2013 SLP Admissions Thread!

I just wanted to say, like others have been, how helpful this forum has been before and during my grad admissions process! I haven't posted but I've checked this thread numerous times especially over the past month or two during the "waiting game" and just wanted to finally log-in and say congrats to everyone and positive thoughts to those still waiting!
Not many people really understand how competitive the SLP master's program is and how rough the application process can be, so I found this thread very helpful and a nice break from friends and family who just don't understand...

I thought it was reassuring that many members on here shared feelings especially when it comes to people out of field and their reactions to the whole process. It's not like I was asking everyone in my life to stop what they were doing and celebrate, but when I got my first acceptance most people were just like "of course you got in, why wouldn't you?" and ahhh you people just get it on here!!!

I having a little bit of a down moment. I just received my financial award letter from Columbia, and it just listed loans and work study. Which I'm assuming means I didn't get a scholarship, and even though I knew chances of that were infinitesimal and I'm super lucky to be admitted at all, I guess I hadn't realized how strongly I'd been clinging to that hope. Columbia was my dream school and I would LOVE to be closer to my family in Philly, but going to school in NYC was going to need serious funding (especially since I have cheap childcare here in Boston, but it would be insanely expensive there).

Oh well! Sadness over; time to count my blessings and be happy that I'll still be able to study what I love.

I having a little bit of a down moment. I just received my financial award letter from Columbia, and it just listed loans and work study. Which I'm assuming means I didn't get a scholarship, and even though I knew chances of that were infinitesimal and I'm super lucky to be admitted at all, I guess I hadn't realized how strongly I'd been clinging to that hope. Columbia was my dream school and I would LOVE to be closer to my family in Philly, but going to school in NYC was going to need serious funding (especially since I have cheap childcare here in Boston, but it would be insanely expensive there).

Oh well! Sadness over; time to count my blessings and be happy that I'll still be able to study what I love.

Well, I hate to string you along further, but I actually got an assistantship/scholarship offer from one of my schools and the Financial Aid department sent me a letter with loans as the only option, but that was because they hadn't been told yet by the Graduate School that I had been offered an assistantship.... SO..... it MAY not be too late.  I got a new letter a week or two later with info on the assistantship/scholarship and they said I would get a new letter from financial aid about loans available (I'm guessing they will offer less loans since I have other money coming now).  Just to keep a little hope in there!! :)  Good luck!

Slpf13, yes, I still have my interview! I'll be getting up bright and early on Friday to drive to Brooklyn haha. Crossing my fingers that it goes decently!

:) Good Luck with the interview slpgal123!!!

I don't think it's too late to change your mind at all, especially if you're considering something more specialized like pediatric dysphagia.

Since you already have an undergrad thesis on language acquisition, maybe your master's thesis could diverge a bit.  It's not too late to change your mind until you have already gotten your thesis topic approved.  Pursuing pediatric dysphagia sounds like a nice divergence in your interests and might lead you to pursue further research if you want to eventually pursue a PhD in either language acquisition, dysphagia, or something else, maybe language acquisition methods for children with dysphagia?  Just a couple of ideas.  

Edit: apparently I have trouble typing.  ;-) 

Thanks for the input! I definitely will NOT be doing a thesis again; writing isn't my strong suit :/ (I wish i was as brave/motivated as you, Kcald!!) If i was absolutely required to do a thesis/research project, i would still focus on language/literacy, but since i "just" want to be a clinician, i hoped i could afford to expand my horizons.

To anyone that applied to ETSU,

If you haven't already contacted them, I thought I would give an update! I e-mailed yesterday to check out when decisions are sent out and they said they send them out to the top ranked students the first week of April. After that, those students have 2 weeks to accept or decline, and then they go down the list till the slots fill up. 

Guess we have another couple of weeks until we get any decisions, but atleast we know a timeline!!!

