Canadian universities Poli Sci 2013 anyone?

Rubee

I received an offer from McGill on Feb. 4th.  I also recently received a rejection for UBC and am waiting to hear from Toronto.  Who are you waiting to hear from?  Best of luck! 

Yes, congrats! I did my MA at McGill. It's a great place (and Montreal a great city), and some interesting theorists there (though I'm not in theory). If it's your choice ultimately, you won't regret it.

Congrats on McGill! Montreal is amazing, truly. Definitely visit if you get the chance, though in March it might be a little dreary (okay, miserable). I'm also waiting on Toronto, though it looks like they have tended to notify in early March (or at least they did last year).

Best of luck!

I've heard phenomenal things about their theory program from all the profs I've worked with. Beyond that, though, I don't know much.

That's what I've heard as well - some theory folks up there doing some really great work.

I applied for MA programs and haven't heard a peep yet. Looking back to other years though, it seems like places like McGill didn't send anything until mid-March,so it could still be a bit of a wait. Doesn't stop me from checking my status daily though...  

I was rejected by UBC a week or so ago (PhD application). A shame, because I really liked the idea of attending that university and I thought I matched well with one of the Profs. On the other hand, I think the 300 word limit on the personal statement really held me back. I couldn't express my passion for the programme as fully as with applications to other places. Oh well. Good luck to other applicants!

Edited by DeMoomin

I was rejected by UBC a week or so ago (PhD application). A shame, because I really liked the idea of attending that university and I thought I matched well with one of the Profs. On the other hand, I think the 300 word limit on the personal statement really held me back. I couldn't express my passion for the programme as fully as with applications to other places. Oh well. Good luck to other applicants!

I completed agree with the sentiment here re: statement. I have no expectation of getting accepted at UBC because of the limited scope of their applications.

In Canada I only applied to UBC and U of T.  Just over a week ago I received an acceptance from UBC.  When I emailed U of T, I heard that the committee plans to meet on March 8th to make decisions on PhD applications.  Decisions should be sent out soon after that.

So when people say they have been accepted or rejected, how are they finding this out? Is there an accompanying change in the status of your application on the admission websites? Specifically, I am wondering about UBC and U of T. These are the only programs I applied to and have heard absolutely nothing from either.

In response to previous enquiries, a degree from U of T is the "most recognised" in Canada. Personally, I would rather go to UBC but feel like I probably have a better shot of getting into U of T.

So when people say they have been accepted or rejected, how are they finding this out? Is there an accompanying change in the status of your application on the admission websites? Specifically, I am wondering about UBC and U of T. These are the only programs I applied to and have heard absolutely nothing from either.

In response to previous enquiries, a degree from U of T is the "most recognised" in Canada. Personally, I would rather go to UBC but feel like I probably have a better shot of getting into U of T.

You should receive results by e-mail; as far as I can recall (from a few years ago), both UBC and U of T sent me notices that way. I don't even remember checking my application status after that.

I think the comment about U of T was meant to be less about the 'prestige' of the program and more about the actual dept environment and support for graduate students. I've also heard some negative things about this, though I don't doubt that it's still an excellent program. 

I got an offer for U of T

Congrats! I also got an offer, and am surprised at the quick turnaround required (reply by March 25th) given that they haven't offered definitive funding information and don't seem to have a visit weekend (given that I know so little about the university, I'd like to at least visit). Does anyone have any other information? I'm going to contact Prof. Bernstein, but their email was pretty lacking in detail...

Congrats! I also got an offer, and am surprised at the quick turnaround required (reply by March 25th) given that they haven't offered definitive funding information and don't seem to have a visit weekend (given that I know so little about the university, I'd like to at least visit). Does anyone have any other information? I'm going to contact Prof. Bernstein, but their email was pretty lacking in detail...

Congrats to you and Matt Dander!  I also received an offer.  Like you, I'm surprised by the narrow decision window.  I'm trying to plan a visit before the deadline.  Hopefully I can make it happen.

Waitlisted by UBC today.

I have already accepted UVic's offer -- that was my first choice from the beginning, although Queen's was tempting and their offer was generous. I am into theory, mostly Rawls and liberalism.

The 15K at U of T is the guaranteed minimum funding "and usually requires a TAship". They're unclear on how many TAships that means, but they also suggest that you can take on extra TA/RA work and make more than the guarantee. You are only required to be present at the university for one year though, so I don't really know how that works. Personally, I am hoping for SSHRC to pull through, but, like other universities, SSHRC comes out of your guaranteed funding at U of T. Tuition is covered automatically, which is not the case for every program.

I still haven't heard anything from UBC.

I see you're from Vancouver Trudeau, are you attending right now? Which school?