SLP 2013 CALIFORNIA Admissions!!

There were a few acceptances that went out last friday for CSUF. ... there was no activity on grad cafe so i'm really hoping these were early admits and that the grad committee may have some finishing up still. 

Since this is a California thread, I figured I'd ask here.

Do any of you have information/input about University of the Pacific? I was looking into their accelerated program online and really liked what I saw. I wanted to hear any of your opinions before deciding to attend an open house.

:)

Since this is a California thread, I figured I'd ask here.

Do any of you have information/input about University of the Pacific? I was looking into their accelerated program online and really liked what I saw. I wanted to hear any of your opinions before deciding to attend an open house.

:)

I am currently a senior in the undergrad program at The University of the Pacific and love it! It is VERY challenging and the course load is demanding! (but then again I assume grad school would be in general haha!) The Professors are amazing and are very helpful. Sorry if I am being generic, but it is truly a great program. I was accepted into the 15 month program and I'm 90% sure that I will attend Pacific.

If you want me to answer specific questions, please ask away! 

I am currently a senior in the undergrad program at The University of the Pacific and love it! It is VERY challenging and the course load is demanding! (but then again I assume grad school would be in general haha!) The Professors are amazing and are very helpful. Sorry if I am being generic, but it is truly a great program. I was accepted into the 15 month program and I'm 90% sure that I will attend Pacific.

If you want me to answer specific questions, please ask away! 

Oh, this is so awesome to hear! I just have a few questions, if you don't mind me asking :)

- Do you feel that there are any negatives about the program/faculty/facilities that you've experienced?

- I am aware that California schools are a bit competitive. Do you feel that it is quite difficult to be accepted there? 

- I read online that The University of the Pacific was just recently accredited. Is it a fairly new program?

- Is there anything specific about the program that you really like?

- Do you have any advice for someone looking to go there? About the faculty, atmosphere, area, etc.?

Nope, still waiting on CSUEB. I can't say we're optimistic at this point, especially with only ~15 spots for those who have completed their pre-reqs. Trying to figure out how to strength the app for next year - LORs, maybe? 

Just wondering where you read that there are only 15 spots for students who have completed pre-reqs? 

Is anyone currently doing their undergrad at SDSU? Looks like I may not be able to visit and I would love to know more about their program, faculty, campus, etc. from someone who's been! 

I'm not doing my undergrad at SDSU, but I visited after being accepted to the audiology program, so I can give you my general impressions!

The faculty were all EXTREMELY welcoming.  I showed up on campus expecting to poke around a bit and go home, but some students saw me and took me to the director's office. The director spent a few minutes talking to me, and then took me over to go see an audiology professor who was meeting with another prospective student. I ended up getting a tour of the entire building, and all of my questions were answered.

The building itself is well maintained, and on the edge of the campus. It's not brand spanking new like you'll see in some programs, but it's neat and clean. The downstairs area has a waiting room, the clinic, and the audiology student computer lab. The SLP students and the audiology students each appear to have their own computer labs (I can really only speak for the audiology program, here). If I recall correctly, most of the offices and classrooms are upstairs. I was amused when the audiology professor told me that a selling point for the program was that "the audiology classrooms have windows!" The building design really doesn't allow for many windows.

I don't think I'll be attending SDSU, not because of the program, but because I received a better financial offer elsewhere. The people are all extremely nice and laid back, so I definitely felt comfortable in that respect. This is getting a lot longer than I planned, though, so I'll stop blabbing. :)

Thank you! I thought that audiology was competitive until I talked to all of my SLP friends. I'm keeping fingers, toes, and everything else crossed for all of you guys. The entire process is just brutal.

Sooooooo for the SFSU writing sample we have to find a location and a professor to proctor it... and they're telling us 1 week ahead of time?! Seriously?! I go to school online!  :wacko:

Sooooooo for the SFSU writing sample we have to find a location and a professor to proctor it... and they're telling us 1 week ahead of time?! Seriously?! I go to school online!  :wacko:

Seriously? :( That's terribly inconvenient unless you happen to be their undergrad and knew it was coming!

Oh no :( did you Google up some local proctoring services? Or call them for advise on where to go?

Your online program doesn't make you go to proctoring services for your exams?

Good luck with it!

Nope, our exams and quizzes are just timed. I went to school at FAU for a few semesters, and I worked for one of my professors so I'm going to ask him. I feel bad though because I know how busy he is. Ain't nobody got time for proctoring!!! ;) Thanks guys, hopefully it goes well!

Edited by fsustar83

That's really annoying (understatement), but good luck with your writing sample!

I don't think it has to be a professor. I was thinking more along the lines of those private exam proctoring services. I think you mentioned you're in FL, right? This one is in Orlando: http://www.valenciaenterprises.org/testing.cfm

If you're not near them, you can try to find another? My university offers proctoring services by hired staff (sometimes even student employees) for students that had emergencies or need more time due to disabilities. Maybe call some school disabilities offices to see if they can recommend a private company?

Yep- fullerton already sent out calls last friday to those that were accepted. Only 14 seats for the grad program... :( 

The grad advisor also stated that there is no wait list this year (doesn't make sense to me) and that rejections will be going out this week. If you dont receive anything by next week, it's probably not a good sign either.

I think ~4 from CSUF were accepted and the rest.. I'm not too sure. Congrats to those that were! This was my reach and the school of my choice, but didn't realize how incredibly impacted it was at offering only 14 seats. 

Holy batman! Yeah a lot of the CA schools only offer ~15-20 spots :( I actually prefer to be in a program like that for the personal attention, but I feel they should be offering more than ONE cohort group per year then...

I feel it's not responsible for them to spit out soooo many undergrads and post-bacs without being able to supply positions for even the top 10-20% of the grads.. Forcing those rejected to apply again another year with even MORE people as competition. There shouldn't be such an impacted situation. I call BS on them not having the $, since we all pay $$$ for tuition. And the job market is still needing so many more grads.

End rant. Luckily, I have a position next year. I am just so upset at the system for shutting out so many well deserving students. :( my closest friends and classmates are struggling to find placement, and they're all very well deserving.

Holy batman! Yeah a lot of the CA schools only offer ~15-20 spots :( I actually prefer to be in a program like that for the personal attention, but I feel they should be offering more than ONE cohort group per year then...

I feel it's not responsible for them to spit out soooo many undergrads and post-bacs without being able to supply positions for even the top 10-20% of the grads.. Forcing those rejected to apply again another year with even MORE people as competition. There shouldn't be such an impacted situation. I call BS on them not having the $, since we all pay $$$ for tuition. And the job market is still needing so many more grads.

End rant. Luckily, I have a position next year. I am just so upset at the system for shutting out so many well deserving students. :( my closest friends and classmates are struggling to find placement, and they're all very well deserving.

I couldn't agree more. There has to be some sort of fiscally responsible solution to the impacted mess we have here in California.

No one mentioned that to me!  I'm getting stressed about the whole thing- I still haven't been told what kind of computer set-up I need for the interview, either.

No one mentioned that to me!  I'm getting stressed about the whole thing- I still haven't been told what kind of computer set-up I need for the interview, either.

It's so last minute and unorganized. I'm starting to think this is their way of weeding some people out :/