Decisions...

socanth

So as results are rolling in thick and fast, I thought it might be useful to start a conversation regarding the different programs and how everyone's making their decisions, if they have the luxury of a choice.

A few questions to get us going:

- what's the most important factor for you?

- does university/department prestige take priority over advisor fit?

- is location important for you?

I'm sure there are lots of other things too - please weigh in with your thought processes!

(Having not got in last application cycle, I realize some people won't have been admitted anywhere (as yet!). There are threads from previous years where admitted applicants shared strengths and tips; if anyone's interested in that again then I'm sure people would be happy to contribute to a new thread!)

I can get the ball rolling on this, although it's pretty straightforward for me - I have been admitted to two very clear safety schools and my top choice.  So it's not too taxing!  

My top choice, though, isn't one of the traditional powerhouses of Chicago, Berkeley, Harvard, Michigan, Columbia and Penn.  I am wondering what would have happened if I'd been admitted to Chicago - although I'm sure I'm much better off at this smaller, newer program, would I have been able to justify turning down the name and all the doors it would open?  I'm relieved it's just a hypothetical question for me!

I'm actually struggling with this a lot. Choices:

1. UCLA:

- Went there for undergrad, hesitant to go back when I have the chance to go somewhere new

- Excellent program fit (but is it because I went there for four years?)
- Funding so-so, cost of living really high

- Get along with grad students and faculty really well

- Weather is divine.

2. Yale:

- Program fit is good, but not excellent.

- Funding much better, cost of living lower.

- Opens up another coast of connections with faculty and students

- Cold winters, small town.

Halp.

1. UCLA:

- Went there for undergrad, hesitant to go back when I have the chance to go somewhere new

- Weather is divine.

2. Yale:

Halp.

I obviously am no expert and am also struggling right now to make a similar decision (UC vs. east coast Ivy), but I would say you definitely shouldn't discount the fact that you seem to like the place you would be living in in UCLA and that you fit really well with current graduate students.  5+ years is a long time, and you definitely aren't going to make (ok, maybe you would, but would have more of a struggle) it if you aren't happy and don't have a meaningful/fulfilling social life!  That being said, I've been told that there is some merit to not going to the same place you went for undergrad in terms of being exposed to different theories/methodologies/networks of scholars etc.  Just my opinions though!

Since we are in a similar spot I will ask you- what is your impression of how much "name brand" might matter in opening doors, as they say, in the future job hunt?  I'm not inclined to care about that sort of thing, but I also don't want to disregard it if it is a genuine factor in what is, lets be honest, an appalling job market.

congrats again on your offers! :)

I obviously am no expert and am also struggling right now to make a similar decision (UC vs. east coast Ivy), but I would say you definitely shouldn't discount the fact that you seem to like the place you would be living in in UCLA and that you fit really well with current graduate students.  5+ years is a long time, and you definitely aren't going to make (ok, maybe you would, but would have more of a struggle) it if you aren't happy and don't have a meaningful/fulfilling social life!  That being said, I've been told that there is some merit to not going to the same place you went for undergrad in terms of being exposed to different theories/methodologies/networks of scholars etc.  Just my opinions though!

Since we are in a similar spot I will ask you- what is your impression of how much "name brand" might matter in opening doors, as they say, in the future job hunt?  I'm not inclined to care about that sort of thing, but I also don't want to disregard it if it is a genuine factor in what is, lets be honest, an appalling job market.

Yeah, I certainly have a lot of friends in Los Angeles already and a good support system. That's something to consider. But I have no doubt I'll make new friends in Connecticut too. Not sure if I should choose comfort or a challenge. And yeah, I feel like I'm leaning towards Yale because of the new exposure and connections it offers.

In terms of brand name, I find that it only seems relevant outside of academia. Like, if I were to try to get a job at a tech company, I feel like an Ivy name would be noticed more than a UC. But that's pretty much all. Within academia, your work and your colleagues are the most important things; the school name is almost irrelevant.

Radiomars, another thing to keep in mind is networking. I've heard a number of my professors only half-jokingly say that more is accomplished at conferences in the hotel bar than in the papers themselves. In anthro especially, everything is about who you know and your network. If you have a fabulous network already in place at UCLA, it might be time to expand in a new direction. It'll be a challenge, yes, but moving to a new city always is. You'll always have your UCLA friends and your UCLA network. Have you visited Yale/met with your POI?

Congrats, by the way -- UCLA or Yale is an enviable predicament to be in!!

Edited by batcathat

Radiomars, another thing to keep in mind is networking. I've heard a number of my professors only half-jokingly say that more is accomplished at conferences in the hotel bar than in the papers themselves. In anthro especially, everything is about who you know and your network. If you have a fabulous network already in place at UCLA, it might be time to expand in a new direction. It'll be a challenge, yes, but moving to a new city always is. You'll always have your UCLA friends and your UCLA network. Have you visited Yale/met with your POI?

Congrats, by the way -- UCLA or Yale is an enviable predicament to be in!!

Thanks a lot for this input! This is exactly what I'm thinking. I already have very strong connections at UCLA, and it seems like a good idea to expand out further. And thanks for the positive support. It's almost like choosing between two different desserts, nothing to complain about.

Ah, and yes, I made a trip out to Yale a couple months ago. Got along fabulously with my POI and the other grad students seemed really nice. I think I could be happy there, the only thing I'm slightly concerned about is that it's a smaller department that's not as well-established as a powerhouse like UCLA, but maybe that's not as big of a detriment as I think.

