Why waiting is torture!

SunnyComposer

I was somehow relieved when I received my first two rejections from Yale and Princeton this year.  I've been applying to PhD/DMA programs for a year and a half, and just want to finally get some answers.  I've applied to 9 in total, besides those already mentioned: Columbia, NYU, CUNY, Stony Brook, UT, UNT and UCD.  I have interviews scheduled with CUNY and UT, and just completed my first doctoral interview via skype a few days ago with UNT.  This all seems like good news so far, but I'm going crazy!  The minutes are ticking by, and I want to know what I'm doing with the next few years of my life.  Any advice in how to deal with this pressure?  Good luck all those out there.

Greetings fellow composer. There is a big thread underneath the forum Waiting it Out titled "anyone else losing their damn mind?" you can find a lot of support there. my only advice is to read posts on this site, it helps to see what everyone else is going through, you're not alone!! I got 2 rejects a few weeks ago, hopefully we hear better news soon:)

Hello! nice to have you join us! I've been thinking about starting a new research project to pass the time. Maybe you could start a new composition? I know the wait is hard. I might hear from a school in the next two weeks but, I do not expect to hear from most until very late Feb. and early March. We definitely will not hear from Columbia until March it seems. Of course that does not stop me from checking all the time!

Yes, CP3, I will admit, seeing that others are going through the same makes me feel not so alone in this process -- though, we are each going through a very individual journey of rejection and, hopefully, acceptance.

Good call, musicmage09 & Karajan, I've been composing like mad to keep my mind off of it.  I didn't know that about Columbia... where did you hear about their March notifications?  

I'm hoping to hear from Stony Brook shortly, I believe they go out mid-February -- anyone happen to know?

Thanks all.

Yes, CP3, I will admit, seeing that others are going through the same makes me feel not so alone in this process -- though, we are each going through a very individual journey of rejection and, hopefully, acceptance.   Good call, musicmage09 & Karajan, I've been composing like mad to keep my mind off of it.  I didn't know that about Columbia... where did you hear about their March notifications?     I'm hoping to hear from Stony Brook shortly, I believe they go out mid-February -- anyone happen to know?   Thanks all.
Spoke to someone at Columbia. Department decisions have been made, but now need to be approved through the graduate department which will be holding its meeting later this month.

Yes, CP3, I will admit, seeing that others are going through the same makes me feel not so alone in this process -- though, we are each going through a very individual journey of rejection and, hopefully, acceptance.

Good call, musicmage09 & Karajan, I've been composing like mad to keep my mind off of it.  I didn't know that about Columbia... where did you hear about their March notifications?  

I'm hoping to hear from Stony Brook shortly, I believe they go out mid-February -- anyone happen to know?

Thanks all.

Database shows that Stony Brook doesn't notify until mid-late March, but maybe that has changed. I hope you are right about mid-Feb., I applied there too. 

I totally agree!!!!!

I just apply one- nyu's composition(MM-FMS), if  get rejection, I will be forced to continue study accounting in Australia.

It's terrible, and I dont know how to express my feeling :(

Actually, I really admire your guy's parents support your dreams.  Do not be upset, if get rejection, you all can have the second chance, but I just have one.

By the way, do you guys know any others applying for the same program as me?  It's strange, this year I cant find anyone, I already search many other forums, such as college confiential. 

wish you all good luck!!!

I knew someone who got that degree a couple years back.  If you're having trouble finding people who are applying, that might mean there's less competition.  I'm not sure.  NYU, in general, has a better acceptance rate than some of the other big schools.  I got in there for my Masters but decided not to go because of the price tag.  They don't give much in the way of scholarships.  

I wish you luck as well!

I knew someone who got that degree a couple years back.  If you're having trouble finding people who are applying, that might mean there's less competition.  I'm not sure.  NYU, in general, has a better acceptance rate than some of the other big schools.  I got in there for my Masters but decided not to go because of the price tag.  They don't give much in the way of scholarships.  

I wish you luck as well!

Yeah, my professor suggested NYU because of it's acceptance rate, but thats the problem. They let more people in but don't offer good funding. Basically, if a school has a higher acceptance rate, it simply means that they won't pay for anything.

Plus, I couldn't imagine trying to make a living in a place like NYC while earning a degree, no thanks!! How could anyone afford the rent, etc

Finally... I got an acceptance letter from Stony Brook yesterday!  On top of that, I've now interviewed for CUNY, UNT and UT.  Still waiting on NYU, Columbia and UC Davis.  It is gratifying and surreal to be actually accepted after all this time.  What do I do now!?  Still have to wait to see how it all pans out.  Not sure how to rank all of these schools (if I were to get into more than one that is)...

Got an email from Eastman, and I felt a jolt of anxious excitement:

"We enjoyed meeting you at your recent Eastman School of Music audition day.  Please let us know about your experience by completing the following short survey:"

@#$%@#%#@%#$%@#$%!

Edited by Broom Guys

Ah yes, those follow up emails can be a tease.  When are you supposed to hear officially?  I'm still waiting on UNT, UT, Columbia and UC Davis...

"We enjoyed meeting you at your recent Eastman School of Music audition day.  Please let us know about your experience by completing the following short survey:"

@#$%@#%#@%#$%@#$%!

@#$%@#%#@%#$%@#$%!

Oh God... those ARE the worst! I hated getting them for CMU and USC.  Unless the first line says "congratulations," I am assuming a rejection.

Still waiting on Cornell University and Ithaca College. Maybe this will cheer up those who are in the same boat...

I recently watched The Gift. It was an alright movie; good acting and pace, just a little too predictable.

But something amazing happens in the movie... about 1 hour and 40 minutes into it, as Giovanni Ribisi stands heroically over a victimized Kate Blanchett, you hear the Back to the Future theme. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe I'm partial towards the epic, but I was like, "YESSSS!"

In short, I learned that Christopher Young subtly admires Alan Silverstri.

Also, the two scenes are strikingly similar (music is included).

Back to the Future: 

The Gift: 
Edited by ComposerX

@SunnyComposer: I interviewed at Eastman more than a month ago now, and still no word.  When I went through this same process two years ago, it wasn't until the very end of March that they finally told me I was waitlisted; here's hoping that doesn't happen this time...  Also waiting for word from Yale; apparently someone got a text message acceptance there already?  I would guess they've probably contacted their top candidates, but I suppose you never really know.  In any case, I expect to hear something pretty soon.

The silver lining is that I'm already in at UBC, FSU, and Indiana, which takes at least a bit of the tension off of this wait.  In any case, good luck to you all!