Canadian SLP applications thread!

Inny

Out of curiosity- what are everyone's stats? If you feel comfortable sharing.  undergrad degree, GPA, GRE, experience?  I feel like the grades are really inflated in the states and a 3.8 here is not really hard to get like a 3.8 in Canada.  So I'm wondering if I have a chance with the Canadian schools or not.

I have an undergrad degree in Psychology (Canada) with GPA 3.05, post-baccalaureate in Speech and Hearing Science (in progress- USA) with GPA 3.91, 1.5 years in an SLP clinic volunteering, research experience during my post-bac, international volunteering experience, 306/4.0 GRE.

As you can see my undergrad GPA is really low! Yet I still got admitted in the states because of the post-bac GPA- so not sure how Canadian schools are going to look at it :S Probably not favourably haha

Welcome AllThingsSLP!

I emailed Noriko Major at the end of February to ask when we'd hear back and if it was going to be April 1st like the ORPAS schools.  And she said it would be BY April 1st, so I'm guessing we will know soon!

Out of curiosity- what are everyone's stats? If you feel comfortable sharing.  undergrad degree, GPA, GRE, experience?  I feel like the grades are really inflated in the states and a 3.8 here is not really hard to get like a 3.8 in Canada.  So I'm wondering if I have a chance with the Canadian schools or not.

I have an undergrad degree in Psychology (Canada) with GPA 3.05, post-baccalaureate in Speech and Hearing Science (in progress- USA) with GPA 3.91, 1.5 years in an SLP clinic volunteering, research experience during my post-bac, international volunteering experience, 306/4.0 GRE.

As you can see my undergrad GPA is really low! Yet I still got admitted in the states because of the post-bac GPA- so not sure how Canadian schools are going to look at it :S Probably not favourably haha

Thanks Slpnut!! 

This waiting game is awful, I check my e-mail about 10 times a day!

I have a subGPA of 3.86 and an overall GPA of 3.56 in my undergrad. I have over 300 hours volunteer in SLP with adults and children and a year of research experience as well as additional volunteer in OT. (Last year I had a 3.54 subGPA and was waitlisted if that helps!) 

I am not sure how it works with the undergrad and then your post-bacc but from what I have heard they usually base most of the emphasis on your subGPA.. so your last 20 half-credits (or 10 full-credits) which if they take your post-bacc into consideration,works in your favour!  Sorry I can't be more helpful! 

I really wish all the schools would be like ORPAS and just give us an exact date when all the decisions would be announced :P

haha I agree 100%.At least that way I'd be way more productive instead of stopping what I am doing to check my email every ten minutes  :wacko:

Congrats!

Also, nothing from McGill yet.. and my application status still says ready to review. It's so hard not to become totally paranoid and think the worst!

Yes, my info on Minerva still says that, but I got the e-mail saying I've been accepted, so I'm going with that.

FYI, I have until April 8 to accept, and if I do, I have to pay a $500 non-refundable deposit by Visa or MasterCard!

Yes, my info on Minerva still says that, but I got the e-mail saying I've been accepted, so I'm going with that.

FYI, I have until April 8 to accept, and if I do, I have to pay a $500 non-refundable deposit by Visa or MasterCard!

UBC gave me til April 5th to respond and April 12th to give the deposit - I'm glad they're letting us wait til the ORPAS decisions are out! 

Nice to see someone else who was also interested in applying at U of O. But I also didn't end up applying for similar reasons. If I didn't get in this round, I would have applied there next year. 

Edited by Inny

Congrats Centcan!!!!!!!!!

I got an email on Saturday from McGill asking to show proof within 5 days that I will be taking my final prereq by this summer (a LING class) and that was all that was needed to extend me an offer of admission.  So it sounds like I got in but the way the email was also gave me some doubt.... so I am not sure! Plus I can't actually enroll in that class until April 8th so I technically couldn't give them any proof.  But I explained it as well as I could and assured I'd be taking it.

Anyway, FREAKING OUT. They wouldn't go through the trouble of email me and then still decide not to take me right?!? Gahhhh

What do you guys think!?! So worried.

I got an email on Saturday from McGill asking to show proof within 5 days that I will be taking my final prereq by this summer (a LING class) and that was all that was needed to extend me an offer of admission.  So it sounds like I got in but the way the email was also gave me some doubt.... so I am not sure! Plus I can't actually enroll in that class until April 8th so I technically couldn't give them any proof.  But I explained it as well as I could and assured I'd be taking it.

Anyway, FREAKING OUT. They wouldn't go through the trouble of email me and then still decide not to take me right?!? Gahhhh

That's fantastic!!!!!! Sounds like you'll be coming back to your homeland, if you so decide. G'job!

Edited by Inny

That's fantastic!!!!!! Sounds like you'll be coming back to your homeland, if you so decide. G'job!

So you think it's sounds like a sure thing then?  I'm so paranoid I feel like I won't relax until I see it!!! :/

But thanks though! I actually just got back from a meeting at UNC Chapel Hill and basically found out I'm not eligible for any funding whatsoever, so this is quite a relief. I'm going to be really sad to leave NC but I'll consider it like a new adventure, I suppose.

Fingers crossed for everyone!

Thanks Slpnut!! 

This waiting game is awful, I check my e-mail about 10 times a day!

I have a subGPA of 3.86 and an overall GPA of 3.56 in my undergrad. I have over 300 hours volunteer in SLP with adults and children and a year of research experience as well as additional volunteer in OT. (Last year I had a 3.54 subGPA and was waitlisted if that helps!) 

I am not sure how it works with the undergrad and then your post-bacc but from what I have heard they usually base most of the emphasis on your subGPA.. so your last 20 half-credits (or 10 full-credits) which if they take your post-bacc into consideration,works in your favour!  Sorry I can't be more helpful! 

Your welcome!!

Wow that sounds like some great stats so I'm sure you'll be hearing some good new soon!  My ORPAS sub-GPA was calculated quite low at 3.2 something I believe.  But my pre-req's were mostly all A's so not sure how they will weigh them out. I had a few bad classes in my last 20 courses :S

And yes they did include the first semester of my post-bac but its only 4 classes so even though the grades were good, I don't think it made as huge of an impact.

But we shall see!

I know someone (last year) who had to provide proof that their Statistics class was in keeping with McGill's requirements - it's definitely an acceptance.  Congrats!

I know someone (last year) who had to provide proof that their Statistics class was in keeping with McGill's requirements - it's definitely an acceptance.  Congrats!

Okay... just reading that made me feel 10x better. I'm still at the edge of my seat but I'll try and calm it down for now.  Thanks for letting me know (and making me feel better!!) :)

Okay... just reading that made me feel 10x better. I'm still at the edge of my seat but I'll try and calm it down for now.  Thanks for letting me know (and making me feel better!!) :)

I agree -- I think you're accepted! :D Montreal's a great place. 

I agree -- I think you're accepted! :D Montreal's a great place. 

Aww I appreciate the support in this! I actually do love Montreal - I lived there two summers ago with my brother, just working in a coffee shop. Awesome when the weather is nice, but I think the winters are going to be a bit brutal compared to North Carolina haha...

I'll definitely let you guys know when I hear officially. :)

Awesome when the weather is nice, but I think the winters are going to be a bit brutal compared to North Carolina haha...

Definitely true! I think the winters are worse than in Toronto, where I am. But I guess that's good incentive to stay indoors and study ;) 

Definitely true! I think the winters are worse than in Toronto, where I am. But I guess that's good incentive to stay indoors and study ;)

Hahaha I suppose you're right ;) Studying is the only thing I'll have time for anyway!!