2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I actually am feeling that same way too -- I'd be honored and happy to get accepted anywhere.  The standards for SLP programs are very high, so anywhere I could even possibly dream of getting accepted would be a great honor.  We are geographically limited, because we just can't move too far, plus I am out-of-field, so the fewest pre-reqs possible to get accepted has kind of placed some programs higher up on our mental list of preferences than others, but I am confident in the academics of all of the programs where I applied, and enjoyed my visits.  

GAH ... just hoping to hear something, anything, soon.  I am reasonably sure I will get at least 2 rejections if not more...  Hence the number of apps I filled out! 

Yup, I'm out-of-field and limited by geography, too! I could only apply to programs that offer a three-year track, so that's why my list is incredibly short. I probably should've applied to JMU and GWU as well, but JMU accepts an incredibly small number of out-of-fielders, and GWU is expensive, plus they make you reapply after your leveling year (not quite sure how that works, but it seems a little annoying).

I think the fact that I only applied to two competitive programs may come across as cocky or naive, but I'm definitely not either of those things, haha! Please, just let me get in somewhere!

Edited by midnight streetlight

Yea, I applied to Hunter, LIU, New York Medical College, and UW-MEDSLP last year. I guess scoring an interview at NYMC this year was definitely a shock to me, but attests to the fact that I didn't give up and how things can turn around in a year! After my last rejection last year, I was like what can I do to stand out?? I sought out an undegrad speech volunteer program at a local hospital where I spent 100 hours shadowing and assisting SLP's- I loved it! I was able to learn more about dysphagia ( my area of interest)- I was able to watch and prep for VES, I also participated in 1:1 and group feeds. After my program ended, I shadowed an SLP in a NYC hospital where I saw LSVT for the first time and loved that! This past November, I started a new job as a 1:1 in a preschool for kids with disabilities and autism and I am currently enrolled in a graduate certificate program in Autism Spectrum Disorders. It has been a long road, but it was worth it- this past year I have learned more about our field outside of a classroom then in one lol....

Hey, I'm new here. Thank you so much for posting your experience. I am in the same boat as you, this is my second year applying, and I had really similar experiences to you this last year while trying to stay in the field (Ive been an undergrad assistant in the SLP department of a hospital 25 hours a week for the last 5 months, video swallows, feeding, taking LSVT data, peds, adults, the whole 9 yards) and everyone being so positive about your situation is helping me go less crazy over here... so thank you for sharing! Congrats on your interview!

Hey, I'm new here. Thank you so much for posting your experience. I am in the same boat as you, this is my second year applying, and I had really similar experiences to you this last year while trying to stay in the field (Ive been an undergrad assistant in the SLP department of a hospital 25 hours a week for the last 5 months, video swallows, feeding, taking LSVT data, peds, adults, the whole 9 yards) and everyone being so positive about your situation is helping me go less crazy over here... so thank you for sharing! Congrats on your interview!

No problem, I figured I'd share my story because I know I am not the only one reapplying! Plenty of people I graduated with last year also did not get accepted- a few chose to reapply, but a lot chose to go a different route. I am so glad I have someone who is in the same boat as me on this forum- so thank you for posting about your experience as well! Thats awesome, 25 hours a week!! I definitely miss the hospital setting, I really loved it. So is it safe to assume you are also interested in the medical aspect of SLP as well?? 

No problem, I figured I'd share my story because I know I am not the only one reapplying! Plenty of people I graduated with last year also did not get accepted- a few chose to reapply, but a lot chose to go a different route. I am so glad I have someone who is in the same boat as me on this forum- so thank you for posting about your experience as well! Thats awesome, 25 hours a week!! I definitely miss the hospital setting, I really loved it. So is it safe to assume you are also interested in the medical aspect of SLP as well?? 

Absolutely, I find the medical side so fascinating. Watching the videos are my favorite part of the day. Being on the floor I've gotten to see so much. It's weird because I never would have thought that I'd be so interested in the medical side. My stats are disgustingly awful though.. so I didn't bother applying to places like NYMC. 

Idk.. we shall see. If it doesn't happen this year I've already braced myself to step away from SLP and start down another path. 

Absolutely, I find the medical side so fascinating. Watching the videos are my favorite part of the day. Being on the floor I've gotten to see so much. It's weird because I never would have thought that I'd be so interested in the medical side. My stats are disgustingly awful though.. so I didn't bother applying to places like NYMC. 

Idk.. we shall see. If it doesn't happen this year I've already braced myself to step away from SLP and start down another path. 

Oooooh, you applied to Baylor, too?! Summer start or Fall start? I haven't encountered any other Baylor applicants on here yet :) Do you know any information about how/when we should be hearing back?

I love medical SLP, my dream is to work in a NICU one day. I think we are both in better standing than last year- so stay positive!!! I see you also applied to Adelphi, hopefully we hear back soon! Have you visited any of your prospective schools?

As of now, I just need to accept that I made myself the best possible applicant I could. I have a decent GPA (I think), decent GRE scores, a dual-degree, great extracurricular experience, and a wonderful SOP.

There was nothing I could have done differently. It is now out of my hands. 

