Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

I can't take it anymore.  I need to know.  I need to know now. 

Hahaha less than 1 week to go! :D

Does anyone have any idea of what the average gpa's for the ontario schools are like?

No news from UofA yet? I don't understand why it's taking so long this year... of all years...

Nope, nothing.  Maybe we'll all hear back at the same time instead of by round?  Fingers crossed that today is the day, and that it's good news.

Hello all, someone kindly redirected me from Canadian SLP 2012 thread to this thread (which I did not know existed) and I am thrilled to see that is it so active. So far, I received an acceptance from Dalhousie (YAY!!) and got rejected from McGill. I am waiting to hear back from UofT and Western. Just few more days to go!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted!!!

I won't be applying until Fall 2013, but I'm interested in seeing how everyone has handled the process!!!!

To the people who were accepted to Dal, would you mind sharing your stats? I'm thinking its going to be my first choice and I'd love to know what they are looking for!

My current cGPA is 3.7 (on a 4.0 scale) and I'm hoping my subGPA will be a little higher after I complete my final semester. As of right now, I have 40 hours of clinical experience with an SLP, running social learning groups with ASD children. Hopefully by the time of application I'll have about 100 hours logged. No research experience though :S 

Good luck to everyone and thanks for any information in advance !!!! :)

Nope, nothing.  Maybe we'll all hear back at the same time instead of by round?  Fingers crossed that today is the day, and that it's good news.

Yes, fingers crossed... spasm! :)

And to hopefully pick up some good karma: my cGPA is btw 3.8 and 3.9, hopefully closer to the latter end (some of my last courses were taken in Australia, completely different system there, so I don't know exactly how that will work out), subGPA should be at least as high, UofA asks for GRE and that's 170 verb and 154 quant, teaching experience, research experience and I've published (linguistics). but - it's been a while (more than 5 yrs) since I was last a student (apart from a prerequisite I took last year) - hope they don't hold it against me.

Good luck to us all!

Hello all, someone kindly redirected me from Canadian SLP 2012 thread to this thread (which I did not know existed) and I am thrilled to see that is it so active. So far, I received an acceptance from Dalhousie (YAY!!) and got rejected from McGill. I am waiting to hear back from UofT and Western. Just few more days to go!

Congratulations on acceptance to Dal! :)

How did you hear of your acceptance? Via mail, e-mail???

I called the UofA today to ask when they would be sending out admissions, and they said they are looking to begin sending them in the beginning of April...

Thanks AbSLP! Some news at last! Did they say anything about why so much later this year than previous years?

Everyone waiting on Ontario schools - good luck Monday!

I called the UofA today to ask when they would be sending out admissions, and they said they are looking to begin sending them in the beginning of April...

Thanks for letting us now! Eurgh, I don't know how I'm going to last the entire long weekend.

Hi all,

Just found this chat and decided to create a profile. Congrats to everyone accepted so far! I only applied to U of T and Western because I'm hoping to stay in Ontario.. anxiously awaiting Monday. I've heard Western releases at midnight, but Toronto you have to wait for an e-mail during the day. Can anyone confirm this?

Hi all,

Just found this chat and decided to create a profile. Congrats to everyone accepted so far! I only applied to U of T and Western because I'm hoping to stay in Ontario.. anxiously awaiting Monday. I've heard Western releases at midnight, but Toronto you have to wait for an e-mail during the day. Can anyone confirm this?

So far from everyone in my undergrad this has been the experience. Western sends out their acceptances between midnight and 3 am and then rejections/waitlists right after. Toronto, they continue to send acceptances throughout the morning ( I have never heard of anyone hearing after noon) and then mails rejections within the next two days. 

Does anyone know anything about being waitlisted at University of Ottawa? i.e. number of people waitlisted, ranking, etc.

I haven't come across anybody else who's applied to U of O. I'm jealous. I was originally planning on applying there but it didn't work out this year. If I didn't get in to any of the English programs this year, I was going to apply there next year. So I don't have an answer to your question, but best of luck! 

So far from everyone in my undergrad this has been the experience. Western sends out their acceptances between midnight and 3 am and then rejections/waitlists right after. Toronto, they continue to send acceptances throughout the morning ( I have never heard of anyone hearing after noon) and then mails rejections within the next two days. 

This has been what I have seen/heard as well. 

Edited by Inny

Thanks for the information! 3am.. crazy..  hope we don't have to wait up that long!!

Thanks Inny for the response anyways! I don't know about being jealous about being on a waiting list haha but I guess it's better than a rejection! 

Thanks Inny for the response anyways! I don't know about being jealous about being on a waiting list haha but I guess it's better than a rejection! 

Just out of curiosity... Did you apply to any other French programs? 

No just Ottawa. I have no desire to go to Trois Rivieres, Laval not sure why I didn't and Universite de Montreal didn't want to re-do my undergrad degree! But I've applied to all the other Canadian schools...rejected from McGill though but big surprise there! 

No just Ottawa. I have no desire to go to Trois Rivieres, Laval not sure why I didn't and Universite de Montreal didn't want to re-do my undergrad degree! But I've applied to all the other Canadian schools...rejected from McGill though but big surprise there! 

It's funny you mention UQTR; I only found out that there was a program there earlier this month when I was on the OOAQ website. Did you also know that there's a French-language SLP program at Laurentian University in Sudbury? The two programs are too new and hence aren't even listed on the CASLPA list of university programs.

Sorry to hear about McGill, but good luck hearing back from the other schools. I was just in Montreal last week checking out McGill. I'm fairly confident I'll get in to Toronto and maybe Western, so I've been debating which school to go to. I currently live in Toronto and I don't know if I should move or not!

It's funny you mention UQTR; I only found out that there was a program there earlier this month when I was on the OOAQ website. Did you also know that there's a French-language SLP program at Laurentian University in Sudbury? The two programs are too new and hence aren't even listed on the CASLPA list of university programs.

Sorry to hear about McGill, but good luck hearing back from the other schools. I was just in Montreal last week checking out McGill. I'm fairly confident I'll get in to Toronto and maybe Western, so I've been debating which school to go to. I currently live in Toronto and I don't know if I should move or not!

Huh.  I wish my French was better, seems like it's impossible NOT to get into SLP if you're francophone and applied to all the french schools. 

McGill vs Toronto - If finances are an issue, living in Montreal is VERY cheap.

Wish I had your confidence haha.

Excited that the day is finally here but yet soooooooo nervous! Good Luck everyone for tomorrow!

I know what you mean!  Now that's is so close, I don't want to know in case it's bad news.  Kind of feel like we're going in blind; wish we had an idea of past admission averages.  I'm also a bit concerned my personal statement isn't that great...

Hi everyone,

Just found this thread! I applied to U of T, Western, and McGill and have also been refused by McGill. I can hardly contain myself for tomorrow - I am getting so anxious and nervous. 

Good luck to all, hoping for some good news!!