How long are statistics waitlists usually?

tcbh

Judging from the results page, Michigan and Penn have sent out rejections.  I haven't heard from them yet, so I'm guessing I'm on a waitlist.  How many others are typically on such waitlists? How many typically are let in?

At my institution, the waitlist is of length slightly less than N/2, where N is the total number of first-round offers. We generally end up admitting about 20-30% of waitlisted students to the program, though the denominator is a bit fuzzy since some waitlisted students will take offers elsewhere before we have the chance to make them an admissions offer.

Edited by cyberwulf

I haven't hear anything from Duke, Michigan or Wharton but I've seen a lot of rejections go out recently. I'm hoping I'm on the wait lists for these. Though that would put me on a wait list for four schools which is a little frustrating. 

for Duke, I wouldn't hold my breath since they've apparently invited ~40 people to visit them already. I doubt the watlist would go beyond those who were invited (i.e. out of 40 people, they would probably accept ~15, waitlist ~5, reject 20).

FYI, I haven't heard anything but definitely not optimistic regarding my chances.

Edited by DMX

I was talking with my adviser and at UNC the stats department doesn't reject anyone until very late in the game (at least according to him). Effectively they wait-list everyone who isn't receiving an offer to some extent.

I was talking with my adviser and at UNC the stats department doesn't reject anyone until very late in the game (at least according to him). Effectively they wait-list everyone who isn't receiving an offer to some extent.

JZappa, do you know if the same holds true for the Biostat department? I've seen quite a few admission postings in the results forum, but I'm yet to receive any notification... 

JZappa, do you know if the same holds true for the Biostat department? I've seen quite a few admission postings in the results forum, but I'm yet to receive any notification... 

I'm not sure if UNC is sending out more acceptances.  They've already invited at least some admitted students to visit campus next week.

I'm not sure if UNC is sending out more acceptances.  They've already invited at least some admitted students to visit campus next week.

I've seen a few acceptances reported in late February and March in years past. I'm hoping I'm on some unofficial wait list...

Same here. I'm scratching my head because I've gottten responses from Washington (biostats) and Wisconsin (stats), both with full funding, but not a peep from UNC. I thought the concordance of admissions from these places would be pretty high...

On 2/12/2013 at 10:29 AM, Noco7 said:

I've seen a few acceptances reported in late February and March in years past. I'm hoping I'm on some unofficial wait list...

At my institution, the waitlist is of length slightly less than N/2, where N is the total number of first-round offers. We generally end up admitting about 20-30% of waitlisted students to the program, though the denominator is a bit fuzzy since some waitlisted students will take offers elsewhere before we have the chance to make them an admissions offer.

cyberwulf, at most institutions, are offers/rejections/waitlists/implied waitlists made on a rolling basis (i.e. they may review a batch of applications one week, then another week etc.), or do they typically do it "one round at a time"?

quite a few schools I've applied to have sent out offers/rejections/waitlists already (at least according to results survey), but I've yet to hear anything.

Edited by DMX

cyberwulf, I did not get clearly what you mean by "denominator". Suppose there are 10 on the waitlist and 7 of them took offers elsewhere. Then do you mean your department accepts the rest 3 on the waitlist?

cyberwulf, I did not get clearly what you mean by "denominator". Suppose there are 10 on the waitlist and 7 of them took offers elsewhere. Then do you mean your department accepts the rest 3 on the waitlist?

That's the basic idea, though it would be uncommon for such a high proportion on our waitlist to accept offers elsewhere before hearing a final decision from us.

Edited by cyberwulf

cyberwulf, at most institutions, are offers/rejections/waitlists/implied waitlists made on a rolling basis (i.e. they may review a batch of applications one week, then another week etc.), or do they typically do it "one round at a time"?

quite a few schools I've applied to have sent out offers/rejections/waitlists already (at least according to results survey), but I've yet to hear anything.

The degree of 'rollingness' depends on the institution. Some make all the decisions in 1-2 meetings in a two-week window, others may spread the process out over 3-5 meetings in three months.