SLP 2013 CALIFORNIA Admissions!!

Got the SDSU email about an hour ago too.. Surprisingly waitlisted since I considered this my "reach" school.. Grateful to be considered and yeah, 550 applicants is a bit ridiculous.. We'll see what unfolds over the next month or so..

As for Fullerton, still no word yet.. Hopefully some concrete good news for all of us soon!!

SpeechBanana, glad you enjoyed the faculty as CSULA! I love them too and it's been a pleasure being a post-bacc student there for the past two academic years.. I ultimately hope to stay there solely because I've grown to love the professors.. If you get in and accept, you will not be disappointed! :)

I'm a current student at UofR. There have been growing rumblings in the department that decisions are going to be coming out in the next few days. We don't have many classes going on today, but I was on campus and didn't hear anything while I was hanging out in the department. This isn't a very definitive answer, I know. :) 

In general, we tend to have a lot of successful out-of-field applicants. The department is also very friendly to people who are applying for a three-year grad program. This isn't to say that in-field, two-year applicants don't get in. Of the grads I know, I'd say it's about 50/50 in-field and out-of-field. There were 4 or 5 three-year students accepted for the Fall 2011 semester. The faculty are all really busy, but they're also extremely welcoming and approachable. 

Hello Everybody,

Thanks for this great site and this section on CA admissions.

I am sure that my situtation is quite unique. I am a 48 year old male married

with four children. I am a PhD candidate in a speech and language program

and hope to defend this upcoming summer or next fall.

Anyway, I decided to only do the research track for the PhD

and not the clinical part (which would have allowed me to

get my CCC-SLP). The reasons for this are many and varied.

This program I am in, is not in CA and I cannot return to it to get

my C's.

Anyway, I feel that I made a mistake by not working toward

my C's while doing the doctorate degree (I had the option to do so)

as I feel that the background and practical real world experience is missing with me and also it is very difficult

to get an assitant professor position without have your C's.

I live in the San Diego and am a CA resident. I would like to apply

to SDSU and San Marcos as well as the Northridge program all online

program.

I would be curious as to how admission committees and other students

would view and judge me?

Thanks!

I can't speak for admissions committees, but I don't think other students would view you in a negative manner.  As a post-bacc student, I have noticed that there are people of all ages pursuing study in this field, from early 20's to well in their 60's.  I imagine that your dedication to the discipline (pursuing a PhD) would be viewed favorably by admission committees.  As long as your statement of intent addresses the reason you want to go back to obtain your C's, I imagine you would be able to gain admission to a program.  Perhaps start by contacting the departments you are interested in?  Good luck in your pursuits!

I can't speak for admissions committees, but I don't think other students would view you in a negative manner.  As a post-bacc student, I have noticed that there are people of all ages pursuing study in this field, from early 20's to well in their 60's.  I imagine that your dedication to the discipline (pursuing a PhD) would be viewed favorably by admission committees.  As long as your statement of intent addresses the reason you want to go back to obtain your C's, I imagine you would be able to gain admission to a program.  Perhaps start by contacting the departments you are interested in?  Good luck in your pursuits!

Thank you for you candid opinions. I will be sure to explain very carefully in my statement of intent the very specific reasons why I am coming back to get my C's after completing the PhD. Thanks for your vote of confidence in thinking I can gain admission to a program. I really need to stay in the San Diego area so I am really limited in my choices (of which I stated above). Given the unique circumstances of my case I have sent emails to the Chairs/directors of the programs asking to come in and talk to them in person to explain my desire and reasons for applying. Hope that it will all work out.

Thank you for you candid opinions. I will be sure to explain very carefully in my statement of intent the very specific reasons why I am coming back to get my C's after completing the PhD. Thanks for your vote of confidence in thinking I can gain admission to a program. I really need to stay in the San Diego area so I am really limited in my choices (of which I stated above). Given the unique circumstances of my case I have sent emails to the Chairs/directors of the programs asking to come in and talk to them in person to explain my desire and reasons for applying. Hope that it will all work out.

I'm sure with your unique situation that you'll be fine. What program wouldn't love to have a masters student with a PhD??

