Campus Visit Day - Before Admission?

Enamored

So I have been invited to visit one university this week. The email said it is a campus visit day, and I accepted the invitation. But I am also waiting for decisions from this university. I have no idea whether or how this visit will affect my chances of admission/funding at this university.

Anyone else having or already gone through a similar situation? Any thoughts or suggestions on how to take this visit? 

Thanks a lot in advance. :)

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, it wouldn't hurt your chances of admission to visit but I sincerely doubt that they can or would hold a day visit against someone. That is- unless they make it into some sort of formal interview, but it sounds like just a visit to see the campus and sway your loyalty towards their school should they admit you. It's definitely a good chance to visit the campus if you haven't been!

Rice University ECE did this (I attended this past weekend). It was an all-expense paid invitation, so I had initially assumed that I was going to be admitted and they were just slow with the official processing. During my visit, the grad students said that about 70% of those invited to the weekend are admitted, and the graduate committee would use the weekend to gauge whether or not Rice would be a good fit for each student. We spent the day meeting with various professors in our field of interest in small groups of 3-5 students. The graduate student hosts said these meetings served as "interviews", but we were only asked what our interests were and were given opportunities to ask about the campus, research, etc.

If you're interested in the school, I recommend attending. What I gathered from my experience is that missing the weekend tells the school you aren't very serious about attending (unless you have a legitimate reason for missing it).

I had the opposite experience. I was invited to the visit day, then a week or two later officially admitted. The visit day was last weekend, and one of the first things they said to us was that we were all admitted, in case we hadn't been told yet.

I have heard this happening at other schools within aerospace engineering as well. I think it is a very good sign, and you should definitely go. If anything, it gives you a free trip to be wined and dined, and they are a lot of fun.

I was invited to an open house/alumni career panel at a program I do hope to be admitted to. However, there is no reimbursement for travel and I really cannot afford to fly out and back in a day for this short event. I worry this may hurt my chances, but also feel a little put off by the whole situation. If admitted, I definitely intend to visit the school and program. However, I am not willing to pay money to travel and visit if I still may get rejected. Does anyone else have experience with a more casual visit like this? I know any opportunity to meet and talk to faculty and staff is valuable, but is it make-or-break in terms of admissions?

Also I might just be overreacting, and they extend the open house invite to anyone who has expressed an interest in the program.

Thank you so much for your suggestions!

I went and stayed the entire afternoon. They had a lot of activities and it was wonderful being there! However, while I had the opportunity to talk to the graduate coordinator and current students, the faculty I was hoping to talk to were not available. It was a casual visit and I even made some new friends (fellow applicants). Now I'm hoping that they send out those decision letters soon! I'm already starting to feel anxious again!!! :-P