2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Kcald716 - tried to reply to your post but ended up just re-posting! Still figuring out this site. CLEP stands for college level something, not sure, I had to google it. Basically it's like AP credit but you get to take it anytime. I'm not really sure how it works ... Whether its scored like the GRE or if it's pass/fail. One of my friends took classes online from straighterline.com for pre reqs for columbia's public health program. But straighterline isn't accredited so really need to check with your school to see if they would accept. I've taken most of my speech pre reqs online through suny (state university of new York) new paltz and I've really enjoyed. But even the community colleges in the suny network are about $300/credit and that is for in-state. I am really dreading statistics.

I actually did CLEP for a history credit in college. The disclaimer here is that this was in about 2005, so some of my intel could be out of date.

The idea is that it's a way to earn credit for college-level knowledge acquired outside the classroom - "credit by examination". Check out the CLEP website for a list of subject tests they offer. You take the test at somewhere like a university testing center, and I believe it's scored automatically on the spot.

Different schools accept different scores for credit on various classes. Some schools have a limit on how much credit-by-examination you can earn. I believe credit is usually awarded on a pass-fail basis, i.e., you get the 3 credit hours if you acheive the required score, but you don't get a letter grade and it therefore isn't calcualted into your GPA. The tricky part is that not every school accepts every CLEP test, and the score requirements can vary quite a bit, e.g., some schools may require a 60 on the test to award credit, while others require a 65, etc. Here's an example: http://www.sa.sc.edu/orientation/clep-2/

The good news at that there are CLEP prep books out there for many subjects. My test was easy to study for since it was American History, and I remembered the basics from high school. I went through a prep book to review and read a couple of library books; I passed it the first time with no difficulty. I think it would be harder for a new subject that one is completely unfamiliar with.

Another Monday and another full week ahead that will hopefully bring good news! That being said, I will be obnoxiously checking my email until I receive ANYTHING from NYU...

Another Monday and another full week ahead that will hopefully bring good news! That being said, I will be obnoxiously checking my email until I receive ANYTHING from NYU...

hahahah same. i really dont get how nyu is doing their decision notifications. it seems so random that they send a couple out each day. and i don't think it's rolling bc i submitted my app the first week of december and people who have been notified submitted in january. so strange!

It seems like another person heard from nyu today! What is going on with their system? I havent heard anything. Has anyone else gotten news either of admission or of an interview?

The results page is showing a lot of rejections today... uh oh

It seems like people were accepted to Emerson already by this time last year. On the results page, I see that ppl got acceptances as early as the 14th of Feb. I'm hoping the results come out this week because this waiting is driving me crazy!

I just got an email that I've been selected for an interview at BU! It's by Skype either tomorrow or Wednesday, which makes me feel like it's less real than the in-person interviews that happened this weekend. I'm in Connecticut and would have been happy to go up there this weekend for an in-person interview, but I'll take what I can get!

Congrats in the BU interview, toothbrush! ;-)

My hope is that allow the people who got accepted where I applied also have multiple acceptances and will open up a spot for me. Haven't heard really any news, positive or negative, so far. This week and next week... and possibly the next.. are going to be super huge for many of us!

Good luck at the interview!

I just got an email that I've been selected for an interview at BU! It's by Skype either tomorrow or Wednesday, which makes me feel like it's less real than the in-person interviews that happened this weekend. I'm in Connecticut and would have been happy to go up there this weekend for an in-person interview, but I'll take what I can get!

they explained to us at the interview that some people's applications got stuck in csdcas and they couldn't access them in time to make decisions about the oncampus interviews. so that's probably what happened, it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all!

they explained to us at the interview that some people's applications got stuck in csdcas and they couldn't access them in time to make decisions about the oncampus interviews. so that's probably what happened, it shouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all!

Thanks for telling me that, speech310!  That would make sense for me -- I know my application got stuck at CSDCAS (because they lost a transcript that I had sent to them by overnight mail...sigh) and wasn't even officially mailed until February 14th, by which point the on-campus interview invitations had gone out.

