2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I am seeing that people are hearing back from University of Texas-Austin. Were the acceptance/rejections sent via e-mail? I'm waiting anxiously now that I know that people are hearing from them!

I am so stinkin' happy for you guys who got interviews or acceptances already!!!  Hopefully you can send some prayers up for the rest of us once you get accepted!  STILL waiting to hear ANYTHING from all of my applications.  Two of my schools aren't technically "due" until February 15th but it looks like they respond relatively quickly according to the results search page. ... Hoping to hear by the end of February if at all possible!!! 

Hi everyone!  I am new to this forum...... I just saw some people have heard from UT-Austin already!  I thought they didn't notify until early March?!  I went to undergrad there and am really hoping to get in for my masters!!  Now that I know they have started notifying, I am very anxious! 

slptlc - you just got an email from them to check the site today?!  Ah!  congrats!!

I applied to - Northwestern, UT Austin, UT Dallas, University of Tulsa, and Univ of Oklahoma.  Haven't heard from any of them yet, but very anxious to hear!

Good luck to everyone! :)

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum...... I just saw some people have heard from UT-Austin already! I thought they didn't notify until early March?! I went to undergrad there and am really hoping to get in for my masters!! Now that I know they have started notifying, I am very anxious!

slptlc - you just got an email from them to check the site today?! Ah! congrats!!

I applied to - Northwestern, UT Austin, UT Dallas, University of Tulsa, and Univ of Oklahoma. Haven't heard from any of them yet, but very anxious to hear!

Good luck to everyone! :)

I read the same thing- was super surprised when I got an email at 1030 last night that an admissions decision was made an to login to see... Feeling very fortunate for such great news!

Can you share some of experiences as an undergrad there? Have you seen their clinic?

I'm sure you'll hear soon- sending good vibes your way :)

Thank you!

Undergrad there was great - I was a Linguistics major though, so I never got to experience much with the CSD department.  However, one of my best friends there was a CSD major and she loved it.  She was accepted there for grad school, and it was her first choice, but had some unexpected family obligations that pulled her out of Austin, but she obviously loved the department since it was her #1 choice!  Austin is also pretty great - it has changed a lot the last few years, really growing into a BIG city!  Very exciting for you to be accepted into such a great program!!  Would you mind tellng me your "stats" (GRE/GPA/Major)?

Congrats again!!  Hope I can share good news with you soon! :)

Edited by hannah86

Also, is everyone here applying for Masters or any phd applicants?

If there are any PhD applicants, I don't think they have announced themselves yet.  I'd love to talk to someone in a PhD SLP program about preparing for that -- I am also hoping to pursue a  PhD in the future and want to make sure I take the steps during the Master's program to set up my application for success!! 

I received an email from the University of West Georgia saying that candidates will be notified within the next two weeks if they have been chosen for an interview.  

I wish it was all a lot sooner and faster, but at least they gave a timeline.

The school isn't my first pick, but I'll be excited to get in anywhere. 

If there are any PhD applicants, I don't think they have announced themselves yet.  I'd love to talk to someone in a PhD SLP program about preparing for that -- I am also hoping to pursue a  PhD in the future and want to make sure I take the steps during the Master's program to set up my application for success!! 

Ditto on this.  I won't be going straight into the PhD, but I am extremely interested in conducting research & a PhD is on my 10-15 year plan.

Hi everyone. I’m loving all of the positivity and encouragement on this forum! I think it speaks well of the kind of folks entering the field. Can’t wait to join the SLP community!

I received an email from Lehman on the 11th inviting me to interview. Anyone have pointers regarding the interview process? Not quite sure how to prepare…

Edited by Lane67234

I applied to the master's program for fall 2013 in speech pathology at University of Akron, Kent State, Ohio University, and Cleveland State. I was rejected from University of Akron on Feb 8 2013. I haven't heard from the other schools yet. My bachelor's is in speech and hearing science and I graduated from The Ohio State University. My letters of reference were written by professors in speech pathology. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.58 and a major GPA of about 3.49. I have over 30 hours of observation in speech pathology and have been volunteering at an autism center in the speech  department since Novemeber 2012. I think I may have been rejected from University of Akron due to my low GRE score. I took the new GRE and have a verbal reasoning score of 148, a quantitative score of 144, and an analytical writing score of 4.0.  Would anyone else be willing to share their GRE scores and other stats?

Every school has a different view on what a "good" GRE score is. Some have very specific numbers, while others just have a range. Because I don't know much about Akron, it's hard to say. I'm sure if you ask the adcom, they will let you know how to improve your application. I'm sorry for your rejection, good luck with the rest!

Many schools want to see you at or very close to the 50th percentile for both V and Q and at least a 3.5/4 for W. Obviously some schools don't even care about the GRE and some want to see scores higher than the 50th percentile (and some don't really care as long as you hit that 50th % mark). But when I was applying most schools said that they want 50% percentile at least and that once they get all of the applications they compare GRE scores within the application class (if that makes any sense). But GRE scores are only a small part of the application. And your GPA is good so I wouldn't worry too much about the other schools. 

