Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

I'm IN!!!! :D

Ruined my sleep tho :(

I tried waiting till the morning before checking but somehow woke up at 2 am. After I found out, tried sleeping again but couldn't (probably because I was super excited).

Congrats to those who got in!!

For those who don't mind, could you share your stats for future applicants to get an idea of what they're looking for?

Program: UWO Audiology

sub GPA: 3.85 or 89% (cGPA is high too but not sure if that matters)

Clinical Audiology hours: only 25!

Research experience, hospital volunteering (about 100 hours), Other volunteering (club executive, peer tutor)

Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Edited by Audie

Woot! Just got an e-mail from U of T saying that I'm in! It's personalized in that it starts with "Dear (name)" so you may still be waiting!

Crud, what to choose and where to go?

Oh wow hopefully I get an email soon then too! Congrats to you both!

I wonder once everyone makes their decision if we could chat about who may be looking for housing in the same city for the fall! It would be great to room with other SLPs-to-be :) 

I think I'm way too excited - I already want to plan!  :P

Got into UofT as well. 

I'm going to have a very tough decision to make if I get into U of Alberta (In a relationship with a west coaster, so going to UofA would bring us closer than my current location, but still not in the same city), and U of T (I will have friends, potentially better quality of life). 

This most certainly means a spot will open up at UWO for waitlisters.

I didn't expect to have options!

Does anyone have any information regarding the quality of the U of T and Alberta programs (all I know is that Alberta has way more internship hours) and the "quality of life" of the people in them?

Congrats egad00!!!!! 

I have the same question about UBC and U of T... In U of T's email it says it ranks among the highest in North America.. but I want to know how the other schools rank! 

Edited by Inny

Hi all,

I got into Toronto as well... congrats everyone. Tough decision between Western and Toronto for me. I got notification I received an OGS for Toronto.. has anyone heard about OGS for Western? Let me know if you have!

Good luck to all those still waiting- I am positive spaces will open up :)

Congrats to those who got in at U of T! I haven't got an email yet, but hopefully I will heard soon :S

Does anyone know if they send out rejections by email as well?

Edited by speechapp

Congrats to those who got in at U of T! I haven't got an email yet, but hopefully I will heard soon :S

Does anyone know if they send out rejections by email as well?

I think they mail rejections/watilists.

I haven't heard back from U of T yet either.

Has anyone figured out what tuition for UofT is?  I found their estimated costs per year, but not the actual tuition fee.

This pdf: http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Assets/Student+Accounts+Digital+Assets/schedules/sgs+dom/12_13_sgs_dom_fees.pdf

doesn't include the spring/summer semesters either. I don't know if they're not being transparent, or if I can't navigate their website.

Has anyone figured out what tuition for UofT is?  I found their estimated costs per year, but not the actual tuition fee.

This pdf: http://www.fees.utoronto.ca/Assets/Student+Accounts+Digital+Assets/schedules/sgs+dom/12_13_sgs_dom_fees.pdf

doesn't include the spring/summer semesters either. I don't know if they're not being transparent, or if I can't navigate their website.

The 10K price tag is what my friend who is currently in the program has told me. I will ask her if there was an additional fee for the summer. 

ETA: "Spring" is not a semester at U of T. So the price should be for Sept-April, or Sept -Aug, but I think it's the latter. 

Edited by Inny

I saw an estimate around 10K as well.. I looked at something for Western and it looked about half the price? Was I looking at the wrong thing? 

http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/student_finances/fees_refunds/pdfs%20fee%20schedule%20/Fall%202012%20Fee%20Schedule%20Grad%20Canadian.pdf

I saw an estimate around 10K as well.. I looked at something for Western and it looked about half the price? Was I looking at the wrong thing? 

http://www.registrar.uwo.ca/student_finances/fees_refunds/pdfs%20fee%20schedule%20/Fall%202012%20Fee%20Schedule%20Grad%20Canadian.pdf

It says $3,856 per term. I would think you would need to make at least two instalments (once in fall, once in winter) of that fee. Once again it comes down to if you have to pay again for the summer. 

ETA: My friend has confirmed that U of T is approximately 10K a year. So that means the price on the site is for the whole year. Hope that helps. 

Edited by Inny

It says $3,856 per term. I would think you would need to make at least two instalments (once in fall, once in winter) of that fee. Once again it comes down to if you have to pay again for the summer. 

ETA: My friend has confirmed that U of T is approximately 10K a year. So that means the price on the site is for the whole year. Hope that helps. 

Thanks!

Thanks Inny!  Appreciate that you're sharing your legwork :) 

Just received an email from U of T "This is to confirm receipt of your application to the MHSc program.  Please be informed all application status have been put in the mail via Canada Post today." Did everyone receive this email? I've lost hope on getting an acceptance today... but hoping I can get wait listed at a couple schools and take one of the spots of the people that received multiple offers! Fingers crossed!!!

Just received an email from U of T "This is to confirm receipt of your application to the MHSc program.  Please be informed all application status have been put in the mail via Canada Post today." Did everyone receive this email? I've lost hope on getting an acceptance today... but hoping I can get wait listed at a couple schools and take one of the spots of the people that received multiple offers! Fingers crossed!!!

I just got the same email!! I have no idea what it means...

For future applicants:

UBC's tuition is only $4349 per year. 

I didn't know this when I applied but it was definitely a nice surprise when I found out.  :)

I wonder why there's such a huge difference..?

I've been thinking about this. 

Two things came to mind: 

1) BC (or at least UBC) tends to have cheaper tuition than Ontario schools. 

2) There are less SLP spots per capita in BC than in Ontario. So in Ontario, money is getting stretched across more schools/spots, where as in BC, it's just going to UBC. 

They sent out our official acceptance/rejection/wait list packages! I was fortunate to get an acceptance, but don't give up all hope you will be notified of wait list status via slug mail! Like you said many who got multiple offers will have to accept and open up. I'm leaning towards UofT, so another spot should open up at Western soon!

I just got the same email.  To clarify- some people did receive acceptance emails from UT today? Has anyone received waitlist emails from UT?

My feeling was that if I was going to get an acceptance, it would be by email, so the fact that they are mailing me something means a rejection- what do you guys think?

Congrats to all those accepted to UT and UWO!!! :)

Any word on UofA?