How do you decide the top university?

Ken Watanabe

I have a issue like this.

- UIC, #58, but a professor there is very good (ranked #2 in the field I am interested in)

- UIUC, #5, but the professor is ok. All of my POIs are not accepting students this year, so I try to contact other professor, whose research direction somewhat matches with mine (Is it a weird practice?).

At first, UIUC is my top choice, with the POI, but now the POI is not available... so I am very confused which university will should I choose? There's another factor that UIUC is very beautiful.

- UIC, #58, but a professor there is very good (ranked #2 in the field I am interested in)

How do you know how the professor is ranked individually? I'm not familiar with this.

You guys are right. I use this website just for relatively understanding the order. In fact, I know the renowned professor because he has done lots of good works, books, etc. I think that you guys know about the prestigious profs in your field.

Just leave that aside, my main concern still remains. Given that I know how "good" the professor is, any ideas of the choice between the two of them? Furthermore, how do you guys decide the top universities of your choice?

Edited by donganh89

As long as the professor is competent, in your situation, I would choose the school with the better overall program. After all, you will be taking classes from and interacting with many more people than just your PI. 

I only applied to four schools, because my program isn't very common, but I chose them based on overall strength of program, and then found a professor in the program whose research interests fit mine.

Edit: To clarify, "better overall program" isn't necessarily based on ranking - will the program help you meet your goals?

Edited by RubyBright

I understand you, I would go with a ranked professor who matches my interests in research, rather than a ranked university with a POI who does not match my interests and is not as well known as the first professor.

If you are very focused on an specific field of research, then compare universities not as a whole but asking how good they are in your specific field of research. Affiliations with other labs? Publications in 2012 between the two labs? Try to interview with both professor and see with whom you feel more comfortable.

Edited by noob49

I only applied to four schools, because my program isn't very common, but I chose them based on overall strength of program, and then found a professor in the program whose research interests fit mine.

This is what I did as well...  Ultimately you will carry the pedigree of the university you graduate from.  I would rather have the pedigree of a #5 university than a #58 university in my field, assuming that you can find a decent fit from a prof at the #5.  i.e. better IMHO to go to #5 with a decent fit with the POI than go to #58 with a great fit.  You will always have that #5 pedigree/network for the next 40 years of your career.  And your Post-doc will determine your ultimate research direction more than your dissertation will...  YMMV.

I was in a somewhat similar situation a couple of years ago and I chose the not-so-prestigious school. The POI was not as well known as you are. The thing is, many things could happen which you can't predict. You may have a falling out with the POI, he may go to another university, get sick or even pass away. At that point you will be stuck in the worse school and probably not focusing on what you intended to in the first place. I made a mistake two years ago and I'm paying for it. I sincerely hope that you choose UIUC.

I agree that in this case, the reputation divide is so huge that I think it should be a major consideration. The CS department at UIUC is big, impressive, and well-regarded.  There is a lot going on, both in CS and in the related fields, and engineering as a whole gets a lot of attention and resources on campus. The other University of Illinois campuses, including UIC, are often thought of as "lesser" campuses -- whether this is right in all fields is an open question, but it is certainly true in CS.  If I met a UIC student or graduate who had a CS degree, my first assumption would be that they had not been good enough to get into UIUC.  Again -- that might not be fair, but that's the kind of disparity we're dealing with between the reputation of the two schools/programs.  If you think you would be happy at UIUC, I'd strongly recommend it, even if you think the fit might be slightly better at UIC.