Edited by radiomars

Speaking of decisions, what are people's understandings of when people start to really finalize decisions and those of us waiting on wait lists can begin to hear back from schools? I have one acceptance and one wait list, and I'd definitely take the wait list school if I could, but the uncertainty and waiting are driving me nuts. (Though uncertainty and waiting seem par for the course with this entire process.) 

Speaking of decisions, what are people's understandings of when people start to really finalize decisions and those of us waiting on wait lists can begin to hear back from schools? I have one acceptance and one wait list, and I'd definitely take the wait list school if I could, but the uncertainty and waiting are driving me nuts. (Though uncertainty and waiting seem par for the course with this entire process.) 

I'm in the same situation. Waitlisted at my top school and would take it in a heartbeat if I am offered. But the uncertainty is driving me nuts and I'm not sure how well I will do with waiting another month and a half. On top of that, one of my schools has asked me to decide by March 15.

sweetpearl - I don't think they can ask you to do that? That's why there's the over-arching April 15th deadline for acceptances. They can push you for sooner decisions, but you aren't required surely.

Edited by mp429

1. UCLA:

- Weather is divine.

2. Yale:

Halp.

My opinion is leaning towards Yale due to the extended network BUT you mention the program fit is only 'good' not excellent. Does this relate to your POI or the program as a whole? Will the POI you work with still be a good fit for you or is the UCLA one much much better?

Edited by mp429

sweetpearl - I don't think they can ask you to do that? That's why there's the over-arching April 15th deadline for acceptances. They can push you for sooner decisions, but you aren't required surely.

I didn't think they could do that either. My adviser assures me that I have no obligation to make a commitment until April 15 and they cannot ask me to commit sooner. I'm just glad I have his support in this matter.

My opinion is leaning towards Yale due to the extended network BUT you mention the program fit is only 'good' not excellent. Does this relate to your POI or the program as a whole? Will the POI you work with still be a good fit for you or is the UCLA one much much better?

Well, Yale has a smaller department. My POI there does interesting work on life history and human evolutionary biology that I like, but only 2 or 3 other people in the department do human bio. Their main focuses are primatology, molecular genetics, paleo, and human behavioral ecology. I've been told they are expanding more into human bio. Ucla focuses on evolutionary medicine, evolutionary psychology, human behavioral ecology, and primatology. I feel like I am more interested by ucla's focuses but I think it might possibly be from lack of exposure to others. Also, I'm thinking that I can still do evolutionary medicine (pretty much the one big difference between the two) like at ucla or still collaborate with faculty in other schools as a student in Yale if that's something I feel is lacking. My POI at Yale made it clear that if I have a good idea, they will support me in pursuing it. So that is reassuring.

Thanks for this great post and great thread. I'm in the exact same predicament. I have no idea what to do. East Coast vs West Coast (knowing I want to end up on the West Coast). Do I go to the name brand program with a lot of financial support? Or do I go for the place that I may be in a tighter financial situation but may be happier with other things?

I'm not exacly sure how much money should play into this decision knowing that one school has a significant advantage over the other schools to support things like summers, conferences, etc. What do I do? Visits are coming up next week. I really really hope that it gives me some perspective and not confuses me more.

I've been hardcore emailing current graduate students and their responses have been enormously helpful in thinking through things... Its not just what they say, but the way they phrase it, their enthusiasm level, etc. that has been really telling.  

Sorry for posting this in two threads, but if anyone is thinking of turning down an offer from the University of Oregon (sociocultural) would you maybe PM me or something. I'm first on the waitlist and I'm selfishly hoping the admitted students get fantastic offers from other schools that are better fits so that I can have a spot :)

I am getting ready to visit a few programs next week and have been thinking about what I should keep in mind during my visit. Does anyone have suggestions of things that are important to consider?

I thought of:

-- placement of recent PhD's

-- How easy it is to get summer and research funding

-- How well one gets along with advisor

-- Student culture

-- How often people meet with professors / advisors

-- structure of the program

-- Reputation? (how would one go about finding this out??)

-- Other resources and centers at the university

-- Location / how good the stipend is relative to the cost of living

any other factors that you are considering?

I am getting ready to visit a few programs next week and have been thinking about what I should keep in mind during my visit. Does anyone have suggestions of things that are important to consider?

I thought of:

-- placement of recent PhD's

-- How easy it is to get summer and research funding

-- How well one gets along with advisor

-- Student culture

-- How often people meet with professors / advisors

-- structure of the program

-- Reputation? (how would one go about finding this out??)

-- Other resources and centers at the university

-- Location / how good the stipend is relative to the cost of living

any other factors that you are considering?

re: summer/research funding, not just how easy but I suppose how much internal support there is in the department (and therefore how much you could potentially compete with your classmates) as well as how successful are people at acquiring external support. Also, how willing is your supervisor to help you in the funding process - sending you potential grants you are eligible for, proofing applications - or is it a very independent process?

For me when I visited a few schools, just the general vibe of how I fit in with the current grad students was important. I visited two schools and felt awkward with current student at one and immediate good-friend-vibes with another. That was important to me since we'll be sharing labspace and everything.

Not sure what type of field you are in, but finding out how much lab or office space is allocated to you. Again, between my two schools one had none (other than a general grad center) and the other I get my own desk and shelves and space in a shared lab.

Also think about questions you want to ask your POI and other faculty vs questions for students. Both opinions are good and you need both to get a feel for what life is like there, academically and socially. RE: money / stipend vs cost of living. I asked people how much their monthly expenses were, what they felt their quality of life was like (scraping by / just making it, or comfortable or whatever). I think people will automatically say "yea, it's fine!" but they could live in a tiny cheap crappy place - so ask around and ask specifics.