Hopefulslp88,

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to find the undegrad speech volunteer program where you completed 100 hours of observation? That sounds like an amazing opportunity and something that I am interested in! I am also applying to grad school but feel a bit pesimistic because of all the competition. I would love to volunteer in a hospital setting as a backup plan for myself. I only have volunteer experience with children with language delays and autism.

Thanks so much and good luck!  :)

Edited by CaramelLatte

Oooooh, you applied to Baylor, too?! Summer start or Fall start? I haven't encountered any other Baylor applicants on here yet :) Do you know any information about how/when we should be hearing back?

I applied fall.. haven't heard anything at all!

I love medical SLP, my dream is to work in a NICU one day. I think we are both in better standing than last year- so stay positive!!! I see you also applied to Adelphi, hopefully we hear back soon! Have you visited any of your prospective schools?

I havent visited anywhere. I don't want to get excited... how about you?

Hopefulslp88,

Hey! If you don't mind me asking, how were you able to find the undegrad speech volunteer program where you completed 100 hours of observation? That sounds like an amazing opportunity and something that I am interested in! I am also applying to grad school but feel a bit pesimistic because of all the competition. I would love to volunteer in a hospital setting as a backup plan for myself. I only have volunteer experience with children with language delays and autism.

Thanks so much and good luck!  :)

It was pure luck! lol An SLP my aunt knew clued me in on the program, I was committed to 100 hours because that was hospital policy when accepting volunteers and I was totally fine with that many hours because I loved every minute! I would call local hospitals and inquire about volunteering in the speech department or shadowing an SLP. What schools did you apply to?

Edited by hopefulslp88

I havent visited anywhere. I don't want to get excited... how about you?

I went to open houses last year for Kean, Adelphi,Hofstra,St.John's, and NYMC. I just wanted to find out about their programs and I would be ecstatic to be accepted to any of them! One acceptance thats all I need lol

For those hearing from Marquette, did they send it to your personal email or via their site or your Marquette email?

I am also waiting to hear back from Marquette! You can forward your checkmarq email to your regular email (they sent directions on how to do this in the information envelope about checkmarq).  I'm guessing that they send the admissions notification to your "regular" email, however?    

Have you visited the program?  The staff is wonderful and the facilities are very nice :)

Edited by lissap08

I managed to check my Emarq, but nothing there either. I'm trying to figure out if it's a good thing that we haven't heard yet or not.

I haven't visited the program, but I'm from Milwaukee so I've seen the campus a bit. However, while Marquette is very high on my list, I would need good funding :/

I hate this not knowing what's up!

I have a feeling Marquette will be notifying acceptances via mail again... Keeping my eyes open!  And I'm telling my parents to check the mail back home in case they send it to my permanent address. :-/

It was pure luck! lol An SLP my aunt knew clued me in on the program, I was committed to 100 hours because that was hospital policy when accepting volunteers and I was totally fine with that many hours because I loved every minute! I would call local hospitals and inquire about volunteering in the speech department or shadowing an SLP. What schools did you apply to?

That is so great that you got to observe for 100 hours. I was able to observe for two full weeks at a hospital in St. Petersburg. What made it amazing is that it is one of the few hospitals in the area that offers trauma, acute, and rehabilitation services in speech pathology.

Trauma was definitely my favorite with acute care being second. I was able to observe multiple Videostroboscopes and swallow studies daily.

That is so great that you got to observe for 100 hours. I was able to observe for two full weeks at a hospital in St. Petersburg. What made it amazing is that it is one of the few hospitals in the area that offers trauma, acute, and rehabilitation services in speech pathology.

Trauma was definitely my favorite with acute care being second. I was able to observe multiple Videostroboscopes and swallow studies daily.

I really feel very lucky that I was able to experience what I did. It was definitely a lot of observation,but the hands on experience was my absolute favorite! It sounds silly,but I enjoyed the responsibilities they gave me with 1:1 feeds, thickening patient's liquids, and barium/food prep for VES. The first time they let me palpate a swallow was awesome-showing me where to place my hands and I was able to feel a delayed swallow. The little things are what really made it memorable! I really also loved the patients, I got to learn about their lives and that really made it worth while!

Edited by hopefulslp88

I have a feeling Marquette will be notifying acceptances via mail again... Keeping my eyes open!  And I'm telling my parents to check the mail back home in case they send it to my permanent address. :-/

Another university I applied to also sent snail mail letters last year (according to the results page) but sent acceptance and waitlist emails this year (then sent a letter with the same email).  So maybe they'll vary it this year?  If not, I'm watching my mailbox!

My parents are on strict orders to open all of my mail that might come there.  Since I'm a post-bacc applicant I've been out of the house a few years but put them down as my permanent address just to be safe.  However, my mom has gone on a kick where she flat out insists on not opening my mail (hardly any of my mail goes to their house), but forwarding it to me. 

Maybe waitlist and acceptances are on letters and rejections by email?  Maybe they just want to mess with our minds!  (It's working...)

has anyone heard from nyu? seems like people on the boards are finding out (both acceptances and rejections), but I have yet to hear anything. oy.

I'm in the same boat! I don't know how to control my anxiety for much longer!

Ahhh! I keep seeing so many people get into UT - Dallas on the results page....... Anyone on here one of those?!  If so, congrats!! 

I sent in my app pretty early there and have heard nothing from them!  I am so anxious to hear!!!