American SIS results?

av260987

Thanks, really helpful. I noticed that I did have instructions with the email and I logged in to the AU portal to check my financial aid package but it says "Error: You have no financial aid activity on record." wondering if it's just the federal aid info available online or what. I'm international so don't know how that works. I guess I'll call them to figure it out..no end on anxiety for me..

I got the same today in the morning. Although I was admitted, I haven't found even a word on financial assistance...I got really stressed and disappointed. As far as I understood, the message "Error: You have no financial aid activity on record." means that those admitted will not get any aid at all. I emailed admissions office several hours ago and hopefully will get a clear answer on Monday. However, based on what others have posted here, information on financial aid package comes together with a letter of admission.

Edited by uniteforpeace

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those that didn't hear anything about funding, including me, that "welcome to sis" slide show link thing says in the financial aid section that if your acceptance letter didn't mention a scholarship or fellowship, you didn't get one. ) :

Sorry....bummer. I was really really hoping for something.

It seems unlikely that would offer NO funding at all..although if that is the case then it's really really disappointing! I'll keep you posted...

Edited by intlrlns

For those that didn't hear anything about funding, including me, that "welcome to sis" slide show link thing says in the financial aid section that if your acceptance letter didn't mention a scholarship or fellowship, you didn't get one. ) :

I feel the same way... *frustrated*

Me too. But I'll still call admissions once just to be sure. Which program did you apply for?

In my letter they directly told me about my scholarship and in that section there was also a sentence that said that "the number of students who apply for our merit-based awards is high, and less than ten percent are recommended by our committee". So my guess is that if there is nothing in your letter about funding in addition to the federal student aid paragraph, you didn't get any funding. But hopefully I'm wrong. I was really surprised that I got funding because I knew that AU is really stingy when it comes to money; they just don't have the resources for that.

Me too. But I'll still call admissions once just to be sure. Which program did you apply for?

International Peace and Conflict Resolution. What about you?

Let us know what the Fin Aid office says!

Anyone know, based on previous cycles, what not being in the first round of decisions portends, if anything? Losing my mind over here. 

I can't speak for the American U process, but it could be that certain programs post earlier than others... AU-SIS has many different Masters' programs administered differently with different selection committees... Which program did you apply for...

And it could also be the workload... Maybe they're releasing what they are able, while still preparing decision letters that will be posted when the work week resumes on Monday... 

Anyone know, based on previous cycles, what not being in the first round of decisions portends, if anything? Losing my mind over here. 

I'm waiting to know the same thing!! I know that people from a bunch of different programs have been admitted including development, economics, international politics....

International Peace and Conflict Resolution. What about you?

Let us know what the Fin Aid office says!

Comparative and Regional Studies.

I'll call the office today.

I'm waiting to know the same thing!! I know that people from a bunch of different programs have been admitted including development, economics, international politics....

Has anyone heard back today, who didnt hear Friday?!?!

Has anyone heard back today, who didnt hear Friday?!?!

I'm still waiting as well!! On Friday, they released decisions at like 5:30pm according to my friend who was accepted. Maybe they'll do the same today? I'm living abroad, so with the time change I have to stay up until 12:30am to see....

JFactor, unfortunately, you were right. I called admissions office today. No financial aid for me...

Sorry to hear that. I did my BA at AU and I know that they're agressively building new buildings and trying to enhance their image so all of their resources are really directed toward that, and the financial scholarships do not compare well with other MA programs. I guess AU alumni are also not as wealthy as let's say GW's. I'm really curious how Fletcher and certain other programs can afford to offer the amount of scholarships that they do.

I'm still waiting as well!! On Friday, they released decisions at like 5:30pm according to my friend who was accepted. Maybe they'll do the same today? I'm living abroad, so with the time change I have to stay up until 12:30am to see....

I called, they said theyre still releasing decisions... so we might hear in the next couple days

@SS1987 I got my accepted to the Int'l Dev program last Friday. Got a lot of funding, but had similar confusion about the FAFSA line that @1belle mentioned.

I also applied to Kogod to do a dual MA/MBA, but Kogod says they dont give decisions un April 15th, which is when I have to respond to my other offers...anyone else facing this dilemma??

Ok, so I emailed SIS admissions regarding funding and this is what they had to say:

"We have an extremely limited number of scholarship and assistantship awards to offer to our outstanding applicants, making the awarding process extremely competitive. All SIS scholarships and assistantship awards are outlined in the admissions decision letter, so if you did not receive an award with your acceptance, we were unfortunately unable to offer you one.

In terms of federal loans, if you are an eligible US citizen or permanent resident and have already submitted your FAFSA form, you should be able to review  (or will soon be able to review) your loan package through the my.american.edu portal."

So that means no funding for me :(

well if I have to take a loan out I'd rather go to SAIS. They told me to email my fin aid request to them but I havent heard back so SIS is def. not on my list of potentials right now. 

Accepted for Regional and Comparative Studies, funding says "Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan" for 10k...pretty sure that means no funding...

Edited by kingchupacabra

I didn't receive any funding from SIS or SAIS.  I was a little surprised not to get funding from SIS, but I did get $20k from Elliott, so I think that makes my decision pretty easy.  I will still be attending all the receptions for all the schools though, because I'm not one to pass up a free meal!  Anybody else going to those?

Heya I'll be attending the one at SIS. I applied for the IA/NRSD dual degree program, and it was my top choice so I'm pretty excited. I haven't really seen anything posted about that program or any other env program. But then again, I've only recently joined so haven't had the chance to really explore the forums all too much.