I think we will hear from Marquette Monday, and I think I'll have two more schools sending stuff out this week, and I'm almost a nervous wreck.

Worst is, I don't have to be anywhere unti 1 tomorrow, so I have the entire morning to sit with my email account, nothing to distract me like during the rest of the week :/

If however Marquette does do them by postal service for whatever reason, I'll at least get the letter super quick :)

Any other Wisconsinites on here lurking around?

I'm in Wisconsin too! I'm getting very anxious to hear from UW schools. I applied to UW-Milwaukee, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Whitewater, Marquette, UT-Austin, Ithaca College, Rush University and St. Xavier University.

Yeah :/ I'm finding it impossible to study.. just keep hitting refresh. I need to stop obsessing.

This is my EXACT situation right now... I have a chemistry exam tonight but I am just so anxious about hearing/not hearing back that I can't focus. 

Thanks tuckerma about the information on CLEP exams.  I quickly looked at the ASHA website and confirmed that the do accept CLEP and AP exams for the general pre-requisite knowledge areas.  Whether grad schools will accept is another issue...  I am hoping to take the biology CLEP.   I noticed you applied to vanderbilt - I did as well.  Do you think they will send out their notifications by oldey-fashioned US postal service like they did last year?

I also applied to NYU - haven't heard anything.

Toothbrush, since it is a Skype interview, will they be seeing your whole body? I think a nice dress shirt and dress pants will be good. I wouldn't go out and spend money on a suit unless you know of other in-person interviews you may get invited to in the next few weeks.

This link lists the courses they offer for the non-degree seeking at USU:   http://comd.usu.edu/htm/distance-education/online-post-bachelors-degree/online-post-bach-courses'>http://comd.usu.edu/htm/distance-education/online-post-bachelors-degree/online-post-bach-courses   Also, yes tuckerma- applying there is super easy - it's just basically "you are in!" haha.  But I guess that's because it's non-degree seeking.  So far I have taken Language Development, A&P of the Speech Mechanism there, and I am taking Speech Science this semester.  They do offer Aural Rehab (not just pediatric unless something has changed) and I was told by a couple schools that they had students who had taken it there and it counted.  You may want to check with your programs to be sure, but their classes are pretty legit!  They are pretty thorough and some are harder than others, but I feel like they are preparing me well for graduate school.  They definitely helped me knock out a few courses that weren't offered locally where I'm living now!   Good luck and if anyone has any specific questions about the USU stuff, feel free to ask me!   Hope we all get good news next week!!!
Hi, thanks for sharing about USU's non-degree program. I was checking it out and the only concern I have is the "proctored exam." Have you done that in any of your classes? It seems like a hassle to find a proctor because I am out-of-state, and I can't figure out how to access the list of certified proctors.

Hi, thanks for sharing about USU's non-degree program. I was checking it out and the only concern I have is the "proctored exam." Have you done that in any of your classes? It seems like a hassle

to find a proctor because I am out-of-state, and I can't figure out how to access the list of certified proctors.

Here is the USu info page on proctors. You might try a current professor, or your old high school teachers, perhaps. I didn't click on the restrictions in proctors, but I hope this helps!

https://rcde.usu.edu/testing/index.cfm/public/proctors

I noticed you applied to vanderbilt - I did as well.  Do you think they will send out their notifications by oldey-fashioned US postal service like they did last year?

I hope not, because I get my mail at a PO Box and don't stop by every day, as it's quite out of the way. But when people start posting that they've recieved something, I'll make the trip daily! I can't wait to hear from them!

Ohmygosshhhh I'm freaking out today!! I recognize that there is nothing I can do at this point but I've just got such bad feelings since my first notification from NYU :(. Anyone apply to UVM and hear anything, or know anything about their stats? They seem pretty private about acceptance rates!