Well, I hate to string you along further, but I actually got an assistantship/scholarship offer from one of my schools and the Financial Aid department sent me a letter with loans as the only option, but that was because they hadn't been told yet by the Graduate School that I had been offered an assistantship.... SO..... it MAY not be too late.  I got a new letter a week or two later with info on the assistantship/scholarship and they said I would get a new letter from financial aid about loans available (I'm guessing they will offer less loans since I have other money coming now).  Just to keep a little hope in there!! :)  Good luck!

:) It would be nice if that were the case! I'm debating calling them tomorrow to clarify if the financial aid letter definitely rules out a scholarship, but I suppose until then we will continue to hope for the best while planning for the worst. 

I'm sorry if Columbia isn't feasible, but you have some wonderful options.

Is MGH your second choice?

Oh, trust me, I know that I'm incredibly blessed to have the options I do! I had been expecting one or two acceptances. MGH and Emerson were always pretty closely tied for second. I love them both for different reasons, but right now I'm leaning toward MGH because I know I have some funding there (but Emerson hasn't sent out their decisions for merit aid yet, so who knows). 

I'm sorry, Columbia was my dream undergrad school, but I had almost the same thing happen; near fill ride at Pitt, or loans out the wazoo. If it helps any, I could not have been happier at Pitt and remain convinced it was a much better fit well beyond just finances. So maybe the school that offered you funding really is a better fit?

still bummed you're bummed

Oh, trust me, I know that I'm incredibly blessed to have the options I do! I had been expecting one or two acceptances. MGH and Emerson were always pretty closely tied for second. I love them both for different reasons, but right now I'm leaning toward MGH because I know I have some funding there (but Emerson hasn't sent out their decisions for merit aid yet, so who knows). 

I hope you get some good financial news soon!

If you haven't already contacted them, I thought I would give an update! I e-mailed yesterday to check out when decisions are sent out and they said they send them out to the top ranked students the first week of April. After that, those students have 2 weeks to accept or decline, and then they go down the list till the slots fill up. 

Guess we have another couple of weeks until we get any decisions, but atleast we know a timeline!!!

Thanks so much for the update!  That's such a bummer that they are so late this year.

Thanks for passing along info!! That just seems so far away! But at least I can relax a bit for two weeks...

Wow, I can't believe it's all really finished! I walked over to the CU SLHS building and handed my letter of intent to the program administrator this morning. This should free up a space on the Northern Colorado and Wyoming waitlists.

For everyone who is still waiting to hear back from schools, or trying to decide what the best option is, I release all the luck I have to you and will keep fingers crossed and good wishes coming!!

To everyone here, thank you SO MUCH for all the support. You made this last leg of the waiting game infinitely easier. 

-Chris 

Hey- i'm home on spring break and unfortunately all mail regarding graduate school is going to be sent to my school address so I haven't been able to access any of my recent mail but I did receive a letter regarding CLAWS for St. Xavier and I was just wondering if anyone knows if that reveals anything about our status? Like does that mean I was at least wait listed? Or does everyone receive that email who applied? Thanks!

Congrats on making your decision CO (soon to be) SLP! It sounds like a great program. :)

Thanks for wishing us luck!! I'm still waiting for more schools to get back to me...I hope this will be over soon.

Best of luck to you as well!

Hey Everyone!

Congrats to everyone whose gotten descisions so far and good luck to those still waiting like me! Its so frustrating waiting to hear from schools lol.

Applied to: Radford University, Mercy College, Montclair, SUNY New Paltz, Towson

Accepted:

Interviews: Mercy

Wait-listed: Radford University

Rejection:Towson
Decision:

For those who are waiting to hear from Montclair University, I just called them to see when we would get a response...... they said mid april that feels so far away! I don't know how much longer I can hold on haha

For those who are waiting to hear from Montclair University, I just called them to see when we would get a response...... they said mid april that feels so far away! I don't know how much longer I can hold on haha
Mid April?! That is when the national deadline is! I am sorry they are stringing you along for so long.

Oh, good old Montclair State. I'm waiting too!