Colorado Boulder Applicants

Hi all!

Has anyone else noticed that CUs information is not on the ASHA website as far as class size, number of people who apply, number of acceptance letters given? Does anyone know the answer to those or where I can find that information?

Sometimes I feel like I am going to go crazy waiting!

I know! We have at least another month of waiting if the results from past years are any indication.

Anyway, I don't know if there are any official stats available online right now, but I do know that Boulder received something like 500 applications last year, possibly the year before as well. It's extremely competitive, which makes the wait all the more fun, right?

I went to CU Boulder's openhouse in September. Dr. Ramsberger stated that they had 514 applications last year, and they accepted 30 people into the program. 

Now, an interesting little tidbit that most people probably don't know is that CU-Boulder offers a three-year program for students who have no prerequisites. They spend the first year taking undergrad classes, and their second year they begin graduate classes along with the other people accepted into the master's program. Here's the bad news, CU accepted 12 three-year students last year, leaving only 22 possible seats for people applying to the Master's program for Fall 2013 (there's a slight discretion in the numbers because they said they sometimes have a class of up to 34 students). They did not give any information on how many people decline, are waitlisted, etc.

They said the average GPA of applications they receive is a 3.6 They gave the average GRE percentile scores of the students accepted into their program.

Quantitative: 63.4 percentile

Verbal: 81.25 percentile

Writing: 67.9 percentile

The take-home message of the session seem to be: "Don't count on getting in here. No one is a shoe-in."

Sorry to be a downer, guys, but you asked for the hard facts. That said, best of luck to you.

I went to the open house in November. They strongly advised everyone to apply elsewhere because getting accepted is extremely difficult.  

A former CU student (2 years ago) told me that you are more likely to be accepted if you want to work in the schools.. but I'm not sure if that is still true.  

It seems as if they tend to diversify each cohort.. ie. applicants from diverse educational backgrounds and from all over the country.  No priority is given to CO residents.   I'm hoping that works in my favor... I have a business degree and worked in finance for several years before getting a post bacc in speech.   Boulder is my top choice....  it would be a dream come true to get in!   

Edited by lissap08

Thanks for the in-depth info, ESLtoSLP. I certainly don't think anyone here considers herself/himself a shoo-in! Haha.

I'm applying as an out-of-field student from the East Coast. I scored 93rd percentile on verbal and 92nd percentile on AW and have a 3.9+ GPA, but I'm not optimistic about numbers alone helping me much. I just hope that my stats mean my application will be fully considered.

Edited by midnight streetlight

I'm applying as an out-of-field student from the East Coast. I scored 93rd percentile on verbal and 92nd percentile on AW and have a 3.9+ GPA, but I'm not optimistic about numbers alone helping me much. I just hope that my stats mean my application will be fully considered.

I feel exactly the same way about GRE/ GPA stuff. I just hope that my numerical stats put my application in the stack that gets read thoroughly. I guess that's about all we can do; now we're at the mercy of the admissions committee.

I've been amused reading your posts because I think we have very similar stats and background. I got the same verbal score as you on the GRE, English major out-of-field applicant, experience with ESL, and of course both applying to CU Boulder. 

I feel exactly the same way about GRE/ GPA stuff. I just hope that my numerical stats put my application in the stack that gets read thoroughly. I guess that's about all we can do; now we're at the mercy of the admissions committee.

I've been amused reading your posts because I think we have very similar stats and background. I got the same verbal score as you on the GRE, English major out-of-field applicant, experience with ESL, and of course both applying to CU Boulder. 

Oh, that is funny. I will say I'm worried I won't get accepted in part because my SOP focused on working with adults--well, that and the competition is fierce!

There are only 2 SLP Master's programs in Colorado-- the other one being University of Northern Colorado. The general consensus here in Colorado is that UNC is more child/education focused and CU-Boulder is more adult/medically focused. I'm very surprised to see that people on this forum think that CU is geared toward school SLPs. However, at CU's open house they made it emphatically clear that they don't focus on one area or another in their classes or their applicant choices. Still, I feel like saying I wanted to work in schools may have hurt my chances.

There are only 2 SLP Master's programs in Colorado-- the other one being University of Northern Colorado. The general consensus here in Colorado is that UNC is more child/education focused and CU-Boulder is more adult/medically focused. I'm very surprised to see that people on this forum think that CU is geared toward school SLPs. However, at CU's open house they made it emphatically clear that they don't focus on one area or another in their classes or their applicant choices. Still, I feel like saying I wanted to work in schools may have hurt my chances.

Oh, interesting. I gathered what I could about the program based on information from their website and a bit of communication with the school; I didn't really see any specification either way, but I must've taken in what others here and on the LJ SLP group have said about Boulder's focus. You're incredibly informed about the program, so thank you for sharing what you've learned.

I feel like Boulder has some pretty amazing resources for children and adults, e.g., El Grupo de Familias, and surely they know that there is a need for SLPs for all age groups. So who knows? It's just a nerve-wracking process.

I hope we're both fortunate enough to get in.

• 3 weeks later...

This is agonizing! I only see four posts on the results page. I hope we aren't going to have to wait until Monday for more news. I fear that we may, since it's after the end of the workday in Colorado now.

This is agonizing! I only see four posts on the results page. I hope we aren't going to have to wait until Monday for more news. I fear that we may, since it's after the end of the workday in Colorado now.

I'm going to go with Monday (though business hours don't seem to matter much as my notification email from UVA was sent at 9 p.m.!).

I hope so. I just want to know one way or another! I do wish there were a way to enter time on the results board so we can tell if people are just getting the emails, or just now posting results.

I don't know when other people were emailed, but, if it helps, I received my email at 3:30 mountain time. It was addressed only to me, and the waitlist notification letter (also personalized with my last name in the document title) was attached. All that to say, they are personalized responses, so they take longer to send. 

The only crazy logic I can come up with is that they have to run acceptances by financial aid first, and the rejections... well no rush there. I'm fully anticipating a flat rejection, but there is that ever-lasting shred of hope that just makes me want to hear back to know for sure! I'm pretty much resigned to having to make it through the weekend. 

-Chris