American SIS results?

av260987

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STILL haven't heard from SIS!! What is going on!? I mean I already got into MALD so I shouldn't be freaking out, but I still would like a response from AU at some point. Am I the only one still waiting!?

STILL haven't heard from SIS!! What is going on!? I mean I already got into MALD so I shouldn't be freaking out, but I still would like a response from AU at some point. Am I the only one still waiting!?

Nope- I havnt heard anything either!

Today I got an email that said congratulations from SIS, and it had a link to the admitted students page, but no admissions letter. The email made it sound like I should already have gotten a letter earlier. I logged in to check, and on the site it said it was still under review. Confusing and annoying. U emailed to ask about it, but of course have to wait two days for the weekend. Anyone else got this?

Today I got an email that said congratulations from SIS, and it had a link to the admitted students page, but no admissions letter. The email made it sound like I should already have gotten a letter earlier. I logged in to check, and on the site it said it was still under review. Confusing and annoying. U emailed to ask about it, but of course have to wait two days for the weekend. Anyone else got this?

Log in to your online application... scroll to the bottom of the page and there should be a link to your acceptance letter.

I'm still waiting too.  I called yesterday (Friday) and the woman I spoke with said they send them out on a rolling basis and I could be getting something anytime in the next few weeks.  So I guess just keep your eyes peeled!  :)

Do any of you know how far behind AU is behind SAIS in career placement after graduation? I'm really contemplating between AU and SAIS because of the great money AU offered. I know the curriculum at SAIS is way more to my liking and I know AU isn't known to be as strong in international economics/trade (I got into their International Economic Relations program) as it is in peace and conflict resolution and perhaps international development. I know SAIS is quite universally ranked as better than AU but how much better is it? Is SAIS worth an extra ~65k in debt?

One of the primary career goals I have at this point is to work for the top multilateral institutions (and perhaps for the EU in the future) as a policy analyst and I'm wondering how going to AU instead of SAIS will impact my chances. It's the classic money vs. top program dilemma.

From my understanding, SAIS is the way to go for multilateral.  CHeck out the career stats, they hire about 15%-2-% of grads each year for mulitlaterals and many say that SAIS is a breeding ground for the world bank.  I am only speaking based on stuff ive read on these forums, but they all seem to point to SAIS

Thanks for your input dyavrom, that's what I was thinking as well.

Does anyone here know someone who's studying at SIS (and specifically International Economic Relations) or is anyone considering going to SIS? I'm really torn between not paying anything and going to SIS or going to SAIS and taking an extra 65k in debt. I've been trying to figure out how good the econ/quant component is at SIS and how the career services are at the school.

JFactor,

If you can, I would try to attend one of the classes in the International Economics field.  I attended a US Foreign Policy class at SIS before I submitted all my applications, and I found that the students were very honest and told me a lot of benefits and drawbacks of the program.  One thing to consider is that SAIS discourages students from interning/working, and all of American's courses are in the evening, so that you can get experience in the field.  I think that is a major advantage, especially if your education is fully paid for.  You can have the option of interning or being a fellow at some pretty cool organizations.  SIS is just a few metro stops away on the red line to organizations like the World Bank, if that's what you're interested in.  If I were in your position, I would have a very hard time turning down a fully funded master's degree program to take on major debt.  Contact the department and see if they can put you in touch with some current students, which I am sure they would be happy to do.

JFactor,

If you can, I would try to attend one of the classes in the International Economics field.  I attended a US Foreign Policy class at SIS before I submitted all my applications, and I found that the students were very honest and told me a lot of benefits and drawbacks of the program.  One thing to consider is that SAIS discourages students from interning/working, and all of American's courses are in the evening, so that you can get experience in the field.  I think that is a major advantage, especially if your education is fully paid for.  You can have the option of interning or being a fellow at some pretty cool organizations.  SIS is just a few metro stops away on the red line to organizations like the World Bank, if that's what you're interested in.  If I were in your position, I would have a very hard time turning down a fully funded master's degree program to take on major debt.  Contact the department and see if they can put you in touch with some current students, which I am sure they would be happy to do.

Thanks for your comment. I've been thinking of doing just that (contacting current students). If I get good feedback from them, SIS will definitely be more appealing to me. It's just hard for me to turn down SAIS that I am pretty confident is ahead of SIS in terms of academics, career placement, and the student body. And I think very highly of SIS, don't get me wrong.