Fulbright-Hays DDRA 2013-2014

cm125

• 4 weeks later...

DOE sent this out today:

We still await final decisions on the FY 2013 budget. At this point, the Department has adopted a policy to hold the continuations harmless with regard to any reductions caused by the sequester.  This means that, even if we don’t have enough to fully fund OPE/IFLE continuations, we must use all the money we have to fund them as fully as possible.  For OPE/ IFLE, holding the continuations harmless results in OPE/IFLE not being able to conduct any new competitions for Title VI programs (i.e., at this point, we will not be able to run the UISFL [undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language] competition).  The Fulbright-Hays programs -- Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad and Group Projects Abroad-short term -- will compete in FY 2013.

So it is safe from sequestration for this year at least.

OK, I'm a little confused.

If you do a FH DDRA 2013-3014 search, you'll find people already receiving awards.

Is this just deferrals, or perhaps people who started their awards later in the award period?

Or did I miss something?

OK, I'm a little confused.

If you do a FH DDRA 2013-3014 search, you'll find people already receiving awards.

Is this just deferrals, or perhaps people who started their awards later in the award period?

Or did I miss something?

The most recent competition was held last year in May-June. Those awardees are required, at the absolute latest, to begin their projects by the end of this month, March 2013. They then have to complete their research within 12 months (by the end of March 2014). So, even though they were technically the 2012-1013 awards, because the DOE issued it so late, the award period goes into 2014.

Edited by cm125

• 2 weeks later...

Well, while waiting for the announcement, I do have a FH question. I've looked at the info on the DOE website and still am not sure.

Can one include language study as a part of the proposed project? For example, a Summer intensive program to brush up on language before conducting research?

Thanks.

It's not supposed to be used for language study. Perhaps if it is an obscure language that could only be learned in the location where you are conducting research, but otherwise no. If you can get alternate funding to do that though, then it would help to mention it in the application.

Well, while waiting for the announcement, I do have a FH question. I've looked at the info on the DOE website and still am not sure.

Can one include language study as a part of the proposed project? For example, a Summer intensive program to brush up on language before conducting research?

Thanks.

American Councils offers a combined language and research program. But, as the above poster said, the Hays cannot be used for language study. 

• 4 weeks later...

I sent an email to DDRA and they told me the competition should be opening tomorrow, May 2nd.  Good luck to all!

I caught that this morning as well.  I will note that so far you can't access the application through the G5 website; it has not appeared yet.  Also the Dept. of Ed website still has forms from last year.

The deadline is June 3rd so I guess it doesn't matter if it comes up today.  I am interested to see if the application has changed at all from last year.  If anyone has questions, I applied last year and was an Alternate, so unless there are major changes to the process this year, I would be happy to share what I remember.

Does anyone know where I can find information regarding the (admittedly unlikely) possibility of accepting the Hays concurrently with another fellowship? There must be some regulations somewhere about whether or not this is allowed.  

Does anyone know where I can find information regarding the (admittedly unlikely) possibility of accepting the Hays concurrently with another fellowship? There must be some regulations somewhere about whether or not this is allowed.  

When you go to the application site on G5, there are a number of links on the right side of the screen.  The most informative is 'Student Instructions and FAQs.'

This is the relevant section I found with a quick search but there may be others:

"Note: Students may not accept certain grants (IIE, Boren, IREX, Japan Foundation) in the same fiscal year that they receive a US/ED Fulbright-Hays grant. If a student accepts both a US/ED Fulbright-Hays grant and another grant, it may be necessary for the student to choose which grant to accept, or to negotiate a cost-sharing arrangement, so that funding is not duplicated. Student applicants who have received support for more than 6 months under the DDRA Program are not eligible to re-apply."

Edited by hawa

I have a question about the award period, maybe you guys know the answer.

On the announcement, it says:

Project Period: The institutional project period is 18 months, beginning October 1, 2013. Students may request funding for a period of no less than 6 months and no more than 12 months.

Do you know if this means the project has to start within 18 months of Oct. 1, or has to be completed within 18 months of Oct. 1?

Thanks!!

I have a question about the award period, maybe you guys know the answer.

On the announcement, it says:

Project Period: The institutional project period is 18 months, beginning October 1, 2013. Students may request funding for a period of no less than 6 months and no more than 12 months.

Do you know if this means the project has to start within 18 months of Oct. 1, or has to be completed within 18 months of Oct. 1?

Thanks!!

It has to be completed in that time.  If you read the actual application materials you can find more information.

• 4 weeks later...

Urgent question...

Q1.

With the deadline TOMORROW, I'm sure everyone has completed the application. Perhaps someone can calm my nerves about the wording of the instructions that state PDFs that are uploaded/submitted must be "READ-ONLY."

Aren't PDFs read-only? I thought they may have wanted an extra layer of non-editing... The only possibility to "secure" the PDF and make it unmarkable was to add a password for mark-ups. This was NOT accepted when I tried to upload it. 

Is there a "read-only" function that is not the normal PDF default?

Q2. 

Did anyone receive advice from their Fulbright rep regarding the degree of detail in the BUDGET? 

Thank you for any last-minute response & best of luck to all. 

• 1 month later...

I think that last year people were notified early in September (7th or so?).

You'll hear from the responsible person at your school, not directly from FH, so it varies.