Recommended for Assessment

Rumcajs

Hello all! Hopefully this is the correct thread!

So I have applied to Carleton and my application says "Recommended for Assessment".

Should I be celebrating? panicking?

Help :D

Edited by Rumcajs

Hey!!!!

It means you should start celebrating... An offer will be made to you by March 4th. For more details check the link below. I am in the same boat as you. If you are applying to NPSIA, I will see you in September then.

http://www1.carleton.ca/socialwork/2013/2013-14-msw-applicants-admissions-decisions

Actually hold your horses applicants. I spoke with NPSIA today and they said that it means that we have passed the first stage, but we can still be turned down. I got excited too, but they said that a decision will not be reached until mid March.

Actually hold your horses applicants. I spoke with NPSIA today and they said that it means that we have passed the first stage, but we can still be turned down. I got excited too, but they said that a decision will not be reached until mid March.

I will just pretend I didnt read that ;)  Perhaps she didnt want to disclose or cause any controversy as a result of her saying yes and then turned to a no. Just reading the language of the MSW makes me feel better though!

Edited by Rumcajs

I received an email about this. All this means is we've met the minimum admission requirements and that our files are now in the hands of the admissions committee.

Edited by thunderchunky

I received an email about this. All this means is we've met the minimum admission requirements and that our files are now in the hands of the admissions committee.

I figured as much, mine's been recommended for assessment for a good few weeks - was a nice thought while it lasted though!

I just noticed mine go into "Recommended for Assessment" today! I also applied to NPSIA. 

I hope we find out soon, what are your guys' stats? If you don't want to share, I completely understand - I'm just going a little crazy with the wait!

I have a 3.73 GPA, 161 LSAT (I applied to the joint JD program at U of O). I'm accepted at Queen's and Osgoode for law and Queen's for the MPA program so far. I'm still hoping for NPSIA/JD at Ottawa as it's my first choice.

Good luck everyone! 

Well, my background is probably a little bit different than everyone else's... I finished a BComm with highest honours, and am just wrapping up my Chartered Accountant (CA) designation.

I applied to NPSIA after reading about the program and finding it to be exactly the direction I want to take my career in, as you can often be pigeonholed accounting for everyone else's strategic decisions as a CA, and I wanted to actually be making them. I have experience living, studying and working in a number of different places internationally, but am just hoping that my different background is an asset and not a liability!

I'm on the edge of my seat (like everyone else) waiting for that (hopefully an) offer! NPSIA is the only place I applied to, as other universities don't seem to have the same fit that I'm looking for.

I'm sure it will be an asset to have different experience, you sound very interesting! 

My background is probably more standard (honours degree in International Studies), living and working abroad on 4 different continents over a span of about 4 years. I am a bit older as well since I've taken so many "gap years" to travel and work, haha. 

NPSIA is definitely my first choice too, the program sounds phenomenal.

Fingers crossed we are both classmates next year! I'll post on this thread when I hear something :-)

Good luck with admission to the joint program! It looks very interesting. I considered the possibility of applying, but ultimately decided I didn't want to commit to law school. 

I just noticed mine go into "Recommended for Assessment" today! I also applied to NPSIA. 

I hope we find out soon, what are your guys' stats? If you don't want to share, I completely understand - I'm just going a little crazy with the wait!

I have a 3.73 GPA, 161 LSAT (I applied to the joint JD program at U of O). I'm accepted at Queen's and Osgoode for law and Queen's for the MPA program so far. I'm still hoping for NPSIA/JD at Ottawa as it's my first choice.

Good luck everyone! 

Good luck with admission to the joint program! It looks very interesting. I considered the possibility of applying, but ultimately decided I didn't want to commit to law school. 

Thanks a lot! I'm still not sure that I want to commit to law school, haha. It's definitely a big decision. 

Good luck to you too! Hopefully we hear something soon. 

Good luck everyone! 

This is my background/stats....

At the local college, I completed the Legal Assistant Certification, took some legal courses and completed the Institute of Law Clerks of Ontario Diploma.

I worked full-time as a Law Clerk while completing my diploma and during my undergraduate studies. I was concurrently registered at the local college and university, finishing my Law Clerks Diploma while in undergrad. I also completed my four-year HBA, double major, in three years.  

My Undergraduate GPA: Gerontology, 3.58; Women's Studies, 3.62; overall, 3.50 (I think this is pretty good since I fast-tracked my degree, was working on my Law Clerks Diploma and worked full-time). 

My Graduate Studies GPA: 3.90 (what a difference, eh!) 

I am a research assistant (since May 2011), a graduate assistant (since September 2011). I hold two national awards (one is SSHRC and one national fellowship) and five university scholarships. My M.Ed. thesis is under examination right now - I will graduate in June 2013. 

Good luck to everyone!

I imagine many of you who applied for NPSIA also applied for the MA in Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa. I just got an email from Social Sciences informing me that admissions decision for the GSPIA won't be sent out until April. 

Edited by thunderchunky

I imagine many of you who applied for NPSIA also applied for the MA in Public and International Affairs at the University of Ottawa. I just got an email from Social Sciences informing me that admissions decision for the GSPIA won't be sent out until April. 

Interesting, I have received no such email! Was that an internal email from Carleton (assuming you are a Carleton Undergrad) or just a regular email? April is simply a bridge too far...

Edited by Rumcajs

I also haven't received an email from GPSIA. Hmm, very interesting, especially based on previous years where it looks like applicants have been accepted in March.

It wasn't a generalized email. I sent an inquiry last week asking when decisions would be made, and the administrative assistant replied to me today. I also found it odd given the results page on this site seems to indicate that in previous years the decisions were issued in March. Maybe they're doing things differently this year, or maybe it's a generous estimate so I'll refrain from bugging them again until April. Who knows?

Edited by thunderchunky

I know NPSIA does the same - their site says applications will be evaluated after March 15th, but per the admin assistant it's really just to keep students off their back until mid-March when they start sending out offers and rejections. Can't say I blame them...! Knowing how compulsively we're all checking haha, I certainly wouldn't want to be the one having to coordinate all of the applications and correspondences!

Hey, 

New to the forums but just curious what your current application status is?! Mine is still 'recommended for assessment' but I know a few people who have other status's including 'Review in Progress by Department' - which is apparently the step after the recommended one.  

http://www1.carleton.ca/socialwork/2013/2013-14-msw-applicants-admissions-decisions

The same link that was posted earlier has been updated and it states that there.  Curious to see if maybe they haven't updated our status's or maybe some people are at an advanced stage?  Also out of curiosity, when did you guys/gals apply to the program?!  It may have to do with how early or late we applied too?! 

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Ahh I'm so nervous!!! 

Thanks for posting this update!

It is interesting though that not everyone's status would change.... but I guess that would make it "too easy".

Good luck! Mine still says "Recommended for Assessment"!

I'm keeping positive thoughts!

The information on that web page does not apply to NPSIA. It states: "The Decisions below refer to Master of Social Work applications only."

Hey, 

New to the forums but just curious what your current application status is?! Mine is still 'recommended for assessment' but I know a few people who have other status's including 'Review in Progress by Department' - which is apparently the step after the recommended one.  

The same link that was posted earlier has been updated and it states that there.  Curious to see if maybe they haven't updated our status's or maybe some people are at an advanced stage?  Also out of curiosity, when did you guys/gals apply to the program?!  It may have to do with how early or late we applied too?! 

Thanks and good luck to everyone! Ahh I'm so nervous!!!