my schools are all over the map hahah). He is going for aerospace engineering (the what now?) so we will see! Again, good luck to all of you!!

UGA applicant here. Judging by the admission results page here, it looks like early - mid March. I may lose my mind by then...

Agreed. I have no idea how competitive UGA is or what they are looking for in an applicant so it makes it that more nerve-wrecking.

Hey Everyone! 

I am new to this thread but I just wanted to say good luck to you all!! You all sound like lovely people and I know that good things are coming to each one of you! I hope to hear back from more schools soon :/ I'm trying to match up my schools with my long term and long distance boyfriend of four years. I'm praying we get into the same school (that is why my schools are all over the map hahah). He is going for aerospace engineering (the what now?) so we will see! Again, good luck to all of you!!

Congrats on UMD-College Park! I am in MD now for undergrad, and that is a great/competitive program. Good for you!

Congrats on UMD-College Park! I am in MD now for undergrad, and that is a great/competitive program. Good for you!

Aw, thank you very much! I have never been to UMD-College Park let alone the state of Maryland but from the photos online it looks really pretty! Any insights about what the professors are like and the atmosphere? Coming from Iowa it is very competitive all the time and a little too intense for me.. I don't like competing - I'd much rather enjoy my time and learn from those around me

College Park isn't really a competitive program once you're in. It becomes so competitive application-wise because there are only 2 public schools in the state of Maryland that offer a SLP program.

That being said, I have heard nothing but positive reviews about the program. The professors are great and you get a wonderful education. Additionally, since College Park is such a great school, you have wonderful clinical opportunities. I have been to College Park many times, and I personally feel like it's great. Everyone there is academically-driven (it's competitive even at the undergrad level), but everyone has a good time, too. You are also very close to D.C., which is a personal preference kind of thing.

If you are seriously considering it, I would recommend a visit. But once it's warmer  :)

Hey Everyone! 

Congrats!!! Would you mind posting your stats? I still haven't heard from Umaryland yet....

That is great advice - Thanks for everything! I definitely want to visit before making any final decisions! It is definitely on my short list. I personally would love being so close to D.C. especially after being in a less urban area for so long. And it is good to know they aren't crazy competitive within the program to the point they aren't nice - so that's good. Thanks again :) 

Congrats!!! Would you mind posting your stats? I still haven't heard from Umaryland yet....

Hey sure! I'm that obnoxiously long post that starts with 'oh my goodness' in the results section (I kinda freaked out). 

GPA: 3.68 Major GPA: 3.67

GRE: 152/151/4 (verbal, quant, writing)

As I said in my long note portion on the results page I completed a research honors thesis with Dr. Kirk at Iowa who was ASHAs president of research for a long time and invented the MLNT (a multi-modal speech perception test), and I was president of the Panhellenic council at Iowa (president of the governing council of the sorority community of 1500 women) along with other random facts that probably helped me out more so than my stats honestly. Good luck to you!! I hope you hear from them soon!! 

Hey sure! I'm that obnoxiously long post that starts with 'oh my goodness' in the results section (I kinda freaked out). 

GPA: 3.68 Major GPA: 3.67

GRE: 152/151/4 (verbal, quant, writing)

As I said in my long note portion on the results page I completed a research honors thesis with Dr. Kirk at Iowa who was ASHAs president of research for a long time and invented the MLNT (a multi-modal speech perception test), and I was president of the Panhellenic council at Iowa (president of the governing council of the sorority community of 1500 women) along with other random facts that probably helped me out more so than my stats honestly. Good luck to you!! I hope you hear from them soon!! 

Wow that is a pretty impressive application!!! Thank you for posting. And good luck with the rest of your applications.

Wow that is a pretty impressive application!!! Thank you for posting. And good luck with the rest of your applications.

I am truly thankful for all the blessings given my way that is for sure. Thank you so much, I really hope you hear back soon (they gave us a 30 day deadline to decide)! That feeling of knowing you will be going somewhere is indescribable...actually it still hasn't hit me...I genuinely wish that feeling for you all! Good luck!

I am truly thankful for all the blessings given my way that is for sure. Thank you so much, I really hope you hear back soon (they gave us a 30 day deadline to decide)! That feeling of knowing you will be going somewhere is indescribable...actually it still hasn't hit me...I genuinely wish that feeling for you all! Good luck!

Yes, congrats to you, lovablelauren! You sound like a lovely person, and your CV sounds amazing as well.

Edited by midnight streetlight

Yes, congrats to you, lovablelauren! You sound like a lovely person, and your CV sounds amazing as well.

Thank you very much, that is very sweet (Sorry the name is cheesy..I couldn't think of anything clever hahah) Good luck to you!

Hello All,

Just found this site tonight and decided to join in. I'm an in-major applicant - applied to 8 schools. UNC - Chapel Hill, Gallaudet, IUP, EUP, Bloomsburg, Clarion, WCU, and ESU. I've applied mostly in PA (where I live) to save on tuition. Like most of you (I assume), I am anxiously awaiting decisions and trying not to go crazy and fill my head with negative what-ifs.

Best of luck to all!

Do you already have your pre-reqs done? He's finishing up his second BA in CSD so I was at least heartened to see that he should hear back in early April, rather than late like the 3 year people. It's still such a long wait, though!

I'm almost finished with my pre-reqs. I would love to get into EB but Pacific is my #1 for their accelerated program. I went to the open house and I was very impressed.