What to buy for grad school - another bored and waiting thread

Have you thought about what to buy for grad school? I have been using my phone to do recordings but I thought I would upgrade to a voice recorder. I was thinking of this one on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Flash-Recorder-ICD-PX312/dp/B004M8SSZK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361210156&sr=8-1&keywords=voice+recorder as the quality of the recordings is supposedly phenomenal.

I am also thinking about getting a keyboard case for my iPad. I thought it would be lighter to carry around and would be perfect to take notes on. Not to mention the battery life. Seems like most classes in SLP are offered 2 or 3 days per week; meaning, long days.

What else would make our lives easier?

Any recommendations on messenger bags? Would like to look professional, but still be able to carry books and an iPad/laptop around.

We have a bluetooth keyboard case for our iPad and we LOVE it.  Highly recommended.  Typing on the iPad screen is a bit frustrating, and this is easier (fewer typing errors, as well). I ordered it on amazon.  Also look for a iPad stylus pen (don't pay more than $6) - we bought two for $5.99 and they come in handy for some apps and those times when you want to eat while using your iPad... :-)

I'm also in need of a new messenger bag / laptop bag... my old one from undergrad years ago (2002!) is not big enough for my new laptop.  :-(  Planning to shop on Amazon.  If you use a Discover card, you actually can access your cash back to purchase directly.  

I still have an old fashioned Sony mini-tape recorder with an external microphone.  I figure I'll use that until I hear differently... might eventually switch to a computer-recorded device, maybe even a flip camera if I find the right price on something like that.  As long as it has a jack for an external microphone (1/8" jack), I'm hoping it will be discrete enough to use for whatever purpose we will need! 

When I find the right messenger bag I'll post a link to what I end up buying! :-) 

My list includes some new comfortable, dressy flats and blouses. Everywhere I've applied is colder than Central Texas, so I need some warmer clothes in general. I also want to get a new pair of glasses.

I'd like to get some work done on my car before I go from having a salary to being on a grad student budget. Alternatively, if I end up going to Salt Lake City or Boulder, I might want to sell my car and buy a 4WD vehicle.

- Clinic appropriate clothing: This probably varies from place to place but my normal attire was ballerina flats (dressy yet comfortable), button-up/nice sweater, and skirt/dress pants. Just make sure you feel comfortable in them, especially if you are working with kids. 
- Wrist watch with a second hand: It probably is up to you if you want digital or analog.Analog looks more professional, but a digital would have the added advantage of a stopwatch. 
- Stopwatch: useful in certain situations (especially assessments)
- Clipboard: Maybe even one with storage
- Some way to keep papers organized: I'd use a binder with plastic folders.  Just to keep things organized!
- Water bottle: Keep one with you at all times!

Most programs provide copy machines, laminators, games, paper, craft materials, snacks. You might need a 3-hole-puncher. Do keep an eye out for motivational things for clients. Pay attention to what they're interested in and buy them it.

Good luck!
Edited by Umami

Personally, I recommend against purchasing a keyboard case.  While true, it is difficult to type on the iPad, the tiny keyboards that come with these cases are equally as frustrating to use.  I would suggest you get a nice stylus (ThinkGeek has a nice one I can link if you're interested) and purchasing a quality note taking app like Notability.  This app is extremely easy to use, and uploads copies of your apps to the cloud service of your choice (e.g., Dropbox).

Sorry to double post, but for messenger bags, this guy is my dream (and a bit pricey):

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase?sc=8&category=30140

That bag is awesome. I am going to take pictures of it and take it to a local tannery to reproduce the look. It's one of the nicest messenger bags that I have seen. Way out of my budget, but nice nonetheless.

Travel, let me know what they say.  If they can do a reproduction for a reasonable price, I might be willing to pay them as well!

I'm in Peru, but I'll let you know after I find out in case you are still interested.

• 3 weeks later...

My list includes some new comfortable, dressy flats and blouses. Everywhere I've applied is colder than Central Texas, so I need some warmer clothes in general. I also want to get a new pair of glasses.

I'd like to get some work done on my car before I go from having a salary to being on a grad student budget. Alternatively, if I end up going to Salt Lake City or Boulder, I might want to sell my car and buy a 4WD vehicle.

Sorry for the late reply. I can tell you that after living in Boulder for three years, a 4WD is almost entirely unnecessary, and an AWD is just about as much so. Even if you head up into the mountains often, unless you are going way off the beaten path it's more status than anything. Driving a lot for clinic hours on a grad school budget in a new big expensive to maintain/operate vehicle is not optimal. I made this mistake when I moved here from Houston on a corporate job three years ago, and as I've had to drive a lot for my caseload (not SLP, human services)I'm actually thinking of trading mine in for something more economical. But getting maintenance done is good. New tires will go a long way! 

Hope this helps.

- Clinic appropriate clothing: This probably varies from place to place but my normal attire was ballerina flats (dressy yet comfortable), button-up/nice sweater, and skirt/dress pants. Just make sure you feel comfortable in them, especially if you are working with kids. 
- Wrist watch with a second hand: It probably is up to you if you want digital or analog.Analog looks more professional, but a digital would have the added advantage of a stopwatch. 
- Stopwatch: useful in certain situations (especially assessments)
- Clipboard: Maybe even one with storage
- Some way to keep papers organized: I'd use a binder with plastic folders.  Just to keep things organized!
- Water bottle: Keep one with you at all times!

