Opinions on Fat Studies

I started this thread because I am genuinely curious about how people think about Fat Studies. The people who think my curiosity is annoying can go somewhere else, they don't have to contribute to the discussion. 

In any case, it seems that political correctness has proved a detriment to critical thinking on this thread. As it usually does in the humanities in general. I suppose this answers my curiosity.

In any case, it seems that political correctness has proved a detriment to critical thinking on this thread. As it usually does in the humanities in general. I suppose this answers my curiosity.

Being good to other people (what you're dismissing as political correctness) is generally the result of deep, critical thinking. There is no situation in which critical thinking and decency are incompatible.

Being good to other people (what you're dismissing as political correctness) is generally the result of deep, critical thinking. There is no situation in which critical thinking and decency are incompatible.

Inherently false. You shouldn't have to critically think to be good to people. And if you think critical thinking and being good to people go hand in hand, I contend you've never had to fire someone based purely on monetary reasons. They're talking about "Fat Studies"...everyone needs to take themselves a bit less seriously. Don't like the thread? Tread (troll) elsewhere.

Inherently false. You shouldn't have to critically think to be good to people. And if you think critical thinking and being good to people go hand in hand, I contend you've never had to fire someone based purely on monetary reasons. They're talking about "Fat Studies"...everyone needs to take themselves a bit less seriously. Don't like the thread? Tread (troll) elsewhere.

Seriously? I never proposed any sort of cause/effect relationship and it is actually possible to respect someone's humanity while firing them.

I DON'T have any problems with this thread but I do have a problem with being rude to other people just for the fun of it.

Seriously? I never proposed any sort of cause/effect relationship and it is actually possible to respect someone's humanity while firing them.

I DON'T have any problems with this thread but I do have a problem with being rude to other people just for the fun of it.

"generally the result" shows cause and effect relationship...No one is being rude to anyone here whatsoever. Please, down vote me all day long. But this is, once again, where people are being whiny over something they believe over someone else. 

You shouldn't have to critically think to be good to people.

True, but critical thinking tends to lead one to positions respecting and promoting the autonomy and betterment of the human person, simply due to the fact that the arguments supporting those stances tend to be stronger.

ETA: I do really hate some aspects of this thread, and now my posting here has inadvertently caused more people to read it.  :blink:

Edited by Two Espressos

Does no one else find it offensive to discuss our diets on a thread that is discussing obesity? I have little to say about the field of "Fat Studies" as an academic field, and I'm pretty sure that OP just posted this to be offensive and cause 7 pages worth of worthless argument knowing that we would take the idea, get offended by it, get offended by others offensive, there'd be a snarky comment here or there (thanks thestage for playing your part, as always (I'm not even sure if that's a compliment or a dig -- I'll let you be the judge of that)), and it would get way off topic into realms that have little to nothing to do with obesity, the obesity epidemic, the politics of the aforementioned, etc. etc. etc. ETC. 

Let me repeat: This thread is stupid. 

And I will willingly admit that I have nothing better to do right now because a student is late for her conference, and I'm just waiting for her to show up. So, yes, I could just not read this. But I did. And it was stupid. 

Some program really needs your wit. I know I appreciate it.