My only concern if your stated application season of Spring 2014 (in your profile). You'll be hard-pressed to find many programs that offer Spring admissions now. From my personal inquiries, a lot of schools are opting to limit admissions exclusively to the Fall quarter/semester. Why? It's likely due to economics and other gobbledygook. The one Spring admit that I did find (during my limited research) was St. John's University in NY. I know it's not SD, but if time is a deciding factor and you are unable to wait until the Fall, I'd look into that and other potential Spring programs.

Best of luck!

I'm sure with your unique situation that you'll be fine. What program wouldn't love to have a masters student with a PhD??

My only concern if your stated application season of Spring 2014 (in your profile). You'll be hard-pressed to find many programs that offer Spring admissions now. From my personal inquiries, a lot of schools are opting to limit admissions exclusively to the Fall quarter/semester. Why? It's likely due to economics and other gobbledygook. The one Spring admit that I did find (during my limited research) was St. John's University in NY. I know it's not SD, but if time is a deciding factor and you are unable to wait until the Fall, I'd look into that and other potential Spring programs.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your vote of confidence! Yes, I believe that you are quite correct in that I will need to wait another year at this point to apply for the next admission Fall quarter/semester.  Unforunate in my case but it is what it is and nothing I can do about it given that I need to apply to schools in and around the SD area. Thanks for the heads up on that---I appreciate it.

Good morning, Californians! Alright, so when are we hearing back from Fullerton again? >:( HURRY UPPPPPPP

Thanks to ArrowGirlie, UofR is supposed to get results *soon*! Eek!
Anyone have any news on when Chapman is going to make decisions?
Anyone have any details on CSUN?

Don't they know we're all obsessing over grad cafe like we're "overlyattached girlfriend"? 
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5!

I'd take the UofR thing with a grain of salt. Lots of undergrads+lots of stress= great environment for rumors. I still haven't seen anyone talking about getting results, but I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you!

I'm still holding hope for a Fullerton answer this week! Looking at past decisions on the results page doesn't bode well for the timeliness of their responses. There were a handful of irate applicants who didn't get notified until well after the April 15th commitment deadline...

As for LA, we're beginning our finals week today, so I suppose they will be coming to a decision sometime next week during the Spring break. Or maybe the week after that?

Anyway, back to these rehab audio, neuro and adv lang development notes/lectures!

I'm a post-bacc at Fullerton and FYI- Dr. Tsao informed our class that she's still finalizing the graduate applications at the moment and will be finalizing decisions by next week (this could carry to the first week of April). 

Also, phone calls+e-mails are going to be sent out to the admitted students. I'm not sure where people heard that admissions decisions were going to be finalized by last Friday, but just know that it's going to happen very soon!

Edited by y1989

Nope, still waiting on CSUEB. I can't say we're optimistic at this point, especially with only ~15 spots for those who have completed their pre-reqs. Trying to figure out how to strength the app for next year - LORs, maybe? 

Nope, still waiting on CSUEB. I can't say we're optimistic at this point, especially with only ~15 spots for those who have completed their pre-reqs. Trying to figure out how to strength the app for next year - LORs, maybe? 

Don't fret...I emailed Marianna Wolff and she said we won't hear back until early to mid April. Anything is possible!!

Don't fret...I emailed Marianna Wolff and she said we won't hear back until early to mid April. Anything is possible!!

I'm hoping it's closer to early! Not too early, though, we'll be in the south bay the first week of April, to visit friends/family, and I would rather avoid anything souring the trip haha. Have you been to the campus before? We visited last Christmas and I was shocked by how pretty it was (compared to my mental images of Hayward, at least).

Still waiting on San Francisco State with bated breath...

Me too!  Has anyone gotten any info about when they might be notifying? I feel like I turned in their application so long ago!

Received e-mail today from SFSU stating that I made it to Stage II of the admissions process! I totally did not see this coming. There will be a 'Google Plus' interview (skype?) and a timed writing sample... yikes! I never knew I could feel so many emotions at once, I can't decide whether to be excited or scared to death!

Received e-mail today from SFSU stating that I made it to Stage II of the admissions process! I totally did not see this coming. There will be a 'Google Plus' interview (skype?) and a timed writing sample... yikes! I never knew I could feel so many emotions at once, I can't decide whether to be excited or scared to death!

Me too!  At this point I was already sort of giving up on SFSU.  Now I'm realizing that if we do make it in, we will probably only have a few days to make a decision!  Eek!  

Has anyone heard anything about the SFSU interview process?