2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

Got my rejection from UNC CH today. At least now I FINALLY know, even though I knew for a while. :)

I'm sorry to hear that, and I'm sorry it took them SOOOO long :( i'm glad that you at least have some "closure", though =)

Got my rejection from UNC CH today. At least now I FINALLY know, even though I knew for a while. :)

I'm sorry it really sucks and the waiting continues.... Everyone has been telling me to stay positive and thats what I'm doing- it's not over until I receive my last letter!!

I'm sorry it really sucks and the waiting continues.... Everyone has been telling me to stay positive and thats what I'm doing- it's not over until I receive my last letter!!

Exactly :)

Ugh!  Someone just posted in the results that they emailed UT Austin about adding something new to their app and the response back said decisions will be sent out the week of March 18 :(  A lot longer than I had hoped!  Guess they are waiting until after spring break.  So now I have been told all 3 schools I'm waiting for won't notify for the next couple weeks.  Boo!  Guess I better take a chill pill and stop obsessing in the meantime.

Well, it looks like it's another day of no results. I keep checking the results page to see if anyone has heard from Radford since they are supposed to be making their decisions any day now and I am hoping to get their decision in the mail by Saturday. Everywhere else is either March 15th or who knows when. Next week is my spring break so I am hoping I can get at least one acceptance before then so I don't have to be obsessively checking my email and mail box through my entire spring break. It would also be nice to have a week off to drive and visit any of the towns/schools I am accepted in. Looks like that's not going to happen though.

Every day that passes is one day closer to getting some results, at least that is what I am trying to tell myself.  :wacko:

jmarti, sorry about UNC.  I think you have some really great schools on your list, though, and probably some that may fit better for you.  

It's Tuesday the 5th ... only 10 more days (hopefully) until some notifications go out for many of us!  I'm hoping to hear from 2 of my schools on Friday, but not holding my breath. 

I'm excited to see all the acceptances on here, so congrats to all of you!! :-) 

After two weeks of nadaa, I got an email from the University of Vermont today - got in!! So psyched although it looks like they didn't offer any funding either.  

I'm so frustrated though because it looks like James Madison has started announcing and it won't let me login to the portal! I'm hoping thing will start working soon and I can see the decision on that one too - fingers crossed!!! AHHHH

I'm so excited for everyone on here, by the way - checking these boards has become a daily thing for me and I love it when people get happy news :) .  For those of you who haven't heard back yet, keep your chin up - it won't be long now!!!

jmarti, sorry about UNC.  I think you have some really great schools on your list, though, and probably some that may fit better for you.  

It's Tuesday the 5th ... only 10 more days (hopefully) until some notifications go out for many of us!  I'm hoping to hear from 2 of my schools on Friday, but not holding my breath. 

Eeeeek! you're almost  to the single digit countdown! :D The end is FINALLY in sight!!

This waiting around is starting to really cause panic. I've received 2 rejections so far, still waiting to hear from 6 schools. I'm tired of talking about it and thinking about it. I know that most schools are sending out decisions within the next few weeks so I just have to stay positive. I know alot of you feel the same way! I didn't realize just how stress-inducing this waiting process can be!

It's no problem :) I had already accepted that I didn't get in, and I'm hoping to get into a school which may have more of a focus on hearing loss/cochlear implants. Still waiting to hear!

I am very curious what USC has in store for both of us ;)

It's no problem :) I had already accepted that I didn't get in, and I'm hoping to get into a school which may have more of a focus on hearing loss/cochlear implants. Still waiting to hear!

I am very curious what USC has in store for both of us ;)

AH me too!  My husband and I were talking about if I got in at USC and how that is really where I'd LOVE to go.  I'm a little scared about the window of time to reply and pay the deposit - if I haven't heard from at least some of the other schools on my list, I would hate to make that decision without knowing.  Plus, we own a townhouse about 25 mins from ECU's campus, so that would be an easy choice as far as having a place to live and everything.  

I have a friend who applied to med school at ECU (and it's his top choice), and he is waiting to hear back... we HONESTLY want him to get in to ECU, and rent the townhouse from us, so I am free to go to USC if accepted.  If someone on the boards gets into ECU and doesn't mind a 25 min drive for a 2 br, 1.5ba nice 2-story townhome with (or without) a washer dryer, fully loaded kitchen with new appliances, pets okay within HOA rules, pool, ponds on the grounds, very quiet .... message me!!!

I also am getting more excited about the program at Western Carolina.  It's totally in the BOONDOCKS (OMG!) but my husband would love to live in the mountains and only an an hour and 40 minutes from his family in Clemson SC.  My only concern with it is that the program is not very well known or on anyone's radar, so I'm unsure of prospects to get into a PhD program if my master's program is very small.  However, the small-knit department might just be a really good thing for me, lots of attention, lots of interaction with professors, etc.  