I applied to the master's program for fall 2013 in speech pathology at University of Akron, Kent State, Ohio University, and Cleveland State. I was rejected from University of Akron on Feb 8 2013. I haven't heard from the other schools yet. My bachelor's is in speech and hearing science and I graduated from The Ohio State University. My letters of reference were written by professors in speech pathology. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.58 and a major GPA of about 3.49. I have over 30 hours of observation in speech pathology and have been volunteering at an autism center in the speech  department since Novemeber 2012. I think I may have been rejected from University of Akron due to my low GRE score. I took the new GRE and have a verbal reasoning score of 148, a quantitative score of 144, and an analytical writing score of 4.0.  Would anyone else be willing to share their GRE scores and other stats?

barnett, the schools I'm applying to provide GPA and GRE guidelines. Does Akron have anything like that on their site? Also, though the info may be a bit outdated, you can check the ASHA EdFind to see schools' GRE ranges and acceptance numbers.

I'll say that one of my schools (Boulder) clearly states that they expect applicants to have GPAs of 3.3 or higher, but 3.6+ is preferred. For the GRE, they prefer a combined score of 306+ (I think?). Boulder is a really competitive program, though, and numbers vary depending on the school.

I have a 3.9 GPA and 314/5.0AW on the GRE and some experience working with ESL adults and young children with spectrum disorders.

And all that said, it's not necessarily scores that are keeping you out. The schools are receiving lots of applications due to rising interest in the SLP field, and they just don't have many slots to fill.

Edited by midnight streetlight

I applied to the master's program for fall 2013 in speech pathology at University of Akron, Kent State, Ohio University, and Cleveland State. I was rejected from University of Akron on Feb 8 2013. I haven't heard from the other schools yet. My bachelor's is in speech and hearing science and I graduated from The Ohio State University. My letters of reference were written by professors in speech pathology. I have an undergrad GPA of 3.58 and a major GPA of about 3.49. I have over 30 hours of observation in speech pathology and have been volunteering at an autism center in the speech department since Novemeber 2012. I think I may have been rejected from University of Akron due to my low GRE score. I took the new GRE and have a verbal reasoning score of 148, a quantitative score of 144, and an analytical writing score of 4.0.  Would anyone else be willing to share their GRE scores and other stats?

While I think GRE scores and GPAs are important for a baseline of an applicant, I believe schools also take a good look at the experience and the overall quality of the applicant.  It seems like you have done some volunteering and have more than just classroom experience in the field, and that'll definitely help your application stand out.  Good luck!  I'm wishing the best for you!

As for me, I am in-field applicant with a GPA of 3.76, a GRE total of 313, and Analytical Writing score of 5.5.

Why did I think AW was out of 5?

It's out of 6. I remember being SO disappointed in my AW score (a 5 so a good score) because I was a colligate debater and the writing was all about constructing and breaking down arguments (which is what one does in a debate). But the AW score doesn't matter much for SLP school so, it was just my ego that was bruised haha. 

What's sad is that last time I took the GRE, I got a six on the writing portion. I know that my academic writing skills haven't suffered that much in 5 years, but they gave me a 4.5 this time. I did not like the time/countdown on that portion of the test; I found that to be distracting. Last time I took the old format (which had better prompts) and I don't remember it being timed, or there was much more time available. I considered a re-take but it seemed that my score fell within the threshold for most schools, so I went with it. If none work out this year, I will definitely re-take before reapplying.

What's sad is that last time I took the GRE, I got a six on the writing portion. I know that my academic writing skills haven't suffered that much in 5 years, but they gave me a 4.5 this time. I did not like the time/countdown on that portion of the test; I found that to be distracting. Last time I took the old format (which had better prompts) and I don't remember it being timed, or there was much more time available. I considered a re-take but it seemed that my score fell within the threshold for most schools, so I went with it. If none work out this year, I will definitely re-take before reapplying.

kcald, the GRE Issue essay used to give test takers 45 minutes to write; it's now 30. I took the old GRE and the revised one, too, and I can tell you that I dearly missed those extra 15 minutes, and my AW went down.

Anyway, I think many SLP programs don't really care about AW or at least don't seem to emphasize it, but if you do decide to retake, I'm sure you can get a 6 or at least a 5+ with some timed practice beforehand.

kcald, the GRE Issue essay used to give test takers 45 minutes to write; it's now 30. I took the old GRE and the revised one, too, and I can tell you that I dearly missed those extra 15 minutes, and my AW went down.

Anyway, I think many SLP programs don't really care about AW or at least don't seem to emphasize it, but if you do decide to retake, I'm sure you can get a 6 or at least a 5+ with some timed practice beforehand.

I have also taken the old & the new - definitely missed the 15 minutes this time around.  I was writing up until the last minute, so very little time for revision.

My AW score was the only number that surprised me - I genuinely thought I had done better.  However, I was flustered at the time - I had asked the girl at the check-in counter if I could wear my (completely analog) watch & she said yes.  I then went into the screening room & received a pretty aggressive pat down.  When she saw my watch, she immediately ordered me to leave the room & remove it (I guess there is no hard & fast policy on watches?  Even the ETS website only says you "may" be asked to remove it).  When I came back, the pat down I got was worse than the ones you get at the airport - hands in pants, up shirt, the whole shebang.  It was mortifying, but I didn't want to complain, because I didn't want to get kicked out of the testing center.

All that to say - I was flustered during the writing portion, which probably led to me overestimating my performance.  I'll take it though - it was still better than the first time (when I actually dozed off mid-essay because I was working 90+ hours a week at that time.  Mortifying).

Edited by chellinchen