2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

jmarti, do you know how USF notifies? I know you are waiting for them....

I'm waiting for UT Austin which should be by email sometime this week!  And also waiting for Northwestern, which hopefully should be soon.... ughhhh!

YES! I have class 430-10 on Mondays... and I work before that.  Mondays REALLY do suck for me!

Don't be too nervous!  If you are making 96 and 99s on tests you are obviously super smart!  Try to relax..... (So much easier said than done!).  It seems like SO many schools notified today...  I'm sure you'll hear something good soon!

What class is it? That sounds actually terrible. Especially on a Monday :(.

And it's just so hard! I love the program and if I get bad news, I think I will be crushed. I just need to hear something from somewhere already!

I totally understand... I feel for you.  Not hearing from ANYWHERE yet would drive me insane.

I have 2 classes - First Diagnostics, then Clinical Methods..... loooong day!

Try to get some rest & hopefully tomorrow will be your first good news!!!

For those of you who were accepted to MGH, did they call you this afternoon? I missed a call from a Boston number but there was no voicemail message...

Edited by deleria

For those of you who were accepted to MGH, did they call you this afternoon? I missed a call from a Boston number but there was no voicemail message...

I believe the status is also up online for you :)

I believe the status is also up online for you :)

Yes, I saw my status online, thanks though! :) I was mostly curious about whether they were calling just with admissions info or if there was any chance of funding. I answered my own question though - according to the separate MGH thread, looks like everyone was called regardless.

I always feel weird calling a number back if there is no voicemail message for some reason!

Did anyone here apply to the University of Iowa? Last year it looks like they notified people on February 29th (darn leap year), but still no word yet :/

hey CassieKay - I applied to Iowa! I was hoping to hear by today at least, since it seems like they have consistently notified applicants on or before March 1st the past few years, but I didn't hear anything either :(  Maybe tomorrow!!

I totally understand... I feel for you.  Not hearing from ANYWHERE yet would drive me insane.

I have 2 classes - First Diagnostics, then Clinical Methods..... loooong day!

Try to get some rest & hopefully tomorrow will be your first good news!!!

SLPtoBEwee, I noticed that you applied to OU. I did as well! Do you happen to know about when we can expect to hear back from them? By the way, congrats on your acceptances to UT and TU. 

Congrats to all those who received BU and MGH acceptances! Wow! (I was just in Boston this past weekend; it's a great city, and you're going to love it if you choose a school there.)

I just discovered this site...and now have a new obsession! I'm an undergrad in the Comm Dis program at UVA (the professors are amazing for anyone who wants to know) and I applied to UVA, USF, Vanderbilt, UNC-CH, and ODU. So far I got wait listed at UNC, and last week the department chair of ODU called me and asked me to come down to get a tour of the facilities and ask him questions about the program...I'm not sure if that's like an official interview? especially since apparently I'm supposed to be asking all the questions! lol 

anyway I'll just be glad to get in somewhere! I thought my stats were pretty good but after reading y'alls, now I'm not so sure :/

GPA: 3.49

Major GPA: 3.87

GRE: 166 verbal, 152 quant, 4.0 writing

I honestly think my strengths are my letters of recommendation because I have really great professors who I love and who thankfully love me back!  Hopefully that and my statement of purposes will pull me through.....I'm getting super nervous!

As far as advice, for USF if I am accepted I have to take a Neuroanatomy course related to speech/language because UVA doesn't offer that course at all. And USF is the only school that I'm applying to that requires that course as a pre-req for the program...I didn't want to spend $1500 on a course to not even get accepted so I put it off. But now the summer course offerings that I can find are so limited or too expensive...any suggestions of reasonably priced online neuroanatomy courses (or courses on a VA college campus somewhere) that I would still be able to apply for? I've only found 2 options....USF is my number one choice but the cost of this extra course is making me seriously reconsider. 

Edited by AMarie

And congratulations to everyone out there who's getting acceptance letters!!! you guys must be so stoked :)

Edited by AMarie

I just discovered this site...and now have a new obsession! I'm an undergrad in the Comm Dis program at UVA (the professors are amazing for anyone who wants to know) and I applied to UVA, USF, Vanderbilt, UNC-CH, and ODU. So far I got wait listed at UNC, and last week the department chair of ODU called me and asked me to come down to get a tour of the facilities and ask him questions about the program...I'm not sure if that's like an official interview? especially since apparently I'm supposed to be asking all the questions! lol 

anyway I'll just be glad to get in somewhere! I thought my stats were pretty good but after reading y'alls, now I'm not so sure :/

GPA: 3.49

Major GPA: 3.87

GRE: 166 verbal, 152 quant, 4.0 writing

I honestly think my strengths are my letters of recommendation because I have really great professors who I love and who thankfully love me back!  Hopefully that and my statement of purposes will pull me through.....I'm getting super nervous!

As far as advice, for USF if I am accepted I have to take a Neuroanatomy course related to speech/language because UVA doesn't offer that course at all. And USF is the only school that I'm applying to that requires that course as a pre-req for the program...I didn't want to spend $1500 on a course to not even get accepted so I put it off. But now the summer course offerings that I can find are so limited or too expensive...any suggestions of reasonably priced online neuroanatomy courses (or courses on a VA college campus somewhere) that I would still be able to apply for? I've only found 2 options....USF is my number one choice but the cost of this extra course is making me seriously reconsider. 

Hi, AMarie! I'd definitely treat the ODU visit like an interview--dress nicely, come prepared with questions, and dazzle them with your enthusiasm and knowledge about the field.

As for the USF prereq, does Utah State U offer a neuroanatomy course? (I don't know the cost, but it's worth checking out if you haven't already!) Or maybe Longwood, Radford, or Northern Virginia Community College?

Oh, and I would love to read more about your experience with UVA's program. Can I message you later with a few questions?

Hey everyone, I've been stalking this board for a while now but decided to finally join the conversation.

I'm guessing that if I didn't hear back from BU today I didn't get in? I'm trying to keep up a little bit of hope, but it isn't looking good.

I'm getting really nervous about UT Austin.  Is anyone familiar with the program?  I've heard it's amazing and Austin is a thriving city.  I'd love some insight if you've visited or attended as a student!

Longwood offers neurology in human communication- check out the syllabus online to see if it fits the description of the class you need at USF. Sometimes the title is different while the content is comparable. I am doing my pre-req classes there right now and love it.

http://www.longwood.edu/socialworkcsds/9359.htm