If I cancel my interview, will I still be reimbursed for airfare?

grazzle

I'm about to go visit my top choice school. I'm 90% sure I will go here. The problem is that I have an interview scheduled for my second choice school in a couple weeks. I would rather not attend this interview. I'm not very good at faking enthusiasm and I'm worried that I would just appear unenthusiastic and tired and make the situation worse than if I just cancelled.

The problem is that I already bought my plane ticket, with the understanding that I would be reimbursed. It was a lot of money for me. Can I count on getting my money back if I politely cancel the interview? Is it possible to politely cancel the interview? I feel bad, like the money from the plane ticket came out of my POI's pocket-- but of course it didn't. He's a very nice person and we got along OK, I just don't want to waste his time and my time with an interview that is probably going nowhere.

...Probably not. I think the main criteria for reimbursement is that you do attend the interview, politeness doesn't really come into it. Cancelling the interview itself would be straightforward - just say you've decided to accept the offer from another institution. 

I'd just suck it up and attend the interview. At the very least it will give you a practice at faking enthusiasm - a useful skill in grad school...

I wouldn't count on it. To get reimbursed I always had to submit proof of expenses, including original ticket stubs and receipts. That aside, it's entirely unclear to me why you would expect a school to cover the cost of your canceled flight and decision to attend another school.

I would be embarrassed to attempt this. You should go to the interview, if only to network. You will probably encounter this professor or his graduate students at conferences and you will have already cleared the hurdle of introductions. Get used to traveling and meeting new people - it's  part of your new job description.

Go on the interview and make it a positive experience.  Things can turn out very differently from how we expect them to, and that 90%-sure school might waitlist you or even decide not to accept you.   If you don't go to the second appointment with a positive attitude, you may miss out on a good thing.  You might want to keep all your options open until you know (100% certain, in writing, etc) that you are accepted at your top school and can attend.  Good luck to you!

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input. It feels dishonest to me to go to an interview that I'm unsure about. I feel guilty that I might even have to fake enthusiasm. But my intuition here seems to be different than everyone else's.

I wasn't sure about the plane ticket, that's why I asked here before asking anyone else. I thought of it as sort of a business expense. I mostly asked because the cost of this ticket has made my credit card statement hard to look at.

I am sort of in a similar situation.  Have an offer from my top choice already, but still been invited to other interviews.  I've decided to keep an open mind for now and just attend the interviews (especially if they are reimbursed) and once I've finished all the visits, then I can be at peace and make my final decision.  

If this is your second choice school, then I imagine you were interested in attending to have applied in the first place. By visiting, you are at least confirming that you'll make the right decision when eventually choosing a school, as well as making connections that may help you in the future as a grad student. I would certainly make the visit. As far as showing enthusiasm goes, just remember what it was about the program that caused you to apply in the first place, and try to express your enthusiasm about that aspect.

Edited by dat_nerd

just enjoy that for a short amount of time you are the star that universities try to court. you can visit the city see the university talk to some profs and some students, enjoy the parties. Don't be embarrassed. Even though they want you there they will be ok even if you decide to go to another university.There are a number of people every year who choose another university for a variety of reasons after they visit. That is what visits are for. I think it's a bigger impoliteness if you decide to not even consider them.

I'd say go for it, especially since your visit will be reimbursed! Even if you are less than enthusiastic about the interview, you can at least network with others in the field and scope out the campus/area.  Maybe you'll end up collaborating with some of these people for future research, or maybe you'll eventually get a post-doc offer from the university.

You may find out something about the school you wouldn't have known otherwise ... I think it's worth it to take the interview and find out what you can't find out online.  Meeting potential prof's in person can be a very valuable experience that may just help you make the decision for school #1 or #2.  You don't have to "fake" the enthusiasm -- try to remember why you were so excited to apply there to begin with.  Maybe you'll find what you CAN be enthusiastic about.  At a minimum, be open to learning about them and be polite.  I would not ask for reimbursement of air fare when you don't show up for the interview.  

I am sort of in a similar situation.  Have an offer from my top choice already, but still been invited to other interviews.  I've decided to keep an open mind for now and just attend the interviews (especially if they are reimbursed) and once I've finished all the visits, then I can be at peace and make my final decision.  

Same with me!

I'm in agreement with everyone else. Showing respect and moderate interest at the interviews should definitely not be that difficult. If you haven't already, then surely you'll encounter other situations in the future in which you've got to show enthusiasm for something that you don't find that exciting.