AH me too!  My husband and I were talking about if I got in at USC and how that is really where I'd LOVE to go.  I'm a little scared about the window of time to reply and pay the deposit - if I haven't heard from at least some of the other schools on my list, I would hate to make that decision without knowing.  Plus, we own a townhouse about 25 mins from ECU's campus, so that would be an easy choice as far as having a place to live and everything.  

I have a friend who applied to med school at ECU (and it's his top choice), and he is waiting to hear back... we HONESTLY want him to get in to ECU, and rent the townhouse from us, so I am free to go to USC if accepted.  If someone on the boards gets into ECU and doesn't mind a 25 min drive for a 2 br, 1.5ba nice 2-story townhome with (or without) a washer dryer, fully loaded kitchen with new appliances, pets okay within HOA rules, pool, ponds on the grounds, very quiet .... message me!!!

I also am getting more excited about the program at Western Carolina.  It's totally in the BOONDOCKS (OMG!) but my husband would love to live in the mountains and only an an hour and 40 minutes from his family in Clemson SC.  My only concern with it is that the program is not very well known or on anyone's radar, so I'm unsure of prospects to get into a PhD program if my master's program is very small.  However, the small-knit department might just be a really good thing for me, lots of attention, lots of interaction with professors, etc.  

I actually have a family friend who went to WCU- she loved it. Even though it was in the boonies.  :rolleyes:

As long as I get accepted, we are planning a trip to visit WCU on Saturday the 16th.  Going up for the 15th to visit the area, look at potential housing, and have dinner with a good friend of ours... so hopefully we'll know by the 14th when we leave whether or not the trip is worth taking! :-)  It's the only school I actually didn't get a chance to visit in person before applying.  

JMarti, if you don't mind me asking, what was your friend's favorite thing about the WCU program?  Anything they wish was different?  Suggestions for success? I want to take the Thesis option, if your friend would have any insight into that. 

I know the one thing that was kind of weird was that ASHA used to have categorical requirements for clinic- each student had to have a certain amount hours in each specific environment (educational, medical, etc). They then switched to a general number of hours without these hours, but NC kept the categorical requirements. When she moved back, she had to go through a lot of paperwork in order to get everything switched for our state. I'm sorry if that seems confusing, it was confusing when she explained it to me to begin with :P

I know she felt the department was very close and well-kept. She felt like because it was small, she got a really personal and in-depth education. She did not tell me of anything negative regarding classes or clinical placements. 

Yep, NC has stricter requirements about how many hours are in each type of placement.  They act as if they need to be more selective or something.  It's a pain in the rear, especially if I go to USC and need to coordinate fulfilling NC's requirements (that is, if I intend to get my CFY placement outside of SC).  Kind of annoying, in my opinion.  

Thanks for such a quick reply!  I'm burning up some time on gradcafe trying to de-stress from a long day at work, which included an hour of skate club after school and me being the DJ ... and coughing my head off!  I can NOT shake this cough!  IT doesn't help that since I'm the music teacher, I see the whole school between two and four times a week.  ALL of those illnesses, and all of the lysol I need to start using!!! 

Oh, hmm, well from what I understand, after you complete your clinical master's, you aren't fully certified (CCC's from ASHA) until you do something like 9 months in the CFY.  Usually you have to have an SLP that supervises you in some capacity, and I think they are required to observe you or work with you for something like 25% of the time, although I'm not sure on the numbers.  After you fulfill the ASHA requirements for your CFY, you apply to get your CCC's and you can then work fully alone.  Kind of like student-teaching, from the education perspective, although the supervision is not as detailed.  Some CFY's have said that they really felt pretty independent but liked having that support system there to talk to about paperwork, therapies, resources, etc. I don't know if it is the same in every state, although I would imagine the process should be pretty similar in most states. 

I think I read something about medicare/medicaid billing during your CFY year, that your supervising SLP has to sign off.  Don't know if I'm remembering this accurately.  Maybe someone else here knows more about the CFY? 

My husband just got a rejection from UW ... good luck to everyone else!

Sad!   -_- 

Hopefully some of the other schools will come through.  I checked through last year's SLP threads, and it seems like a LOT of people got accepted off wait-lists, so I'm hoping that if nothing else, we at least have a wait-list and a chance to come off it.  

Sad!   -_-

Hopefully some of the other schools will come through.  I checked through last year's SLP threads, and it seems like a LOT of people got accepted off wait-lists, so I'm hoping that if nothing else, we at least have a wait-list and a chance to come off it.  

Yeah, it's a bummer. It was a "reach" school but at this point, which schools aren't reach schools? Hopefully one of the other two come through. We were planning on leaving the PacNW if he didn't get into UW, anyway, so at least our moving boxes won't go to waste.  <_<