Most programs provide copy machines, laminators, games, paper, craft materials, snacks. You might need a 3-hole-puncher. Do keep an eye out for motivational things for clients. Pay attention to what they're interested in and buy them it.

Good luck!

Wow.. thank you for this (again, late reply, just discovering this thread)! Lots of great ideas here!!

Sorry for the late reply. I can tell you that after living in Boulder for three years, a 4WD is almost entirely unnecessary, and an AWD is just about as much so. Even if you head up into the mountains often, unless you are going way off the beaten path it's more status than anything. Driving a lot for clinic hours on a grad school budget in a new big expensive to maintain/operate vehicle is not optimal. I made this mistake when I moved here from Houston on a corporate job three years ago, and as I've had to drive a lot for my caseload (not SLP, human services)I'm actually thinking of trading mine in for something more economical. But getting maintenance done is good. New tires will go a long way! 

Hope this helps.

Thank you! This is good to know. I have never driven in snow or ice before and I'm nervous about it.

Hopefully my poor old car will last a couple more years.  :-)

Sorry to double post, but for messenger bags, this guy is my dream (and a bit pricey):

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/Classic-Briefcase?sc=8&category=30140

Definitely on my list of things to get when I become a professional.. I don't think that's feasible on a grad school budget (especially since I'll be leaving my full-time job soon), but it will definitely be worth the wait!

Thank you! This is good to know. I have never driven in snow or ice before and I'm nervous about it.

Hopefully my poor old car will last a couple more years.  :-)

No worries, and you won't be alone... Colorado has a lot of transplants. Winter in Boulder is NOT like winter on the east coast. It may snow 1 foot, but with the sun and warm periods (even in Dec/Jan/Feb), often most of it will be gone in days and you never have that permanent bed of ice/slush. They also clear the roads well. A set of snow tires might be a good investment, but I would feel that out once you get here (if you decide on Boulder, looks like you have a lot of great options).  I almost feel I could do a post on "things you might should know before moving to Boulder" :)... but I think a visit to the school would probably cover anything I could say.

Every time this conversation came up the grad students at my undergrad school joked about how a rolling crate cart is essential for any SLP grad student..it almost sounds like a joke but really they allllll use them!

I think I'd feel silly wheeling it around, but I can see how on days when you have to bring things to set up for clinic sessions it could be useful, so I'll keep this on my list although I'd way rather invest in a cute handbag or something!!

Okay cute story related to this thread:  I got my list of things to prep for this Fall from ECU, and I have to acquire a penlight, stethoscope, and stopwatch.  I called my mom to chat and mentioned it in our conversation, and she was like, "Oh, a stethoscope AND a stopwatch?  I have one that I've been saving for you when you finally realized you needed to go into a health profession!"   (aw, thanks mom!!) 

So funny looking back on this from the other side... being that my music ed career will be put on the back burner once school gets out in June. Of course I'm going to keep performing, so that part of my "old" career will still be there!  I have no clue how old or in what condition her stethoscope is, so I may end up buying a new one anyway if it just isn't up to par, but seriously, I love my mom for this.  :-) 

edited because I type a lot faster than my computer, and sometimes typos appear when they weren't intended. :-) 

Edited by kcald716

Every time this conversation came up the grad students at my undergrad school joked about how a rolling crate cart is essential for any SLP grad student..it almost sounds like a joke but really they allllll use them!

I think I'd feel silly wheeling it around, but I can see how on days when you have to bring things to set up for clinic sessions it could be useful, so I'll keep this on my list although I'd way rather invest in a cute handbag or something!!

This is true! A SLP I observed with at a children's clinic had a huge tote and a rolling crate, because she liked to use her own toys sometimes, and she would bring them from home. Also, some children preferred certain types of toys over others, so she would have a bunch of toys in her car and haul them in for every client based on what toys they learned with...

So, if you're going to be working with little children who are picky with toys..I think you'll need a shopping cart or rolling crate. So many toys! But so fun! :) Also, welcome to the forums csdtoslp! :)

Okay cute story related to this thread:  I got my list of things to prep for this Fall from ECU, and I have to acquire a penlight, stethoscope, and stopwatch.  I called my mom to chat and mentioned it in our conversation, and she was like, "Oh, a stethoscope AND a stopwatch?  I have one that I've been saving for you when you finally realized you needed to go into a health profession!"   (aw, thanks mom!!) 

So funny looking back on this from the other side... being that my music ed career will be put on the back burner once school gets out in June. Of course I'm going to keep performing, so that part of my "old" career will still be there!  I have no clue how old or in what condition her stethoscope is, so I may end up buying a new one anyway if it just isn't up to par, but seriously, I love my mom for this.  :-) 

edited because I type a lot faster than my computer, and sometimes typos appear when they weren't intended. :-) 

I love this story!  My mom is still in awe of me going into a somewhat "medical" field.  I'm sure she'll be amazed if I end up needing a stethoscope.

I also like that the school sent you a list of items to purchase! I loved shopping for items on the dorm list back when I was about to start college.